Thread: Marlin XL 7

Default Marlin XL 7

After having been on backorder since they were announced, we finally got our first XL 7 Marlin bolt gun in today. When I picked it up, it really really felt 'familiar', but not a direct copy of anything in totality. First off, the stock fit me perfectly, and for a plastic fantastic, seems to be a decent piece. Steel pillar bedded, but blind magazine with synthetic trigger guard. The recoil pad feels an awful lot like the Pachmayr Decelerator to me with Marlin's name on it.
    The rifle has a familiar profile to the action, if you ignore the barrel nut. From the left side, it looks like a Weatherby Vanguard/Winchester Model 70, and indeed, it takes any Model 70 base or bases. The bolt releas is in the same place and is operated exactly like the Model 70's. The bolt body is fluted like the Vanguards, and the bolt shroud at the end looks Weatherby-ish. The locking lugs are pinned to the forward end of the bolt ala Savage 110, is well done, and the extractor mimics the 110 and Model 70 push feed.
    The trigger looks from the outside to be a Savage Acu Trigger, but it's Marlin's take on the concept, the one on this rifle 'feels' right at three pounds, breaks clean, and no overtravel. The instructions say it's user adjustable down to 2 1/4 pounds. We'll see.
    The one we got is chambered to .30-06, and when the owner priced it at $299.00, I told him it was sold! We sell the 200 Stevens and the Mossbergs for the same price, and this gun is WAY better than either of those pieces.
    I agreed to leave it on display at the store until the .270 that was supposed to come in today makes it. Means I won't be able to get it to the range till next weekend, but if it shoots like any of my other Marlins, I doubt I'll be disappointed.
    I haven't been enthused about many bargain guns, but this one 'feels' like a sleeper. If it has a downside, it's only available (for now) in .25-06, .270, and '06.
    Let you know how the range trip goes when I get 'er done.......

I'd be interested to hear how it shoots. Have heard good things about these new marlins. I have enough '06s in the stable but a 25 now there's an.........

Default Just brought it home...

Trigger on this sample goes right at 2 3/4 pounds! Mounted a 2.5-10X40 Bausch & Lomb 4200 Elite on it in Weaver matte finish rings and the supplied Weaver model 70 bases. Collimated the thing, am in the process of scrubbing the oil coat out of the barrel. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take it out and start breaking the barrel in.
    Fella came in the store today that bought a .270 a week ago, reports initial groups of just over an inch with it.......