Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schweet!! Somebody gave up their musk ox tag and I got it!!!

Default Schweet!! Somebody gave up their musk ox tag and I got it!!!

Got a letter in today from Bethel Fish and Game saying that I've won a bull musk ox permit (DX003) from being the next in line on the alternate list! I've been trying to get a musk ox tag for several years, so I'm all jacked up for this opportunity! I've got a friend that might come along, but there is a chance I'll be going solo on this one. I'll be using a transporter but I'll need to figure out which one.

Any information that some of you could share would be appreciated. I've got some dates in mind, so I need to get things lined out with a transporter soon to try and get them locked in. How long does a transporter give you to get a bull? I'm going with the bow, so I might need a few days instead of just a run and gun type of hunt. Do you stay with the transporter, or is there a hotel there? How much do the transporters charge? How much for a non-hunting companion?

It'll be a while before I come off of this high! I'm loving the fact that I've got a killer hunt lined out for the middle of winter now.

Default !

Christmas comes early! Just when most of us have pictures to look at from the last season. Best of luck, keep the ribs intact, best you will ever have

Jerod, be prepared to spend a large amount of cash. Your trip from ANC to MYU will probably about $800-$900. I don't know what transporter's for a bull tag is, but it will be spendy ($2500).

Just to give you a little info...

Most transporters have you sleep in their homes.

PM sent.

Thanks guys. Kusko, I appreciate the information. I'm trying to figure out the best dates to head down there, so the main question I have is how long does a transporter give you to bag an animal? Should I plan on 2 or 3 days/nights in Mekoryuk?

I priced out the flight from Fairbanks to Mekoryuk on Frontier/Hagelands, and it is around $1100. From Bethel to Mekoryuk and back is $450 on Hagelands. I'll give Grant's a call and see what they are charging.

Default some info

add $1,500 to your transporter fee. $4,000.00 is what I was quoted last year. I am sending you a PM of hunt info I discovered.

I ended up letting my wife's tag go. I could not afford the hunt at the time, and have kicked myself in the butt ever since we did not go. I figured by the time we had an animal hanging on the wall we would be at $10,000. I wish I could get the permit again. Good luck on your hunt.

Afhunter, is right on with the total price. I have a friend that did it last year and he said he spent between $8000.00 to $10,000.00. He also said that it was a hunt of a life time and money well spent. He called ahead and ask the transporter what he needed and made a few new friends by bringing in some hard to get items for the local folks.

Good Luck and can't wait to see the pictures.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default musk ox

congrats on the tag. great hunt did it a few years back,transporter was james whittman. good guy and knows where they are,comes highly recomended.bring a big filet(brand new) great for intial cuts.then goto the piranta interchangeable blades(scapel size 22)
    james will line you up with everything you need. good luck

If money is a problem a resident could always come to Nome On Dec. 30, pick up the registration permit, and start hunting on Jan1. Some services are available to help a guy get in the field.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default The same thing happened to me

Jerod I know how you feel. Fish and Game called me out of the blue a few years ago and asked me if I wanted a tag since a few of the drawing permit winners didn't want to go. I also hunted with my bow. As everyone has said it is a very spendy hunt but I am glad I did it. It was like riding a snowmobile and hunting on the moon. Dress Warm and bring white coveralls!!!!!

I used a transporter named Charlie and I stayed at his house and I did most of the cooking since I soon discovered Charlie was a good guy but not in the kitchen. Charlie put his 7mm in my sled just in case I gave up on the bow. This saved me from hauling a rifle and a bow. Charlie said I could stay until I got one. We only lost one day to weather.

I used Alaska airline miles to get to Mekoryuk on ERA but I don't think they fly to the village anymore. Mail game bags and other gear out a few weeks ahead of time in fish boxes. Then bring the meat back in the boxes. The mail is the cheapest way to send your stuff out. The airlines that fly to the village only give you like 40 lbs of gear. Take a huge duffle for the hide. I took a Cabelas that a person can fit in and it was barely big enough. I also recommend the Havalon knives with the changeable blades. No more sharpening. Take goggles for the riding the snowmobile.

Look in the magazine articles on this site and read the one about the muskox bowhunter. Contact me if you have any questions. http://outdoorsdirectory.com/magazin...sk_ox_hunt.htm

Here's where I'm at so far. Transporter fee is $3,000 and an observer is going to cost $500-$600. Flight from Bethel to Mekoryuk is $450 per the Hageland Air website. Tag cost is $500. I have not researched shipping fees yet, and plan to cash in mileage from Fairbanks to Bethel, so right now I'm around $4500 minus shipping.

The nice part is this can be broken up over the span of several months, but the prices are definately on the increase! Taxidermy bill will be a year or more down the road, so I'm not factoring that in right now either.

Canadian hunts are going for a minimum of $5000 fully guided, and after travel, tags, tax and gratuity are added in, it would be well over 6K. I had a couple of friends give up their tags thinking going to Canada would be cheaper, but I think Nunivak is still going to be the better deal for the short term.

Default Congrats, Jerod!

Do us a favor: document your hunt. Take lots of pics and write up a story.

That's as rare a hunt as most will ever read about, much less experience.

Frank

Will do Frank. We'll also be taking video of the hunt as well, so I'll be sure to post everything up when I get back.

Default Muslox Mount

What kind of mount do you do for a Musk Ox. I have a permit this winter for the hunt out of Shismaref and starting to make plans for it. The only mounts I remember seeing have been full body.

Randy

Default Good Luck

Jerod! Good luck! Most of all HAVE fun!

Look forward to your pics and story.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks BassKing!

Randy, I plan on just doing a shoulder mount. I've seen quite a few of them and they look great in my opinion. Cost should be at or around $1,000. A full body mount is up and around 4 grand, and the wife isn't going for it. I've seen a couple of rugs as well and they look pretty slick. Good luck on your hunt!

Default This is what it is all about!!!

Here is a picture of my muskox. Make sure to take pictures without the snowmobiles. I had to photoshop mine out. Practice shooting with all your winter gear on so you don't blow the shot. My arrows did not penetrate like they do on moose. In fact they only went in about half way. My muskox took three arrows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

congrats! my buddy has the nunivak tag and will be going in Feb. i look forward to hearing your and his stories!

AKHUNTINFOOL, thanks for the tips and the picture. I'll make sure to have a clear backdrop on the pictures. Did you cape yours out around the head? I'm curious how it was trying to get around the horns.

Thanks Berto. I booked and put a deposit down with Abe David for the 18-23rd of February. He didn't have many slots left, and James Whitman only had a little time open but it didn't fit my schedule. I have a good friend from Juneau coming along with me, so that's making me a lot more comfortable about the trip. February won't come soon enough now!

Do you know who your friend is going with and what days in February?

Here is some information on shipping and flying into Mekoryuk. Shipping frieght is $1.25/lb from Mekoryuk to Bethel. The overweight bag fee is $1.75/lb. If I wanted to freight back everything from Mekoryuk to Fairbanks, it would be $3.74/lb... ouch.

Hageland will let you take 100lbs on the plane with you, and I checked USPS and the rates aren't much at all for normal mail even out of Mekoryuk. I plan to mail my gear back and take the meat and hide with me on the planes to make sure it doesn't get held up somewhere and go bad.

I'm expecting between 200-250lbs of meat after it is all boned out, and with the hide it looks like it'll be around $400 to ship from Mekoryuk to Bethel. Once in Bethel I'll send it Ak Air Cargo to Fairbanks.

My estimate that this trip is going to cost me is around $5,500, but that includes using mileage to get to and from Fairbanks/Bethel.

Default Caping

I skinned my muskox as a lifesize even though I was sure I was just doing a shoulder mount. I still have the tanned backskin. Caping a muskox was more time consuming than other animals I have done. The horns grow so close to the side of the head that its difficult to skin under the horns. Your transporter may be able to give you some tips on the best way to take the head out. I also visited a taxidermist before I went and had them show me how they do it. I did not skin between the horns, I just cut it off. This was easily replaced by the my taxidermist. When I got back to Anchorage I cut the horns off with a chainsaw and a sawzall. Your taxidermist should treat the horns with some nasty chemicals to keep the bugs out. Unlike sheep you don't pop the horns off to mount them. I ended up with 228 lbs of boned out meat. Shoot straight!!!

You could give Abe David a call. I used him when he was just starting out and another friend used him several years later. He is a good guy and a hard worker. I took a book bull with a smoke pole and so did my friend years later. bring some gourmet coffee and he and his wife Mona will be your best friends.

The "Nuge" called me once and I gave him the same info. it worked out!

jk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast