Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreman or Grizzly

Default Foreman or Grizzly

Well, I've narrowed my choices down to two ATV's. I'll have the $ at the end of the month. I'm thinking the Grizzly 450 auto 4x4 or the Foreman 4x4 ES. I'm about split on what to get, so maybe you guys could throw in some comments to sway me one way or the other. I may be 55% yamaha, 45% honda as of today. Thanks.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Lightbulb the big choice.

Rip, Sounds like you've done your homework, The comparo is not quite apples and apples.
    The grizzly is a fun ride, its more sport oriented. Super plush ride. The 450 is not as tough as the honda. The front diff lock is very useful in the goop.
    The honda ES is a trusty and butt-jarring single axle work horse that will go and go. For all 'round ranch/homestead work and hunting its a good choice. For combo fun/hunt/trailriding the grizzly is the ticket. Really tough pulling should be left to the the Honda

In time, the drum brake on the honda will need constant attention if you ride deep mud/water often.

Frank has it right, for a work/hunt oriented machine thats tough as nails, you cannot go wrong with the Foreman. The Grizzly will have a softer ride and will probably perform better in the mud over the Foreman but since I won a Foreman, my vote goes there. You cannot beat a Honda!

Talking Giz All THe Way

The other two posts say it all....if you want a bone jarring tough machine then the Honda is the way to go. If you want a ride that is a machine that does most everything yet is comfortable than the Griz is it.

I own a Griz and my buddy has a Honda....after 3 to 4 hours of riding he is done....while I am enjoying my comfortable ride. I have not had any problems with towing my meat wagon, not any major maintenance issues. If you are going to do any seriuos amount of time on the seat I would strongly reccomend the Griz.

One other issue is look at it from the rear and picture it going through the mud. Look at the different types of braking and see what issues you may think of of. I have had my rig floating down a river and never had any issues with water in the oil or slippage. I have never had any brake issues no matter how much mud and muskeg I had stuffed inside.....

No matter what you choose...have fun and ride itr as much as you can!!!!

The Griz will pull a trailer just fine. I just pulled out a moose in my meatwagon saturday. I have an 02 660 and 2 friends that have them also. Great machines. I know a guy who finally got tired of his swing arm, drum brakin, but jarrin, 3 wheel drive honda. He went out and bought an Outlander 800!. With the Griz you get IRS, Diff Lock, Ultramatic auto (HD solid tranny). To me it's a no brainer. The Griz is a better value and has been on the market for years. But why stop at the 450? Spend and extra grand or so and get the 660 or even the new 700FI. You won't regret it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Cool Size

Bigger is not always better.

That's true but the 660 only weighs 9 lbs more- 591 vs 600, has better rear brake (shaft disc), more suspension travel, better ground clearance and a bigger gas tank. So, you get better power to weight ratio, better brakes and a better suspension for a little over a grand. Plus better resale down the road. Seems like a better value.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Bigger is not always better.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Grizzz...

It (Grizz) gets my vote. I have a YMF 400 Kodiak. My friend has a Grizzly 660 and I could see the difference in ride and comfort over my Kodiak. On a recent hunt he was easily moving down the trail while myself and the solid shaft rear axled machine slowly tooled on to keep up. We managed to pull out his Moose with our machines. I enjoy my machine however and it may not have the attributes as the Honda described as your other choice, but it works well. And go for the 660, you will be alot happier.

Cool Old argument

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    That's true but the 660 only weighs 9 lbs more- 591 vs 600, has better rear brake (shaft disc), more suspension travel, better ground clearance and a bigger gas tank. So, you get better power to weight ratio, better brakes and a better suspension for a little over a grand. Plus better resale down the road. Seems like a better value.
    Brakes are a non issue and the resale value of the Honda will hold better than the Grizz. So you got a bigger gas tank, better suspension, and more ground clearance, with the bigger engine you'll need that bigger tank. The reason the Grizz weighs only 9 more lbs than the Foreman is because of all the plastic parts on it. We could argue all day long about who's is better but that the fact of the matter is that most machines will get the job done, no matter who makes it, well, except for maybe Polaris :-)

Not trying to argue. Just saying that if a guy is looking hard at a 450 Griz he may want to seriously consider the 660 instead. I disagree that brakes are a non issue though. As far as gas consumption goes. If the machines weigh basically the same then the 450 is going to be working a lot harder to get the job done than the 660. My 660 is plenty fuel efficient and I have 27 inch tires and clutch kit. I see the fuel economy as a none issue, negligable. When you are hauling a heavy trailer a bigger engine and better brakes can make a huge difference though.

I wasn't comparing the Honda to the Griz for resale. I was referring to the 450 versus the 660 Griz. However, I'm not sure that the Honda Foreman will hold it's value any better than a 660 Griz.

Look at what the folks in the villages off the road system and the lodge owners buy - Honda.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    Look at what the folks in the villages off the road system and the lodge owners buy - Honda.
    Mike
    Cause there's lots of spare parts to use from the other bashed up machines. Theres nothing but Honda parts all over the villages. Buy a Chevy.

Thanks for the 660 recommendation. That sounds like a viable option, and I wasn't aware of the differences mentioned. You know, when buying my Tacoma, I checked the mpg of the 4, 6, and 8 cylinders on various frames. They were all within a couple mpg of each other, and I think it's related to how much the engine has to strain to move the machine. I would assume the 660 actually has better gas mileage (or at least tied) than the 450. Yamaha offers a good wench option now, until Dec. 31.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Ya I'm not sure what the mileage is but I figure I can go 80 miles pretty easy on a tank and I have 27 inch BiTri Claw MudMachine tires and a clutch kit. Of course it depends on what your doing also. Cruising down a dirt road a 40mph in high range the 450 will probably do better but...I'll tell you what, pulling a heavy trailer through deep mud and up hills is no prob for the 660 griz. I don't really care about fuel economy when it comes to that. I want the power to get the job done. Here's a pic of my griz last week with a whole moose in the meat wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    Thanks for the 660 recommendation. That sounds like a viable option, and I wasn't aware of the differences mentioned. You know, when buying my Tacoma, I checked the mpg of the 4, 6, and 8 cylinders on various frames. They were all within a couple mpg of each other, and I think it's related to how much the engine has to strain to move the machine. I would assume the 660 actually has better gas mileage (or at least tied) than the 450. Yamaha offers a good wench option now, until Dec. 31.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL, didn't think about the "parts reserves"!
    That being said, there are still a lot more Hondas out there than any other (probably adding all the others together).
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Honda all the way

I wouldnt consider anything other than honda. We dont care about ride, we just want to be able to get to our hunting locations and back home without any troubles. Hondas are by far in my opinion, the most bullet proof ATV's on the market. Even though they hold there resale value, we dont sell good tools anyway. The honda wont let you down when its on the line. Thats why there expensive. They ride rough because they use a time tested old school suspension system that is designed to be worked hard for decades. Yes there slow, yes they ride rough but they do it for years without failure. As for range, heck if your going in that far most likely youll have a trailer anyway so bring xtra gas. Lastly how many yamaha's or any other makes do you see that routinely have a service life of +20 years. Theres a ton of old hondas still going. Unless you have just tons of $$ and dont mind buying a junky city boy machine every few years man up and buy a honda.

Default Honda!

Only buy a Honda!

Gusto

Default Honda vs grizzy

My honda may not beat a grizzy in a race but this is what I can tell you. My buddy rolled his down a mountain 4 times end over end with no rocks or no major hard surfaces and My Honda this year came off my trailer when 2 straps came off and went bouncing down the highway at least 12-15 foot it the air, rolling to a stop. His had 3 times the damage. I bent my rearend, all 4 rims and my rear rack. It was 400$ for rear end parts and I bent my rack back and painted it for 5$. I purchased new ATP mudlights and rims for $600. Total to fix was $1000. Ok I did not need new tires, I could of bought new rims for $220. My machine is better than new and my buddy's is in worse shape with almost twice as much spent. I have rolled it down mountains, floated down creeks and rivers, burried in the mud, pulled trucks and cars around with it, moved truck loads of dirt around with it and plowed for the last 6 years with it. With the honda if you remember to change the oil occassionally and fix any flats, it will last forever. I pulled out my sons polaris, meat trailer with a whole moose and about 150 pounds of gear while moose hunting this year 7 miles. Most of getting stuck has to do with the operator's riding techiques and the tires. The new mudlites I think you could climb a tree with. If interested you can get the locking front axle kit too.

Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 09-14-2006 at 16:16. Reason: bad typing

Terry,
    Do you have the locking front axle kit on yours?

Honda! Honda! Honda! 10 years down the road you'll thank us, when she is still getting every job done for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast