Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covering the gun barrel

Default Covering the gun barrel

I've noticed in alot of the pictures up here, there are alot of people that use duck tape or something plastic to put over the end of the barrel. Is this to keep water and other debris out , and if so what would work the best? Duct tape or some sort of plastic. Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i like black electric tape...and it is usually in the winter when snow could pack the end full.

with my ported rifle... i found a small neoprene glove and cut the little finger off and slipped it over the end... i have to pull it to fire and use a small cord tied to the front swivel to keep from loosing it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I know alot of guys who use a small balloon.

Most folks I know just put a piece of electrical tape over the barrel. And several of us put a few raps around the barrel to make sure we carry extra.

Yes it keeps water, twigs, ice et al out of the bore.

I've had an occasion where I tripped over an unseen log in a swamp, and managed to bury the rifle up to the action. Still got water in, via the action, but no mud in the bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    I've noticed in alot of the pictures up here, there are alot of people that use duck tape or something plastic to put over the end of the barrel. Is this to keep water and other debris out , and if so what would work the best? Duct tape or some sort of plastic. Thanks
    Electrical tape here. It's to keep everything out. Did a lot of testing and there's no difference in impact between the first shot and those that follow. A good friend's son got the rifle of his dreams last Christmas and evidently got something down the barrel a month ago while working through dead salmonberry stalks. Saw a nice buck and fired. Didn't do any damage to him or the buck, but the barrel split end to end. Factory did some testing and determined it was definitely a bore obstruction. Replaced it for free anyway. How can you beat that?

Cover your bore.

There are a few stores locally that carry bore condoms (lack of better word)
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default electrical tape

Black electrical tape works good for me. I carry a whole roll, it is useful for other stuff too.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Electrical tape here. It's to keep everything out. Did a lot of testing and there's no difference in impact between the first shot and those that follow...
    I'll second that. No difference in POI or group size at 200 yards.

I do try and carry enough that I can replace it each morning after I wipe down the rifle at night. Once saw some rust spots after a fellow left one piece on for an entire hunt.

I once tripped and filled my bore with gunk right through a latex muzzle cover. It's not as easy to find a relatively straight blueberry bush the right length when you're on a mountainside as you might think... Electrical tape is tougher.

Default Sure could of used some

On this day. Besides the barrel the only thing touching is the end of the sling.
    About 2 inches of frozen ground stuck in the end
    No the empty beer cans had nothing to do with it.

Use electrical tape, duct tape will leave a sticky, gummy residue on your muzzle.

So to clairify, you guys don't take the black tape off before you shoot.
    You shoot threw it?

Electrical tape. One or two strips over the muzzle and a wrap around it to make sure it doesn't slip off. Extra partial roll in the pack with other survival gear. Shoot right through it, no change in zero. If you are on a really wet multi-day hunt it is a good idea to take the take the tape off periodically and look at the bore so that you don't find any unpleasant orange surprises in there.

Finger cots work great too! They can be found at any pharmacy...what you put on your finger *BEFORE* you insert a suppository. Not a pretty picture, but they work great on a gun barrel.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gladetop View Post
    You shoot threw it?
    yes shoot through it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    There are a few stores locally that carry bore condoms (lack of better word)
    They're actually called "barrel cots".
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    They're actually called "barrel cots".
    As ak257 pointed out, they're an adaptation of finger cots.

But latex - or even nitrile - cots aren't strong enough to keep gunk out of your barrel if you do what AK Duckman did.

Default Condoms

I have found they come off too easy. Electrical tape is better.

Default Muzzle tape...

I use electrical tape on rifles muzzles to keep the mud, rocks and sticks out. Tape will stay on the muzzle all the time, even in the Alder brush. My rifles are never ported, so one piece across the barrel works fine.

Some of my client/hunters shoot rifles with those ports, whose recoil reducing muzzle port devices that have contributed greatly towards my increasing deafness. The guys with these ported barrels use the muzzle condoms, without any tape. Several times each day, after every trip through any Alder bushes they get to replace the muzzle comdom, because the bushes always rip them or slide 'em off the barrell.

The bullet shoots through the tape. Inside your barrel is a 22 or 24 inch column of air between the forward end of the bullet and the end of the muzzle. When that bullet gets launched at 2800 or 3000 feet per second, that column of air will blast through the tape prior to the bullets arrival. Back when I had extra time in my life I actually did some accuracy tests with my '06, a .338, and a 58 cal muzzle-loader. Muzzle tape or no tape, the target point-of-impact seemed to always remain constant.

Side bar note....I really hate rifles with recoil reducing muzzle ports...really, really...."What? Hah? Say again? Can't hear ya!!"
    Wear double hearing protection.

Dennis B.
    Alaska True Alaska Guide Service
    Last edited by AlaskaTrueAdventure; 10-24-2008 at 21:40. Reason: to make sence

Electrical tape for sure ! I have been using it ever since I began carrying a rifle. It is very durable and will not affect accuracy, ATA explained perfectly as to why.

BTW, I HATE muzzle breaks also... that's all I'll say on that subject for now.

Quote Originally Posted by gladetop View Post
    You shoot threw it?
    Electrical tape here.

I believe the tape may get blown off the end by the hot gases before the bullet ever makes contact with the tape, but I'm not 100% sure. Definitely no change in impact, and put a few extra wraps around the barrel (after covering the muzzle end) so you can recover the muzzle after you shoot.

Edited to add - not a fan of muzzle brakes either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast