Thread: extratuf

Default extratuf

I am going to Kodiak for the first time for Thanksgiving. I will be going on quite a few hikes, not sure exactly which ones yet. I have been told that extratufs make great hiking boots. Can anyone comment on that? I would like to stay dry during my stay in Kodiak, and warm. I have a hard time keeping my feet warm during the winter, would the insulated boots be the way to go? I believe they come in different heights, what height would be ideal? I am such a newbie to exploring the outdoors I need all the advice I can get!

Xtra toughs are great when you are around water, getting off a boat onto shore, moderately swampy area etc. A good set of rubber boots are a necessary pair of foot wair for most of Alaska. If you get the xtra toughs, make sure you get the felt insoles as they make the boot much more comfortable and will keep your feet warmer. They basically come in two heights, the std height and the low cut ones. I have a pair of low cut ones and they are good while on a boat, but less than ideal on shore. I've gotten water in them on more than one occasion, and wish I'd gone with the full height boots.

But, they come up short as hiking boots. They have no ankle support and your foot floats around in them. If you are hiking up in the hills, you'll want a pair of hiking boots.

As far as keeping feet warm, often times cold hands and feet are an indication of your bodies core not staying warm enough, so it restricts blood flow to the extremities. While I love modern synthetics, an old school down jacket weighs next to nothing and really keeps you toasty.

Default lacrosse or muck

You might think about going to the Lacrosse Alpha Burly or Muck boot, especially if your feet get cold. Same as extra tuff but they have thinsilate insulation or neoprene in the mucks. I have a pr of 800 gr Lacrosse they are great for spring breakup & these couple weeks. I like them so much I am replacing my wifes xtra tuffs with a pr.

I also enjoy my Burly boots. The ankle fit makes them easy to walk in. However, Kodiak this time of year is slimy and slippery, and anywhere you go will involve climbing and side-hilling. I'd rather have a stiff sole and ankle support, especially if I was going to carry a load on my back. I wouldn't like Burlys or Xtra Tuffs when coming down the hills through the berry canes. My standard leather hunting boots and gators would be my choice.

There is an excellent sporting goods store called Macks in Kodiak. Buy some boots from them. They will be able to sell you what you need and the price is close enough to Anchorage.

I do just about everything, almost anytime of the year in my Muck boots. I wouldn't go goat or sheep hunting in em, but for the casual stroll I love them!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I agree with all the points PaulH made. I've always owned Xtra Tuffs and use them nearly every day, but the tougher the hike, the more inferior they are as a boot. They are especially bad on snow - very slippery. Most serious outdoors people in SE Alaska and Kodiak own at least 2 pair of boots: Xtra Tuffs and some other form of hiking boot that gives more support and provides better grip for tougher hiking conditions.

+1 on the alpha burly's. I wear knee boots every day for work (8 months out of the year) and I had 2 pairs of burlys that lasted for 2 years apiece. Finally decided to try a pair of tuffs....and they are going to be my last pair too. Tuffs have no ankle support and they seem flimsy. The pair I bought had a hole in them in less than a month, right on the outside at the ankle. The hole wasn't from something poking through. Just walking in them wore a hole in the side. The best ones I had were a pair of alpha burlys made for field and stream. I think they were 800 or 1200 gram insulate. Nice lugs on the bottom for grip and excellent ankle support. The tuffs might be alright if your not going to wear them a lot, and they feel more like slippers than boots really. They are comfortable. But IMO they aren't worth it if your going to be doing a lot of outdoor activities in them.

Yeah, Extra Tuffs great on the boat, but wouldn't wear for hiking in. The Lacross Alpha Hunters would work better, but for Hiking, get a good hiking or hunting boot.

Extra Tuffs are great to have for all sorts of other stuff around the house, boating, washing the car, mowing the lawn, ect... would be worth to purchase for other than hiking in.

Another vote for Lacross burly's I use them for most all my moose hunting I have extra tough's also for the boat but they dont work near as well hiking. My lacross only last a year but they are worth it. I use my danners on the rough hikes.

Default Go Tuff or Go Home

I wear Xtratufs ~250 days a year. I buy a new pair about once a year. I rarely wear Tuffs in town because walking on the consistantly hard surfaces kills the soft rubber. One other way to wear out Tuff is to try and roll them over bulky pants or big calfs and cause the bottoms to wrinkle and eventually split from fatigue. For slick surfaces I have found few boots or shoes that work better than Tuffs and their chevron sole. Don't waste your money on insulated Tuffs; they suck. I dont like insulated boots as a rule unless it is below freezing and I am just sitting or standing. The key to fitting these boots is wearing boots small enough that a single or double pair of insoles makes them fit snug without any slop. Xtratufs are great to feel all the ground under your feet, kind of like moccasins.

Muck boots have the worst traction of any boot that touts itself as an outdoor boot; good otherwise.

Alpha Burleys are too sloppy on my foot and the uppers too stiff. Way too much insulation for hiking. I have some friends that swear by them though.

Default A little disagreement

Quote Originally Posted by FishinHank View Post
    ...Tuffs have no ankle support and they seem flimsy. The pair I bought had a hole in them in less than a month, right on the outside at the ankle. The hole wasn't from something poking through. Just walking in them wore a hole in the side. ...
    Man, my XtraTuffs have lasted for years and years. They don't get worn every day - probably just about 120 days a year. It has taken a long, long time to wear through the ankle. But then, I tend to brush my ankles together when I walk, so it's the inside that wore through.

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_nimrod View Post
    ... I rarely wear Tuffs in town because walking on the consistantly hard surfaces kills the soft rubber. ...
    I wear mine more on concrete and asphalt than the trail. And the soles are still in great shape after years of wear. I don't shuffle much when I walk, so maybe that's it. Amazing what a difference your gait can make, huh?