Thread: AR Mags

Default AR Mags

New stag will be arriving soon and am looking at getting more mags for it. Browsing through various sites/catalogs, it seems as if there are MANY options.

Plastic mags kind of have my attention. Cheaper and no doubt lighter. Any experience?

Whats your favorite for feed reliability, value, quality?

Strange forum for this post, but...o.k.

I definitely prefer the p-mags over the cheapo GI mags. Got a bunch of the p-mags for my birthday, haven't tried them yet, but they seem to be pretty well made and seem like they would stand up to quite a bit of abuse.

Personally I've found the one thing I don't like about them (So far) is the fact that the cartridge channel is simply cut out of the plastic, not molded in. Not sure how that will turn out in terms of longevity.

I still prefer the hK mags, but they're quite expensive.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Strange forum for this post, but...o.k.
    UGH! Sorry about that, I usually open 10-15 pages when browsing the forum....and yeah....this happens

P-mag meaning plastic mag? Would it behoove me to buy a couple aluminum mags also?

I imagine 30 rounders are most common, any other preferred size? Also curved vs. straight?

Default Mags

Not sure what caliber rifle you have, that is a major deal breaker on a lot of mags.
    If you want 223 high quality plastic mags, MAG-PULL seem to work flawlessly in my AR and my friends as well. They are however more expensive than some other brands or military metal mags.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    UGH! Sorry about that, I usually open 10-15 pages when browsing the forum....and yeah....this happens

P-mag meaning plastic mag? Would it behoove me to buy a couple aluminum mags also?

I imagine 30 rounders are most common, any other preferred size? Also curved vs. straight?

S'all good, I was just thinking you might get a few more responses if you were to put it in the shooting forum.

Yes, when I said P-mag I meant plastic/polymer. I believe there is actually a manufacturer that goes by that though.

I have the magpul magazines. They would probably work just fine for you. I don't think it would hurt to get an aluminum mag or two. Like I said, get the hK mags if you can. HUGE quality difference. They're expensive but you can find them used around town for under $50

30 round is most common, magazine capacity really is user preference. If your using it for caribou/predator hunting you might not want to lug a 30 rnd. out there with you, etc.

I don't really know if there's a big difference between curved/straight. I believe that is more or less due to the capacity of the mags. However I would think curved would be better in that it would allow you to shoot prone a bit easier? (This also, I would think, would depend on the mag. size)

Good luck with your decision, and don't necessarily take any of the above as gold, I'm fairly new to the AR game myself.

Jon

Default Decent priced mags

The Magpul (brand name) P-mags are getting great reviews. I'm thinking about picking up a few myself - I've seen them for ~15 on the net. I've also had good luck with C Products mags, with the new Magpul followers. These can be found for ~10 on the internet, some sites even offer free shipping. I shot you a PM with a couple of links I've used to buy AR mags. At $10 a piece, which is way cheaper than local, you can buy a bunch and afford to trash a battered mag. Stock up now

blakdimnd, thanks for the PM, that helps. Looks like I'm going to get a half dozen magpuls and a few others before the 4th...

Still looking for a decent price on one, maybe two hK's

If you buy GI mags, stay away from Cooper and Sanchez. Both had feeding issues and were removed from service when I was in the Marine Corps.

I just ordered some from 44 mag, let you know how they work. Can't beat there prices, and they ship USPS so shipping isn't a killer. I'd wanted some 10 rd mags for range work and varmints, and nobody seems to carry them locally. Also picked up some 30 rd mags, couldn't pass up the $10 price.

Are those ten dollar mags polymer or regular GI?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I just ordered some from 44 mag, let you know how they work. Can't beat there prices, and they ship USPS so shipping isn't a killer. I'd wanted some 10 rd mags for range work and varmints, and nobody seems to carry them locally. Also picked up some 30 rd mags, couldn't pass up the $10 price.
    Got a website? I'd like to order 5 or so P-mags.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I've heard from good sources that the HK mags aren't all that, especially for the price and compared to the PMags.

http://www.44mag.com/

The 30 rounders are gi style mags.

Paul, thats the site I just ordered from as well. Free shipping to AK even!! (with $200 dollar order). Thanks again, blkdimnd, for putting me onto that one...

Go with the Magpul P Mag. They run great and you can't break, bend, or rust them.

FWIW, I had several of the HK Maritime mags and they eventually had spring problems if you use them a lot. Guess what, they take a proprietary spring and HK won't sell them separately so your are SOL when the spring wears out. You then have a nice $45 practice mag or paperweight. Being steel bodied they are heavier and I had two bend on the feed lips when dropped when reloading. The P Mags and alloy GI mags don't seem as prone to feed lip damage as the HKs.

You can buy several GI or P Mags for the price of one HK.

Default Personal preference

You'll need some 20's, or shorter mags for bench work and shooting prone. 30 rounders get in the way, and do not make a good rest....

Stock up now boys if Osama makes it in then we WILL see another ban!