Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator Rifles

Default Predator Rifles

I know this topic has been covered but I'm lookin for advice on certain rifles, rather than a load. For some time I've wanted a new wolf/yote gun and an AR style rifle as well. Best of both worlds, buy an AR in .223, plus I can take the woman out to the range with it.

I'm not into building one all fancy, out of the box is fine for me and I don't mind spending a few bucks. In all honesty I don't really know what makes a real solid, quality AR.

So far a few that have caught my eye are the
    Rock River Arms Varmint in a 18" bbl,
    Armalite AR10
    DPMS Panther Bull Sweet 16

Also open to suggestions.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Same

Most AR style rifles are about the same, a LOT of shooters are brand touters. The way to determine if you want the rifle in question IS. CHECK to see if it is built on MIL-SPEC receivers. That way parts will interchange and are available. There are some manufacturered that look the same but aren't just quite the same.
    As far as barrell length and accessories, that's just personal taste.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I've got the DPMS SweetSixteen. I've had it for about 2 years and like it overall. I guess it depends on what style of hunting you want to use it for. I carry mine snowmobiling and at times I wish I didn't have the bull barrel. I carry mine on a sling across my chest and after a long day the weight really takes a toll on you. The priority of a predator gun for me is compact, reliable and accurate enough for the shots I'm going to have to make. If you're carrying it snowmobiling it's rare that you are going to be shooting at an unaware standing animal- in fact almost always they are hauling arse in the opposite direction so accuracy by volume usually wins over pin point accuracy-IMHO.

The trigger on the Sweet 16 was a little dissappointing also. What good is a bull barrel with a mushy trigger. I'm trying to convince myself to buy the Timney drop in trigger for it.

Anyway all in all it's a very good gun, and I don't think you'll be dissappointed with any of the ones you listed.

KK

I really like the Armalite, it is a bit heavy but balanced very well.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

considered the remington R-15??
    Just another suggestion.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...l_r-15_VTR.asp

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    considered the remington R-15??
    Just another suggestion.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...l_r-15_VTR.asp
    Several dealers have told me that the Rem r-15 is a Bushmaster with a Rem stamp

Default lookie lookie...

My buddy has a 16" barrel on his AR and that thing is LOUD! I have read a lot of reports that say the same thing. If you dont mind a really loud gun at the range a 16" barrel wouldnt be so bad (weight) but me personally would go with an 18"er.

My little Ruger M-77 MKII in .223 has rolled many a coyote. Topped it with an economical Simmons 4-14 varmint scope. Good little shooter with nearly the ballistics of 22-250 and 220 Swift but at half the price.

I strongly recommend replacing the factory trigger with a Timney.

Default Duhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    My little Ruger M-77 MKII in .223 has rolled many a coyote. Topped it with an economical Simmons 4-14 varmint scope. Good little shooter with nearly the ballistics of 22-250 and 220 Swift but at half the price.

IN A DREAM !! Somewhere in fantasy land your 223 will equal to a 220 Swift.
    It is more economical to shoot, than a 22-250 or 220 beacuse of the difference in reloading components.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I know this topic has been covered but I'm lookin for advice on certain rifles, rather than a load. For some time I've wanted a new wolf/yote gun and an AR style rifle as well. Best of both worlds, buy an AR in .223, plus I can take the woman out to the range with it.

I'm not into building one all fancy, out of the box is fine for me and I don't mind spending a few bucks. In all honesty I don't really know what makes a real solid, quality AR.

So far a few that have caught my eye are the
    Rock River Arms Varmint in a 18" bbl,
    Armalite AR10
    DPMS Panther Bull Sweet 16

Also open to suggestions.
    I have the Rock River Varmint AR-15, but with a 24" barrel. No problems at all with it after several thousand rounds, and it's quite accurate. Best groups ever were .27" at 200 yards, and .19" at 100 yards. That was with 69 gr HSM ammo...which I can't seem to find any more of.

Talking Browning Model 81

I'm looking for a SS Browning model 81 in a 243. Any one have or used one of these for shooting vermin and if so what was your likes and dislikes.

I have a few more stores to check but my guy got back to me this morning, Looks like RRA is definately 2-3mo out, DPMS Bull 20 is 6-12 however the Arctic Panther can be here in a week.

So those of you that have dealt with the two, How would you compare an Armalite to DPMS?

Panther has a 20" 1:9 twist

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=5

Armalite 24" 1:8

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...b-822e58014822

get a 1 in 8 twist!

Quote Originally Posted by FishinHank View Post
    My buddy has a 16" barrel on his AR and that thing is LOUD! I have read a lot of reports that say the same thing. If you dont mind a really loud gun at the range a 16" barrel wouldnt be so bad (weight) but me personally would go with an 18"er.
    This is very true! My 16" DPMS is very loud. Ear plugs are a must, but its short and compact and when your in the heat of the moment the loudness doesn't bother me.

I had a mortar go off 20yards form my head and cause tinnitus when I was in the AF, so I pack ear plugs no matter what. I'll be stopping at a few places on my way home tonight to see who has what, I've moved the RRA Varmint w/ 20bbl to the top of the list. I'll check mizzoumule and see if he is still doing FFL transfers.

Default re varmit rifle

I use m77 in 204 wicked round that does the job well. I assume you ment mortar simulator or you would have more than ringing in your ears lol

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    I use m77 in 204 wicked round that does the job well. I assume you ment mortar simulator or you would have more than ringing in your ears lol
    Yes, sim round. was more than enough to cause a 1 week headache, 30% loss and constant ringing 4 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Man, I totally agree with you. Ruger 77MII triggers are crap. I havent changed the trigger on my .243 yet, but I did have a pollish job to bring it down to a real smooth 4 #'s. But there was something crossed my mind last night while I was out calling. Its cold out. I am wearing gloves. I got to git my fat finger in there with the trigger. If its at 2.5 #'s, It might go off while I am gettin ready. Just a thought...

Default Ruger

Hello I have owned many Ruger guns and still due. There down fall is definitely there tigers and i have found putting a timney trigger in makes a huge difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast