Thread: Bag Makers?

Default Bag Makers?

Anyone else here in Alaska making their own leather possibles bags?

I've done a bit of leather work over the years, but only got back into it recently to try making my own bag. One thing led to another, and I've gone through two whole sides of leather and made up close to a dozen of them.

I'm real interested in what others are turning out, along with their patterns and supply sources. I'll share my sources and post photos of my bags if others will do the same.

i would love to see what you have made.
    i have some leather and a few hides and furs. i want to make a bag with a tanned doe mask on the flap. i havent seen any patterns i like yet, but we are headed to the big city next and i am going to make a stop at black elk and see what they have.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i would love to see what you have made.
    i have some leather and a few hides and furs. i want to make a bag with a tanned doe mask on the flap. i havent seen any patterns i like yet, but we are headed to the big city next and i am going to make a stop at black elk and see what they have.
    I've got to do some photography tonight, so I'll include some bags and post them. While I'm at it I'll post a couple of links to basic bag patterns. Long as you're in Black Elk check out the Book of Bucksinning series. One of them has a long article on bag making. Can't remember which one, but it's got a photo of a guy the making bags on the front. The author now has a book out on bag making.

Long as your in Los Anchorage, check out the Tandy Store on Tudo, too. Just off Lake Otis, if I remember correctly. Nice folks and quick to send you to Black Elk if they don't have what you need. Both stores are really good about working with you over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i want to make a bag with a tanned doe mask on the flap.
    A guy started a thread over at the muzzleloading forum asking how to do the same thing with coyote masks, but there aren't any responses yet. Soon as I learn anything, I'll pass it along.

I got attacked by a schedule conflict last night and didn't get to the photos. Will try again today.

Brown Bear, I'd like to see your leather work as soon as you get your photo's ready. I've used muzzle loaders for many years and would be glad to offer some seasoned advice on building a good possible bag. I'll be on an Elk hunt in a month, in the snow and rain. Building a bag to survive these conditions and keeping everything dry is key. Thanks