Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your Favorite Hunting Knife?

Default What's your Favorite Hunting Knife?

me I like the Cold Steel Master Hunter Stainless! It's sooo sharp, that it's almost scary to use...I would love the Master Hunter Plus (has gut hook) but it doesn't come in Stainless, that is necessary out in rainy days on the Alaskan Bush!

I take two Gerber Gators, and that's all I've ever needed. They're smaller than most people seem to like, but I prefer the small size and light weight.

-Brian

Default favorate knive

A nice sharp 6 inch buck once home i use a 10 inch Henkel slicer type knive. It is very expensive but holds a edge well. Chef Viktor

Default pop's knife

My favorite hunting knife is my fathers Schrade Walden. It's a bit on the large side but it does get the job done!
    I never got to hunt with him but I've put the knife to good use since I found it after he died.
    Here is a pic of it cutting up some chicken.... and no.... I don't cut veggies with it!!!

reuben.....

I've used a Gerber Gator for the past 8 years or so. Great knife for gutting, quartering, and even skinning (haven't got the hang of my new skinning knife yet). I have a bunch of other knifes, but always leave them at home.

Thumbs up Cutco

I have two of the Cutco Diamond-D serrated blade knives - one in drop point and one in clip point. They sport a rubberized, blaze orange handle (also come in black) and are some of the greatest knives I have used. Will easily do several animals (field dressing and boning) without sharpening.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Kershaw

It's the folding kinife with the rubber handle, very comfortable to work with. Did a whole moose with it without sharpening it and it still has an edge. I'm like Western, got numerous knives but I always end up taking the Kershaw. I got three of them.

Talking Buck 110...

I swear by this knife! My father has used this knife for 20 or so years on countless elk, deer, javelina, bears, and turkey. I've beed using mine for the past 10 years and it's always done me right. The last elk I got, I didn't even need to sharpen it once from start to finish. Buck also has a great warranty and customer service. I broke the tip off my first 110 and sent it in to buck for a fix. They not only sent me a brand new knife, they sent me the 100 year anniversary edition. Not saying it's the best, just saying it's done me right. Kitchen knives are a different story... I swear by Kershaw Shun Classic knives. These are awsome for processing back at the house!

Happy hunting...

Default Forschner

I have a buck 110 that I got from dear old Dad. Every animal I have ever killed has been cleaned with it.
    I just bought a Forschner professional quality butcher knife from Alaska Butcher Supply for the sheep I just shot. Very nice, good steel, and an excellent handle. According to AK Butcher, they aren't the pretty knives, but are the knives you'll find in a meat packing plant or a butcher shop. It was a whopping $16.

Thumbs up Gerber Gator

I have a Gerber Gator with the serated edge next to the handle. I have used this knife for all of my hunting and fishing trips. It holds an edge extremely well once sharpened. I use a cheap Wal-mart diamond stone to sharpen this knife with just a few strokes. I have never had the pleasure of taking a Moose or a Bear yet, but I know my Gerber will be up to the task next year when I start hunting up here.

Imauspilot

Kershaw, Alaskan Blade trader. You have everything you need in this package!

A dull one with blood on it!!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    ...they aren't the pretty knives, but are the knives you'll find in a meat packing plant or a butcher shop. It was a whopping $16.
    I bought my ol' man a "pretty" Forschner a while back. It is a Fillet knife, but the arc on the blade makes it a heck of a processor. I sliced out a few salmon on one of my trips home this past summer, worked great for that too! Holds a great edge if you find the right angle (sorry, don't know it off the top of my head), but not my number one choice...I like Cutco.

BNR

Actually lost my favorite knife this past spring skinning my dads bear. It was just an old gerber lockback. it held its edge and it was comfortable. I picked up a S&W extreme ops lockback that seems to hold a pretty good edge and comfortable. We'll see when we hopefully have a bear down in 2 weeks, otherwise I might just have to get up to wasilla to check out the hella line.

I guess I'll be the odd man out. I really like the helle polars. I also have a veidemann though the gut hook is in the way. It was a bday present in which I love the knife, not the hook.

I also played with the small knives of alaska knife cub bear. Sent it to my dear old dad for a deer hunting knife. Really felt like a great knife, have no first hand experience with it though. I'm sure someone here has used it or he'll report back after this deer season. Regardless I am thinking of replacing the larger helle with the cub bear on all but moose hunts.

Interesting, I have several Gerber knives that are in good shape if anyone is interested. I haven't used them in several years. I always thought they were good knives and well I guess they are but there is "NO Way" that they could possibly compare to Helle knives. I reluctantly bought a Helle Eggen at the fair several years ago. I was promised I would get my money back if I wasn't completely happy with it. The following year I went back to the fair for one reason. To buy another Helle knife. This time it was a fillet knife so I also have several thought to be good fillet knives laying around now.
    Funny thing is, I just got back from my moose hunt and we were talking about knives around the fire. Once my partner saw my Eggen in action he was amazed. We hoped to get back in time to hit the fair but had those dates all messed up. Now I'll have to just get ahold of the fella that sells them.
    The biggest problem I have had with these 2 knives is keeping them away from the wife. They seem to reside in the kitchen. My hunting partner had a good idea. Purchase a couple more of these knives and have them engraved with "Kitchen Only" just for the wife. Sounds like a good aniversary present to me.

Thumbs up helle

I bought a helle godbit last year at the fair after my hunting partner bought one and used it on 2 Black bear, 2 boo and 1 moose without ever sharpening it. This year I have done 4 boo (in one day) I'll never doo that again!!!! and one sheep, I had a hard time capeing the sheep though. I am sharpening it this week, for my moose hunt next week.

Thumbs up Puma White Hunter

The Puma White Hunter and Buck 110 !
    Alaska

I use a Kershaw 1060. It holds a razor sharp edge and I gutted 4 dear in Sitka without having to sharpen it. I also pack a cabella's guide knife by buck. I like it for the gut hook.

Default hand made in the Yukon

the knife I love is made by Larry Durant from Tagish in the Yukon, I have yet to find a better knife. So far I have gutted skinned and butchered 15 deer and a black bear and it still shaves like the day it was brand new.

Ltlbucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast