Thread: What is your favorite Kenai Fly for Sockeye

Default What is your favorite Kenai Fly for Sockeye

I am coming up in mid July this coming summer and want to hit the Kenai hard for the reds. What are you favorite fly patterns and sizes? Thanks for your help!

If your at the russian area it is the standard coho fly. There are limits to the hook size there so be carefull. You cannot have more that a 3/8 in gap between the shank and the hook. Gamagatsu makes hooks just for the russian river and believe it or not they are called russian river hooks. On other parts of the kenai alot of people just use a piece of yarn on a bigger hook. I find the russian river hooks work for me all over the kenai but then again i have 26 years on that water too.

The kenai cache in copper landing has a great selection of coho flies also for around 69 cents a piece and they are just before the russian river campground
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default whatever is laying on the beach

i usually go there with a couple different hooks, gamus with yarn, but i find that the majority of fish i rake in are on coho flies for the russian, on the kenai atleast, on the russian i like to use a smaller hook than the coho fly so i dont hangup on all the rocks! i wouldnt even recommend going to that zoo anyways, hit the kenai, hit gulkana, or be a cheap bastage and have fun at ship creek in the mud and "throwing 'bows" while you fish. but yeah anything will work, even a bare hook (this happens because coho flies are cheap and the yarn comes off!) on the russian, smaller the better, on the kenai, put some weight on about 3-6ft above your hook and let it bounce !

A gammy hook and knitting yarn. 2/0 or 3/0 for the Kenai and the Russian River flies (the cheap ones) for the madness.

6 mm bead melted to a hook and a size 10 flesh fly... you'd be suprised...

Alternatively anything with a legal hook and some thread
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    6 mm bead melted to a hook and a size 10 flesh fly... you'd be suprised...

Alternatively anything with a legal hook and some thread

Good Point Monkey. Just on flesh flies I caught a load of reds this fall chasing bows. Even the big red nasty ones were slamming that flesh hard. I was just using an articulating flesh fly and the reds were slamming them. I know reds dont "bite" but I sure hooked alot of them of them in the mouth later in september. Kinds of burst your bubble when you think you have hogzilla bow or dolly and and finally see it is one of those big red fire trucks

actually it is very common for spawning reds to bite. They rarely to never bite when they're still fresh (depending upon who you ask) but the ones with big teeth and green heads will eat. They'll strike at a bead, flesh fly, and they even bite and swallow salmon eggs.
    I'm not sure why this is, maybe protecting spawning territory or something, but it's very common.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I do real well on egg paterns weeding out like the 1 edible red in a school of fire trucks during mid august... Very strange but I don't complain those late females are perfectly sized for the 5wt

Small pink nymphs worked really well on the Ugashik although when 2000 fish goes past you every 10 minutes something is bound to work at some point
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I am coming up in mid July this coming summer and want to hit the Kenai hard for the reds. What are you favorite fly patterns and sizes? Thanks for your help!
    True Value hardware in Soldotna is very reasonable and has everthing you need.

Last edited by moose-head; 10-24-2008 at 14:56. Reason: found youtube video

Default Correct

Mark your right on point there. June and I catch more reds on beads in the mouth chasing bows in the fall the you can imagine. We have had them come up and tail slap us in some areas and nip at us also. I do believe they strike on thier beds or spawning colors but not fresh

I've never fished the Kenai.. But In Southeast Ive caught fresh sockeyes using an itty bitty blue midge..

something like this.

You can also put a bright blue bead on for a head.

Edit: note thats not MY picture.. but very similar to what I used.

Default Kenai flies for sockeye (reds)

The Russian River is connected to the Kenai. Fishing for sockeye (Reds)on the Russian River requires by Alaska Dept of Fish only Russian River flies. I see no reason why they would not be effective for the Kenai, also. All the stores on the Kenai sell many variations and colors. Some people think color is important. I buy several colors and change often. If they fish are running....color isn't important. Flyfishing techniques work best, but remember, these are not rainbows. Watch someone with proper technique and practice. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schlichtemeier View Post
    The Russian River is connected to the Kenai. Fishing for sockeye (Reds)on the Russian River requires by Alaska Dept of Fish only Russian River flies. I see no reason why they would not be effective for the Kenai, also. All the stores on the Kenai sell many variations and colors. Some people think color is important. I buy several colors and change often. If they fish are running....color isn't important. Flyfishing techniques work best, but remember, these are not rainbows. Watch someone with proper technique and practice. Good luck.

Only russian river flies? Dont you mean only hooks with a 3/8 in gap or less?

you are correct fish

I have been fishing sockeye for years on the kenai and can't say that I have ever found a fly the fresh fish will bite. Mostly you are just drifting your line through their mouth. Because of this fact I will tie up my own using a Gamakatsu hook, bead and yarn. I think the real trick is to maintain a proper tension and angle between your weight and fly. This can be achieved best by altering the amount of yarn based on the current where you are fishing.

I always out fish my friends for sockeye and truly believe it is more about the physics then the type or color of fly that you are using. At least on the Kenai and Russian rivers.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

When fishing for Kenai trout it is a completely different story though!!
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate