Thread: new Griffon pup

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default new Griffon pup

This is Andy he arrived from Desmoins Iowa on Tuesday afternoon...he is taking to the family fast and loves his first snow... he is our first real gun dog. so we will be looking for advice as things go on... we are working on his manners at the moment but he is quickly learning the ropes.. he is 4 months old now so we have our work cut our for us..
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:47.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

two more photos...
    and Frank... let us know when Maggie decides to do it again

thanks for all the help again.

Vince
    Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009 at 18:47.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

OMG VINCE HES ADORABLE!!!! If I were only a gun dog person......I would have one or two!.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Which kennel

Good evening and congrats Vince,

Which kennel in Iowa did you get the pup from?

You might want to check out the following forum: http://www.versatiledogs.com/
    There are quite a few griffon owners and others who engage in lively discussions pertaining to all aspects of versatile hunting dogs.

NAVHDA would be another good resource as well.

Regards,

yhc

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    Good evening and congrats Vince,

Which kennel in Iowa did you get the pup from?

You might want to check out the following forum: http://www.versatiledogs.com/
    There are quite a few griffon owners and others who engage in lively discussions pertaining to all aspects of versatile hunting dogs.

NAVHDA would be another good resource as well.

Regards,

yhc
    thanks for the info... I will look into the other forum...

the breeder was a private person who is really into hunting also... i try to steer away form large kennels. we almost got a pup out of ND... but found out they had PARVO on the grounds... my experience is that a large kennel... is there to turn out puppies where guys like me that hunt have good dogs and have family association with the pup....we are not into showing so that ped.. means little to me. he already shows his hunting background, and is already trying to retrieve.( fetch) he is learning quick. accident require one disapline... and a run out doors now he is asking to go out...

he is NAVHDA registered and we will do the AKC also but it seems the NAVHDA has tighter controls on what they will accept...

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Excellent, Vince!

Great to see you connected.
    Lemmie know if I can offer any advice. Here's a pic of our solo grif pup.. she's looking like a hunter even at four weeks old (today).

Frank
    Last edited by fullkurl; 09-04-2009 at 16:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    OMG VINCE HES ADORABLE!!!! If I were only a gun dog person......I would have one or two!.
    Looking at the photos of your dogs Deb.... they should be gun dogs...

couple pack frames to tie the gun scabbards onto.. meat packs gear etc..

maybe a sledge for them to drag game out on.....

only difficulty i see.. is they would eat the entire moose if you didn't come home soon enough.

Frank Thats a good looking pup!!!!!

meet on face book here

Haha Vince, mine are more inclined to lay on the couch and wait for intruders. They don't drag anything around if they dont have to! LOL!

Frank that is one beautiful pup. are you keeping her around?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Looking at the photos of your dogs Deb.... they should be gun dogs...

couple pack frames to tie the gun scabbards onto.. meat packs gear etc..

maybe a sledge for them to drag game out on.....

only difficulty i see.. is they would eat the entire moose if you didn't come home soon enough.

Frank Thats a good looking pup!!!!!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default pup

awesome pup dude. im jealous i wanted a griffon but ended up with a short hair but shes impressing me already so shes earning her keep
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Frank that is one beautiful pup. are you keeping her around?
    Nope, she's heading to Alaska to a ODD forum member who wanted a female. He had reserved first.

I imagine he'll post here when he gets his dog.
    We're so happy to see the griffs coming to Alaska (Vince etc.)

We had four dogs reserved for ODD folks but mother nature didn't cooperate this litter.

VERRRRY Good looking dog Vince.

Looks like a hunter from the get go!
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default Nice looking dog Vince!

Good to see you finally got your pup up to AK. Good luck with the training.

Well it is hard to believe it has only been a month since Andy got here.

we have had a few issues getting an older pup but they are working out now... Andy was almost 4 months old by the time we received him and had been taught zero manners by his breeder... it took me several days making him be out side in the cold with him to teach him it was okay to poop out doors.. the wife chastised him every time he went in doors and he would turn and do it again right behind her.. so after several mornings of being out on a leash with me. and seeing he did not get in trouble he is now gong out doors.. UNLESS I am in the bathroom and don't let him in... then it is waiting for me by the door.. ( still )

Every thing we read about the Griff's has proven to be true... THEY HATE being left alone. Andy will be in a soaking lather if we kennel him when we leave for an hour. being winter we can not haul him along to work all the time .. and leaving him out... well is not an option. it is a good thing we work from the house...

as for training he now has all of his basics and just needs the refinement on manners.. and learning to use his long gangly legs yet... linoleum is still one of his greatest obstacles.

he is WONDERFUL around the baby.. she can pull and tug on any part of him... and he just eats it up...

he has turned out to be a smart dog, and it is evident in his ability to quickly take to new commands.. he does not like me acting cross with him and will do what ever to make up. and he KNOWS when he has done something wrong... kind of like the kids, how they leave the room as mom and dad come in and find it broken.....part of me thinks he still does it just, to get the wifes goat....

we have not got him on any birds yet. and he is just now getting interested in retrieving. I don't think that as a puppy he got the attention we were told he did... as evident by lack of manners, and is just now getting over all of the new found family life.. things are still to new and to much fun to be taken seriously...and the wife will be tickled once his puppy teeth are gone

meet on face book here