Thread: cantwell road report

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default cantwell road report

i drove down to Los anchorage tuesday.... got a good visual on about 500 ptiarmies..(209-196mile) .I also saw a martin running the road..(180 mile) i took my 223 for wolf.. .should of had the 22..i have to say the martin was the FIRST i have ever seen on the road.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

to fill in some of the questions....

the snow was dumping.... you will need snowshoes, skis, or a snowmobile...

i went through at 7 am and the birds were on the road side getting sand and gravel.

coming home it was blowing about 40 mph.... and drifting.... take survival gear..

a short trip up the Denali on that end may do well also... igloo, or Honolulu creek area would do well in the brush if blowing also..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

did you see any rabbits?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

not to many ... there was to much snow on the ground and flying .... i pushed 10 inches on the way down. and constant heavy snow fall with 40mph winds and drifts on the way home... but there was a couple times a bunny was on the road.

meet on face book here

When was the snow? We drove from FBX to LA last Thursday, leaving at 10:30am and saw no snow until we got to LA... and then only got about an inch. Drove back up on Saturday afternoon and had light snow a few miles south of Cantwell, and it was windy, but nothing serious. We always bring cold weather gear for the road. Saw one little Civic-sized blue car off the road but nobody was in it (I always check.) Saw 4 moose, 4 caribou, one coyote/big fox (couldn't decide and we were rolling right along) with some ravens on road kill. Also saw 3 ptarmies on the road, one dead, on the way down and 3 more on the way up (different spot.) The best thing however is that at about 40 miles north of Willow, we saw about 15 ruffed grouse on the side of the road eating road gravel. We stopped and looked at them to see if they really were ruffies and they were ...and me with no gun on this trip! My wife says "We're bringing the gun on every trip from here on out!!"

Brian

i rolled through tuesday the 21st round trip.home wednesday moring at 630 am.. left anchorage 6 pm tues.

meet on face book here

How much snow on the ground in cantwell??

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'm guessing that it's about the same as in FBX ...maybe 12", probably a little more, but not a huge amount yet. This estimate is based on what I saw by looking, not by actually going out on a flat and measuring it, but that's what it looked like.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    cantwell flats aboot 12 inches after the wind as brian said... south of igloo more then 2 foot...

meet on face book here