Thread: 30mm tube X 40mm light gathering abilities

Question 30mm tube X 40mm light gathering abilities

Looking to buy a new VXIII Leupold. I have VXIII in 40mm bell on other rifles, but was going to jump up to 50 or 56mm to gather more light, but Iíve heard that the 30mm tube X 40mm bell gathers as much light as 50mm bell. Can anyone verify this? Are there tech specs/field testimonials out there? I would like to keep the scope mounted as low as possible, so if this is true I will stick to what I am used to and save a few bucks!

Default light gathering.....

I don't think it's just the diameter of the tube but the quality of the opics and coatings as well.
    I just picked up a few scope catalogs but haven't gone through them yet.
    Burris used to adverize that their 1" scopes transmitter more light than "certain other top of the line" scopes because of the coatings and tolerances on the optics.....
    Hey!!! size ain't everything!!!
    It seems like the manufacturers keep trying to come up with stuff just to get us to keep buying....

reuben....

Default gathering light

Well I can say first hand that a new VXL 56mm with a 30mm tube gathers way more light than a VXIII with a 40mm. No comparison. When I recieved my VXL I stayed up one night just to compare. After I could not see the cross hairs or anything else looking into the woods with the 40mm I grabbed the 56 and I could still see leaves and what the bark on the trees looked like. I could have easily made a shot with the 56 for almost 45 min past the time I would have had to quite hunting with the 40mm. Granted this was a month ago and it is getting darker quicker now so that will come into play but my point is the 56mm gathers way more light than a 40mm. I don't know about what other say, but with my eyes looking through the scope thats the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    It seems like the manufacturers keep trying to come up with stuff just to get us to keep buying....

reuben....
    Well reuben, you are probably right on this one. I do follow your lead on some stuff...items that are virtually the same with a slight change so they can put a little twist on advertising...like the parka that is so much better because the manufacture replaced a black zipper with a green zipper, so you've just gotta get out and buy one!

While I don't buy into all of that advertising garbage, I believe it when I see a product has been advanced and proven better by field tests. I believe rifle scopes fit into this category. In the short amount of time I have been on this earth, rifle scopes have come a long way. And I am not one to go out and pick up the latest greatest every year, but I would like to get the most up to date gear I can (without spending foolishly) so that I will have it years down the road!

With that being said, anybody know of the newest, latest and greatest scope caps!?!?

And Reuben, what scope catalogs did you pick up? I might want to get my hands on those if you find um useful.

Smile 45 mins...Long Time!!!

[quote=mntmaster;25591]...I grabbed the 56 and I could still see leaves and what the bark on the trees looked like. I could have easily made a shot with the 56 for almost 45 min past the time I would have had to quite hunting with the 40mm...quote]

WOW! 45 minutes is a huge amount of time when we're talking about "last light" (even if the "set" is a little longer).

I have considered the 56mm and guess I took it for one of the "new inventions" reuben was talking about that looked a little cooler, a little bigger, and a little heavier.

Questions on the VXL...do they come with special caps?
    Can you get flippers...perm or slide-ons?($$$?)
    Would I use the same mounting hardware as with my 40mm scope (I've use Leupold mounts in the past)?

Thanks for the info...anymore testimonials for the VXL?

BNR

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have 3 of the Leoupld VXIII LR with 40mm Objective and they are a bit better at light gathering than the standard 1" scopes. The VXL scopes were just a way for Leupold to keep somebody employeed. Ugliest thing that anyone could put on a firearm.

I have several 30mm tube Leupolds. The two 50mm objective 30mm scopes are really superior to the 40s in low light situations. The 3x9 50mm European scope is very light and compact. Read that to mean difficult to mount on a Remington 700 Long Action unless you use a Picatinny rail or extension rings. It will mount very close to the barrel in a medium height ring.

Compare a both diameter scopes side by side. If in a store, sight into a low-light area, in a corner or under a counter. You should see more detail and a brighter picture. Consider that a 50mm objective only needs an additional .20" for barrel clearance. Careful shopping for mount systems will enable you to keep the scope mounted as low as possible. You will probably note plenty of improvement with a 1" 50mm scope. Keep in mind that there are ten times the 1" ring sets out there versus 30mm. The one inchers are about half as expensive.

The tactical shooters use 30mm gear because it is more rugged, more reliable for repeat adjustments, and therefore holds zero more dependably. The stuff is heavier, but unless you are hunting sheep and backpacking the extra weight is offset by gains in accuracy and durability.

I like the Leupold M3 scopes for straight forward fast adjustments, plus the turrets are very close to the tube, unlike the tall target turrets. My M1 4.5-14 50mm Long Range Target would be perfect if it were an M3.

I also like the real Mil-Dot reticles for hunting. An extra expense, but worth it, and usable in low light because of the super heavy duplex posts on the outer area of the sight picture.