Thread: Nasty Kodiak goat hunting accident

Default Nasty Kodiak goat hunting accident

Another reminder to be safe out there...

http://www.kodiakdailymirror.com/?pid=19&id=6887

Default Quite the story!

Well, thanks to the Coasties once again for a remarkable job. And the hunting party had two-way radios, partner with him in the field too...so they did several things right. A shame they couldn't locate the goat.

Default Accidents

Sorry to hear about the accident - glad he is safe.

It's a good time to remind all of us (me especially) that, while Alaska is a great place, it is also VERY unforgiving. This time it worked out OK - next time it might not work out so well.

This seems very similiar to the situation with another individual 3 or so years ago, where an accident occured and a harvested animal was failed to be recovered. It will be interesting (I think) to see if a citation is written if the goat is not recovered.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    This seems very similiar to the situation with another individual 3 or so years ago, where an accident occured and a harvested animal was failed to be recovered. It will be interesting (I think) to see if a citation is written if the goat is not recovered.
    I seem to recall that incident (and the discussion on here). Too lazy to search for the old thread right now.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Yea that is exactly what i was thinking to MT, we will have to see how big brother treats this one.

Default Great Reminder

that two good tools to have in the field are a Sat phone and the Alaska State Troopers Public Safety 24/7 number: (907) 428-7200.
    I have the number programed into mine.

What would we do in Alaska without the Coast Guard. Thank God for those guys.
    I am glad to see he is safe and I hope they find his goat!

had a client fall this year, with a loaded pack, 60 yards fall, off several small cliff faces, wasn't pretty and scared the snot outa me, but he was fine, just a couple bruises.
    Don't take much to slip up out there, be safe and TRAIN, having muscles ready for leaning and carrying loads will help and maybe save your hunt!!
    Coast Guard, best thing you can have in your backpocket!! thanks again guys!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212