Thread: Darreld

Question Darreld

Howdy: I read on an old thread that you had found a couple of Win 71's. Did you pick them up and if you did, have you worked up any loads for them? I just got a long tang 71 and I'm thinking of going to the Barnes 220gr, but maybe the 250gr. What have you found and what's your opinion? I'm excited to get some loading done and get to shooting this honey. Thanks.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Day late on one,...

Picked the other up, but was offered nearly double what I had in it before I could hit the exit from the gunshow! Could NOT turn that down, so here I am with an eye out for another. One will turn up, I'm sure.....No load development till then, though I'm trying to gather components when I run across them.
    PLEASE post what you find out in your development, and critters ya bag with it!!!
    Old timey rifles is too cool! I AM waiting on a gunsmith to finish the chamber on the new barrel installed on an otherwise "righteous" 1898 US Krag Carbine. This one has a Douglas 1-10 twist barrel turned to the original contour, and I'm REALLY excited to get it out. My previous experience with .30-40 was most excellent with 220 Hornady's and 'about' 41.0 grs. IMR 4350 in Remington cases.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-23-2008 at 18:47. Reason: .

Talking

Heck, you're not a lot of help. I can't believe you'd sell the 71, but old habits are hard to break, ay? Sounds like your new play toy will be nice. I've decided to go with the 220gr Barnes in front of around 58-60grs of 4350. It'll make a good deer and elk combo, as should yours with the 220. I still may have a chance to use it this fall. Will you have yours ready? Oh, one other thing. With all those gizmos you pack around, it might explain why the animals are so skittish in your area...you banging and clanging around from point A to point B and when all else fails, you start yelling "help me somebody!" And that's before you exit your truck. Ciao

Default Who says I get outta da truck?

Oldest boy is medically retired from the Army. 350+ jumps didn't do his legs any good, so they 'dis-invited' him. Him and his friend from here, also a vet of the 101st, put a Blackhawk down hard, north of Baghdad, and crushed three vertebrae, so these two chowderheads decide to go deer/elk hunting with permits from the state that'll allow 'em to hunt from a vehicle. Plan was to use the four wheelers to ride two-tracks into a good area and sit...on the way into the camping spot, Mr. Mule Deer jumps in front of 'em, so the boy pops the door open, then tries to get the window down, all while trying to get a rifle loaded, and his cell phone (now ingeniously attached to his belt) is tangled in the seatbelt. Sorta like a Monkey tryin' to mate with a football....Apparently the deer is starting to be highly amused by all of the shenanigans, so the boy pulls his 1911 out of a shoulder rig and puts a 200 grain semi-wadcutter through his blood pumping unit.
    As far as the laser goes, it'll probably be useful till one of my six boys or four sons in law figure out I have one, asks to borry it, I'll never get it back, but for payment, I'll get to hear all the stories about how well it worked out for 'em....jist like rifles, ammo, binoculars, compasses, cook stoves, lanterns, spare tires, axes, chain saws, Craftsman socket sets, Old Timer knives............................
    I ain't so sure that my joints a crackin' and screakin' don't make more noise than my wheezing and coughin', so the banging and clinkin' of the gear is just 'gray noise'!
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-24-2008 at 04:05. Reason: .

Sorry I haven't got anything to add concerning a "71". However when I read the bit about your youngens packin off your good stuff...well...you ain't alone.

I have but 1 son but I have 3 daughters, one daughter which is married. My one son and one son in law have more guns.....your list and stuff than I do and it all came from me.

Now don't get me wrong as I am tickled to death that their interests are where they are at. When we get together there is always that respect towards me as the alpha hunter/shooter and that is how it should be.

Of my 4 children three have never given me a momment of grief. On the the other hand one of them has never been anything but a pain in the arse. Let me explain......Daughter number 2 has brought home some real dandies to meet dear old dad. The cream of the crop was a dude (er punk) named Derik. I can remember when mother announced that he was coming home she also included that I needed to be open minded. My response was I take that to mean that there is something that I ain't gonna like much about him. "Whats the matter, he got a nose ring or something?" I asked. Hells bells a nose ring? He had jewelry hanging off of everything on his head that you could fasten it to. His hair stuck straight up in the air about three feet and it was green,yellow and purple. Open minded my *****. I had instant visions of grandkids playing in the backyard that looked like pea cocks! I ain't done yet, he was into body art as a proffession! He looked like a dang roadmap. They claimed that there were pictues interwoven into that mess but I wasn't much caring at that point and wasn't interested in having have a gander either. Now if he'd tatooed himself up in "Mossy Oak" for the sake of hunting naked when it was hotter than sin then we might have been on to something but that wasn't the case.

After the smoke cleared daughter number 2 asked if I'd take her and Derik shooting. I saw through that too. The way to dad's heart is through his guns! The only way I was going shooting with that freak of nature was iffen we only took one boolit! I actually had to fake sick in order to get out of it! I even went and got in bed and waited until her and the lawn ornament were gone before coming out of hiding. That night at supper(I was feeling much better) mother informed me that daughter number 2 had borrowed one of my handguns so that her and the punk rock version of Ronald McDonald could go target shooting when they got home.(Sick again and for real this time) Your gettin mad right now too aren't ya! Now daughter number two is an accomplished shot with a handgun, has a carry permit and packs a little 380. Yet her stand in the corner work of art boyfriend with a gun! Lord have mercy!...kinda like that monkey and football situation brought up earlier. Anyway long story short they walked off with a brand splinter new Springfield 45 XD that hadn't had a round through it. They break up the next week and the circus act has my gun.

About now my son the youngest of the 4 returns home from college. He is coming off a football career as an all-american running back, he can lift more weight than Reggie Bush, and is muscle and attitude from head to toe. He is a good kid and is right wing through and through. After we greeted with hugs and stuff I announced that I got him a coming home present! A brand new Springfield 45 XD. However there is a problem, your former future brother in law the sycodelic kid took it and with out my permission.

My son really likes that gun and heck he saved me a trip to Des Moines. He woulda ended up with it anyway.....kinda like everything else!

Question EKC

Well...did your son get your (his) pistol back? And does the ex still have a face?