Thread: Trashed Zodiac Transom Help!!!!!

Exclamation Trashed Zodiac Transom Help!!!!!

Well, there we were up the Echooka with 4 Bou on the ground. We packed them out and loaded them in the boat for the float out to the Ivashak then a quick ride up about a mile to camp. But, about a mile into our float, I hit a big rock and ripped off the bottom of the transom where the 2 plugs go in. With a boat full of water, gear and bou, we made it to the mouth and then all the way to the truck and ended our hunt with 5 bou total. SO, my question is, does anyone have an old 15' or so Zodiac that has a good transom. I have searched for a new one and can't see paying that much for one. I just hate to see a spottless 1980 Zodiac go to waste. Marita says they have a few boats not worth fixing left behind but they haven't taken possession yet. If anyone knows someone that owns one of those, have them PM me. I'll be very greatful to take it off thier hands. ANY IDEAS?????????????

Default Transom

Go to alaska raft and kayak. Tracey Harmon specializes in this field and can tell you where to buy the marine plywood. If you have the old transom out and can guesstimate the shape of the missing pieces it is very easy to make a new transom. You can either glue the plywood transom in itself or cover it with fiberglass before installing it. If you need a little help with this don't hesitate to ask a few questions as I have done this procedure with my old avon.
    Chris

Default Transom

Thanks for the info. I was beginning to think I was the only one to ever have this happen. My Zodiac has a tapered part where the keel ends in the back. Do you think I could make it a flat bottom transom like most other inflatables?

Thanks.

Default Transom shape change

I'm not going to say it isn't possible, but the problem with straying from the origional design is that it will change the handling characteristics of the boat and also will cause some bunching of the material which will make the repair look sort of funky, as well as difficult to seal. If you do flatten the bottom you might be able to widen it at the sides a little to pull out the v shape, but it may just make the repair AFU. Also, flattening the bottom will make for a rougher ride in chop.
    Chris

Default Fabric

I guess you would be right about it bunching up then probably causing more cavitation. Another thing, is the pressure treated plywood they sell at Home Depot the same thing as marine plywood and will it work to make a transom? I guess I better get started on building one before the snow falls.....

The plywood at HD is crap, the plys have alot of voids in them, and there aren't that many plys, typically 3 ply.

Spenard by the airport does have marine plywood. Another source is Lasertech Alaska, and they have system III epoxy as well (www.skiffkits.com). Since the transom isn't nearly as big as a full sheet, you could get thinner ply and laminate it together to get the thickness you need.

Thanks, I'll give both of them a try today.

Default zod

I am taking my 1984 MKIII down to Tracey this week. At least then I will have some resale value left on it....

Rob - you said that you had success in reshaping the back of the transom - how did you pull the material tight and keep the shape without sagging? I might have Tracey take an inch or two out of it - not sure yet....

At some point I might want to run a jet on it...but am finding that rivers are pretty bad on the rubber duckie - I haven't hurt it - but see the potential.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a 86 MKIII GR 15 footer if you want to come by and take some pictures and measurements. I am in south Anchorage. send a pm with your phone.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Transom Fix

Well, when I made my new transom, I got rib of the big rock catcher V in the bottom. I made a 12" wide flat bottom to it and glued in the bottom of the floor last. With the boat flipped upside down, I pulled all the material very tight and it all went on great. No overlaps or anything. There isn't much extra material there to begin with. Just remember, if you decide to do what I did, compensate for the backtilt of the transom when you cut and shape the flat part on the bottom of the transom. It won't necessarily be flat to the eye until it's glued in between the tubes. Hope that makes sense. Once I changed the shape of my transom, it ran perfect with my 40 Jet. No cavitation and it ran really shallow. Handled great too. Good luck with your project.

Rob

Tracey is the man to fix/fabricate these boats. He has an awesome inflatable that he converted to hard bottom with UHMW plastic on the outside. Beautiful work. No I don't work for him or own the company just impressed with his work.

Wink

I'm having my transom replaced at alaska raft connection. The price for the urethan and replacing the transom was good price. I'd give them a call and see what the can do for you.