Default Cabin Packages

Anyone have an Alaska Based Cabin Package recomendation:

Here are a few I have been looking into:
    http://www.alaskaportablebuildings.com/

http://aksheds.com/

http://www.greatnorthernsheds.com/

Can't find much else.

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

pm me your needs.....i will tell you how to get it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default cabins

birchmtnbuilders.com will take care of all your cabin needs. Great to work with........

Where are you building? I can recommend some sources if I knew that.

I've been talking with friesen custom cabins out of Palmer. I like what I have been seeing so far. Now I just need to work on the loan.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I've been talking with friesen custom cabins out of Palmer. I like what I have been seeing so far. Now I just need to work on the loan.
    good luck on that end Yeti.... all my customers this season. received the construction loan. but were unable to secure the morgatge... stick with local banks and finance companies you may have some luck. north rim, Denali state. mat valley ect... places like country wide and other national orgs are a lot less willing to cough up the long term mortgage. AK USA does a little still but you need immaculate debit to credit ratios....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

With the US $ gaining on Canadian $ in recent weeks it begs the question: has anyone looked into shipping in a cabin kit from a canadian Co. ?

I'm building on an acre which you can drive to near Sterling. Already have a 14x16 foot cabin there, but would like to upgrade. Would like a 16x20 with a 3/4 loft, might be a few years off to build. Also thought of hauling one up the ALCAN in my 28 foot car hauler in a few years if the costs would be worth a trip or two.

Look here:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php

Plans, support and great people.

Most plans are easily adapted to your needs. Site built trusses without load bearing walls.

I am in the lumber business. I cannot possibly see how hauling one up the Alcan could save you any money. Most 16x20 packages that I sell will come in right around $10,000 for the framing, steel roof, doors and windows. With the current extremely low pricing of materials due to the housing crash, you would probably be best served just buying material locally in the Kenai area.

75% of the lumber materials sold in Alaska are coming from Canada anyway. I doubt there are any packages you could buy there that would beat a local guy supplying and building the cabin.

Default selling the bank on your house

Yeti, i received your note along with a few others so i am posting it here...

As a builder i work with many of my clients up here through the entire process. i build under contract and am usually paid directly from the bank my clients finance their project though... and to do so you need to sell the bank on your project first.

First, as i mentioned start talking to your banker.... you will have much more success. local banks are much more understanding then national chains.. unfortunately most of our local banks do have to answer to a larger bank some where... many commercial projects are still being funded because, commercial loans are of a MUCH shorter duration. you will have to show you are stable for the long term... as i mentioned in my earlier post. you will need an immaculate credit to debit ratio.

you will probably qualify for a contraction loan... why? because they are paid in full when the project is completed. you have no choice on this... many local banks offer contraction loans however DO NOT. carry the long term mortgage.... building a house is a two loan process and you have to qualify for both...

for example.

last march i had 8 signed construction loans and deposits on log homes in trust....

by April 15th i had returned all the deposits.. because the mortgage co would not take the loans. as you work up your project you will need a very detailed plan and cost analysis. many people shoot for the high end of the kitchens bath etc..... this is a mistake.

you want your project as cheap as possible if it requires cheaper cabinets for a year or to this is what you need... ESPECIALLY in this economy. you can replace them later... the more money you borrow. the hard it is to get a loan... the bank will loan you 80% of the project to start and have a buffer built in for cost over runs.

one of my clients last march had a maxed out credit score over 800...

but they had 2000 in credit card debits.. and about 20,000 left owed on the house they were using for collateral and planed to use as a rental property.

1 paying off your credit card all at once is BAD... leave a small balance on it. the bank will explain this to you...
    2 to much debit is BAD..... it needs to be paid down....i know don't make sense with #1... but it is true.

3. you need a comprehensive plan for the material cost, duration of project and an appraisal that will cover the cost of building the home....

4. DO NOT APPLY FOR ANY ADDITONAL CREIDT ANYWHERE...to many criedit inquires will look bad.

yeti..... June creek area is going to give you a lower appraisal on your house then you would get down by the park... and much lower then in town....for example

my 2500 sq ft log home at 14 mile on the Elliott hwy appraised and sold at 150,000. in Fairbanks it would have appraised at 379,000....

you can in fact build to much house for the area you live and not have the value it deserves. and if it cost you $135 per sq ft to complete you will not have the equity up front that you need... you can not get paid for your own labor on a construction loan by the way... but you can seriously cut the cost of the amount paid out by doing AS MUCH work as you can do... the bank will require some inspections and will show up to verify that the work is being done.

as a note the further you package and builder travles... the more it will cost you up fornt...

the more unique your house is the more it will cost you... as soon as you deviate from a four sided box... you start going up in cost.

the bank KNOWS how much it cost to build a house here in ak... and they automatically will figure 110-135 per sq ft for you cabin....(finished)

you need to show you can do it for less... on the average i get folks through with the basics. for about 85.00 sq ft.

out where you are at i would strongly recommend shopping the low end on windows and doors kitchens bath rooms to keep the cost down up front... as you find you have extra funds you can upgrade them or replace it later.

you will need 3-8 months talking to the bank....to get through this..the mortgage co will want to see your construction loan package before they will commit to you. you will need to shop,shop shop for your mortgage.

on every end.. you will need to prove to the bank you dont really need their money...and I hate to say it but at the moment... if your credit score is low 700 or below... your spinning in the mud..

a BIG BIG BIG NOTE.... can you get insurance on a remote building site... if you can not. forget the bank.

meet on face book here

Thanks. I guess.
    In addition to all that Vince has said it also seems like you are better off trying to get a loan or mortgage out of fbx instead of anchorage. I'm not giving up yet, gonna break ground by late spring (once the ground can be broken)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Thanks. I guess.
    In addition to all that Vince has said it also seems like you are better off trying to get a loan or mortgage out of fbx instead of anchorage. I'm not giving up yet, gonna break ground by late spring (once the ground can be broken)

Yeti it is a daunting task... you will be throughly disgusted with the process and ready to toss in the towel. by the end...

START NOW... with any luck you will be completed with that process by April/ May. 2009. also. by starting now.. any discrepancies you need to fill in can be done so early rather then miss any part of the building season next spring.

meet on face book here