Thread: To teach a young mutt.

Default To teach a young mutt.

Not too long ago I adopted a house dog to keep my wife company when I deploy. Here recently I started getting into shotgunning and small game hunting. He's just a mutt (part husky part something else), but I'd like to take him out with me. Not so much as a working dog, but more of a hunting buddy. However if I let him off of his leash he's gone for good, and he's not good enough on leash to take him through any brush. Can anybody give me some pointers to make this dog somewhat useful ?

Thanks, Jeff

There are MANY OB classes offered in Anchorage. Look up the kennel clubs and take him to class. There is no quick fix. You'll be starting from scratch from the sounds of things. I hate to say it, but its all about training you, not the dog.... (wink)

http://local.yahoo.com/results?fr=dd...nchorage%2C+AK
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Hey thanks, ever tried using a mutt to chase down/retrieve grouse or upland birds?

I have bullmastiff's that retrieve my grouse It all depends on which one gets there first as to how much bird is left. One is really good about bringing it back, the other, well...you better like tenderized bird

I highly suggest trying one thing at a time, first get some sort of OB into him, get a working report with your dog. Then maybe have someone evaluate him? Its hard to say if he has any of the instincts. The other thing you have to remember is what a husky was bred for, each breed has a job it was bred for. Huskies LOVE to run/pull, thats what they were bred to do.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"