Thread: Win M70 Classic barrel twist

Default Win M70 Classic barrel twist

What is the barrel twist of the stock barrel on a Winchester M70 classic SS? Does anybody know? I am trying to come up with a good bullet for this rifle.

Default Uhhh

Quote Originally Posted by coxhaus View Post
    What is the barrel twist of the stock barrel on a Winchester M70 classic SS? Does anybody know? I am trying to come up with a good bullet for this rifle.
    NOT without the caliber dude. The twist and bullet weight are directly based on CALIBER !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Sorry. 300 Win mag.

1 in 12" or 1 in 10" .

Default Twist

1 in 10. I have never seen a factory .300 Win. listed at 1 in 12, but I haven't seen everything.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Twist

I agree I've NEVER seen a factory 300 Win Mag with anything other than a 1-10" twist. That's pretty much a manufacturers standard. These rifles tend to like bullets from 150 to 200 grns, with 165-180 giving the best performance with the better velocity. They are at there best with bullets of higher sectional density (to handle the velocity and high velocity impact on tough animals) and good balistic coefficents (to maintain down-range velocity).
    Bullet weights are available to 230 grns or so. With the heavier bullets comes increased recoil and reduced velocity; It also gives maximum penetration at close ranges.
    Enjoy your rifle !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

1-10" twist. Try loading up some 165-grain TSX bullets or 168-grain TTSX bullets.