Thread: Check out our monster elk from E afognak

Default Check out our monster elk from E afognak

Went out last monday on our first ever flyout hunt. Got the DE723 permit and went from that. Got in on the 13th fly out with Roland at Sea Hawk Air. Went 3 days with out seeing any 4 legged animal, then on Friday the only sunny day of the week, tried some calling and by suprise got a call back and the hunt was on. Went over a hill and looked the side of the mountain and saw about 18 elk on the hill, then wow saw some bulls 5x5 and some smaller ones then put the bino's to the right and saw this monster bull. Got to with in 300 yds and bam bam bam with the trusty 338 and he was down and the fun started. Got him back to Kodiak and alot of the pilots came and looked at himn and though it was the biggest one they have seen. Dan Foster green scored ham at 257 1/8 with the B&C was at 290 had 16 points in deductions. But looked and there has been no Alaskan Roosevelt Elk in the books that Foster had. But still proud of it. thanks to Denny fro going with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Some more pics

Just thought I would throw in a few more pic's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems like an unusually high number of nice bulls coming out of Unit 8 this year. Good job. How much meat did you end up with from a bull that size?

Got about 500 # of fun back packing, with no bears in sight..

Default Elk

Congarts!! Very Nice! wich end of the Island?? Looks familar from the backpack Pic? I hunted 10 hard days back in 2002 never seeing a elk (Till we got it the air?) Im Jealous been wanting to go back ever since & I think this was the year to be there? Been seeing some nice bull's taken from there this year..thanks for the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by theold409 View Post
    Got about 500 # of fun back packing, with no bears in sight..
    Some good eating there. No bears makes the work a little less difficult.

Smile Wow.....

When I think about the logistics, planning, hard work, good shot and big and beautiful animal, I just have to say, well done and thanks for sharing! Very nice.

Default Sweet!

Nice elk! Sounds like you guys had a blast. Did you ever see a single deer while you were there on Afognak?

Default 1 deer

You bet we had a good time, little slow for the 1st 3 days but turned out well, as far as deer just saw the one and my partner never saw a deer at all. There was 2 guys on the other side of the of the lake and they shot 2 does and saw or heard no elk. No bucks around found 1 shed.
    Steve

Good for you guys! Sweet!

Default Nice!!

Those are some thick antlers!!Sould like you had a get time, thanks for sharing.

Nice Elk, hes got great tops. Congrats!

Default Great elk

Nice mass, awesome character. love the dark color.