Thread: Bettles for 09' Caribou

Default Bettles for 09' Caribou

Was wondering, on the typical year, how far out of Bettles do you need to fly to find good caribou numbers? Would be going out around Sept. 1. Would you need to fly to the north side of the Brooks or can you stay on the south at this time on a typical year?

I know years vary, but am trying to peice together hunt costs. I'm trying to decide on Kotz or Bettles. Since transporters are usually the largest cost I want to get an idea of flight distances and times to compare. Seems like an hour out of Kotz will put you in decent hunting grounds. What about Bettles?

Trying to avoid the "$2,000 per person and we'll take care of ya" type of deal. My buddy this year did this in Kotz and ended up no where close to the area they thought they were going, because this spot was easier, and got dropped right on top of another group. The sad thing is that this was only the beginnig of their problems with their transporter. I know one service out of Kotz I'll never use, but I'll let him tell the story if he likes.

Thanks for the help. Been searching the archives but I'm sure I'll be throwing more questions out there in the next couple of weeks.

AK wonderer, pm me. Thx.

Default Bettles 'Bou

Brooks Range Aviation transports out of Bettles. Jay does the flying. Judy does much of the customer scheduling. They can be reached at 800 692-5443 in the summer. They can be reached at 520 426-1275 in the winter. He has at least two types of aircraft, depending on cargo-weight capacity that you will need, and how much money you want to invest in the hunt.

I have only flown one time with BRA, and they were great. Jay knows the country up there, and around Bettles you can still harvest two bull caribou. Talk with him before you make any decisions. Let him know that you are the "real deal" type of hunter. Like all guides and transporters, he spends a lot of time with "tire kickers" who never make a decision.

He is a fine pilot, experienced throughout the Bettles area, great safety record. But he is not the greatest communicater we have heard these past months. He is not campaigning to be your Vice President, but if you want to get some caribou hunting experience and shoot some beautiful caribou bulls-he will treat you properly. Call now or soon. His projected flying time will be booked solid shortly, within days, after the permits winners are announced/released in early Feb. I spend about 10K to 13K dollars a year on aircraft support for personal and professional hunts, and I absolutely would use Brooks Range Aviation again whenever I need a transporter out of Bettles.

This should help you,

Dennis B.
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service
    Last edited by AlaskaTrueAdventure; 10-22-2008 at 21:28. Reason: added endorsement

Thanks phone numbers Dennis. I've read good reports on Brooks Range Aviation. What area did you fly into when you flew with them?

I plan on talking to them and Bettles Air in the couple of days to get their latest pricing and learn some more about the areas they fly into.

Thanks again.

I agree just call Jay & ask him, flying is just expensive tough to get around it. pay to play I guess