Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowmachine into 20A/Zone 2B

Default Snowmachine into 20A/Zone 2B

Anybody have any thoughts on taking a snowmachine into zone 2B for the RM764 moose hunt? Am I better off waiting until the Tanana river freezes and coming in from the east, or taking the Rex Trail from the west? Any other ideas?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    Anybody have any thoughts on taking a snowmachine into zone 2B for the RM764 moose hunt? Am I better off waiting until the Tanana river freezes and coming in from the east, or taking the Rex Trail from the west? Any other ideas?
    dont matter what side your coming form your better off waiting the freeze up.. there is a lot of flow ice running at this time.. and you will need to cross several getting in far enough.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What about taking the REX in from the highway? I have never been on it but it looks doable.

Carl

There is plenty of water to cross along the rex and it is a LONG FRICKING WAY!! I don't know what kind of sled you have but I went in 60 miles last year and fan cooled or at the least good scratcher was a must. I havn't crossed the Tanana but everything I have read says that even when it looks solid it claims sleds (or worse) every year!

Default Tanana Ice Bridge?

I heard that the Corps of Engineers was going to build an ice bridge off of South Cushman across the Tanana and it was safe to cross on that. I guess they bring heavy machinery across on it every so often. If that is the case, I think there are a couple trails, albeit some long ones, that would go down far enough south to get into 2B. Any word on this ice bridge deal?

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    I heard that the Corps of Engineers was going to build an ice bridge off of South Cushman across the Tanana and it was safe to cross on that. I guess they bring heavy machinery across on it every so often. If that is the case, I think there are a couple trails, albeit some long ones, that would go down far enough south to get into 2B. Any word on this ice bridge deal?
    Yeah they normally build one down off South Cushman and once complete you can drive just about anything across that but you still have a long ride to get far enough south.

Default What about Delta?

Has anyone ever tried to cross near Delta Junction? I heard that isn't so bad. Plus you are already far enough south so as to avoid a 60 mile ride or so...

Default Ice road?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Yeah they normally build one down off South Cushman and once complete you can drive just about anything across that but you still have a long ride to get far enough south.

They haven't built that S.cushman ice road for Quite sometime?? You can cross there but I have seen and crossed Quite a bit of water there myself not fun with a load Oh yeah + there is a gate on the other side of the river??

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by reilly View Post
    They haven't built that S.cushman ice road for Quite sometime?? You can cross there but I have seen and crossed Quite a bit of water there myself not fun with a load Oh yeah + there is a gate on the other side of the river??

i beleive your thinking of the one at PIKES..... it is still there each year..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i beleive your thinking of the one at PIKES..... it is still there each year..
    Boy if I was crossing that one with a sled full of moose I must have been lost?? I go across the one your talking about 5-10 times a year atleast..& there is a gate at the other side of river,its the Bonnififeld Tr & the last few years they haven't done a Ice bridge & if they did it sure was a shotty job cuz u can barly get a sled across?? You sure your not thinking of Pikes??lol Jk

Default Ice Bridge

Yes there is going to be an ice bridge this year across the Tanana. The Air Force builds one every 2 years to get fuel out to Blair Lakes bombing range.
    And yes there is a gate on the other side of the river......

Default Ice bridge

Quote Originally Posted by snopro72 View Post
    Yes there is going to be an ice bridge this year across the Tanana. The Air Force builds one every 2 years to get fuel out to Blair Lakes bombing range.
    And yes there is a gate on the other side of the river......
    And are they going in @ S.Cushman???Seems a lil far for Blair lakes??? Seems like they would go in @ Moose Creek?? Where you getting your info?? Just wondering?? + If you are going for the cow permit RM764 from this way you have a long ways to go?? Good luck?!

Default thick enough ice?

If I want to cross into 764 around the first week of December, what has been anyones past experience with ice thickness that time of year? Is it reasonable to believe the Tanana is thick enough? How about Delta?

Why dont you swim across....you wouldnt have to worry about it if you would have pulled a tag or already shot one.....Just had to Chris...sorry...good luck

Default yeah yeah yeah

I tell you what, some people! I would swim across, but I haven't been in the gym lately so I don't have that monsterous physique of our past desert days...alas... Haha, yeah thanks man. Later

Default Delta Crossing

I tried crossing the Delta basically right in town (Delta Jct) across from the IGA. I was on my 4 wheeler and had waders on. I crossed 3 or 4 braids, walking them first, but couldn't get across the main channel on the far bank. I walked it 4 times, I think it was doable, but the water was above my knee and a little swift. I wasn't willing to roll my wheeler down the river at about zero degrees, so I turned around. There were some pretty good ice shelves to get over and the bottom had about 12-15" of slush on it. Probablly not worth the risk until it freezes hard.

Default Sounds good

Hey thanks for the update. Good info. I pretty much figured I should wait until later on in either later November or early December. It should be plenty frozen by then.

reilly....yes it comes off the end of s. cushman.... yes it's a little far but thats where they have done it for years...... I work for the shop that unloads the fuel at Blair....

Default Ice Bridge

I bought a snowmachine from a guy who works for the Corps of Engineers. He confirmed that they WILL NOT be building an ice bridge this year.

Default Ice bridge

1. This ice road is being built. They build it from Blair Lakes toward town. I was out there last week and they were working on it. They do it every two years to get supplies into the site.

2. You can cross at South Cushman and I have done it in Febuary. I think it will take some -20 to -30 weather to get it solid though as I was down there last week and saw open leads.

3. There are trails all over that area but beware as there is a lot of Military Training going on out there. Get good maps and obey the boundaries. These are active training areas with artillery and also aircraft shooting. Also there is a history of UXO in the area.

Does anyone know of a crossing in the Salcha area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast