Thread: When/where to black bear hunt in Prince William Sound

Default When/where to black bear hunt in Prince William Sound

I have hunted Black Bears successfully in the spring along the coast of British Columbia where we concentrated on the beaches and river mouths. The bears were out seeking green grass.

I have been invited to come to Alaska and hunt black bear with friend who lives in Alaska. He fishes in Prince William Sound but does not bear hunt. He suggested that I come in early June rather than in May because the fishing would be better. I am concerned that the Black Bears will be rubbed at that time of the year.

I have searched prior posts and it would seem that there are plenty of black bear hunting opportunities in Prince William Sound.

I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS...............

IS EARLY JUNE TOO LATE?

We would be launching out of Valdez. His boat is 26 foot long. He tells me that it sleeps 3 people. He also has access to a zodiak for beach landings.

IN WHAT AREAS WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT WE CONCENTRATE OUR SEARCH FOR BLACK BEARS?

Thanks.

Usually, Early June is a bit too late. This year, we had a late snow and cold (non-existent spring & summer) weather which early June would have been alright.

If you primary goal is to bear hunt come in May. If your primary goal is to fish, come later. You can still get a bear in June, but it wonít be as nice as in May.

Same tactics as in BC, look for first signs of green foliage and on the beaches. Again, by June everything is green and it is very tough to see through the foliage, that is why I would come earlier if Bear is your primary goal.

As far as where, it a bit of luck, Iíve seen them heading right out of Valdez to go fishing (both in May and June). Good Luck!

Hunting the creek mouths and other intertidal areas is a great plan. Most are tight lipped about specific areas. Keep in mind that a low tide in the evening with sun is a great combination. I have been hunting bears in the Sound for a long time. Their hides should still be prime through mid June. As the season progresses, more and more green appears, so the bears will not be as concentrated on the beaches. You may have to hunt the hillsides. Bring your sun screen and enjoy PWS..
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

HOW MUCH HUNTING PRESSURE IS THERE OUT OF VALDEZ? My Alaskan friend thinks that we should be hunting east of Valdez towards Cordova as there will be fewer hunters.

There are plenty of bays to go check out with good success. The season ends for the Valdez area (6d) on June 10th. The bears can be anywhere. Working on the water I've seen them on plenty of beaches from Valdez to Cordova. Becareful in the bays for boiler rocks especially from what I have seen in Sheep Bay and Simpson Bay. Take a chart, know where you are and take your time in the "skinny" water and even in some of the water that isn't so skinny. On a low tide more rocks are available to hit and high tide covers plenty of the rocks that show at low tide. Just becareful.

Default No hunt on Memorial Day weekend

Memorial day weekend will be packed with folks. Boat after boat, zooming in the coves looking for bears.

Hunt during the week in late May and you should score. Bears are there, just pick a spot with some green grass and wait. They will be out to get the tender grass shoots. Doing a bear-crack burn is very productive as well. If you are there long enough you could even establish bait sites and bait em in.

Halibut and rockfish can be caught pretty easily during the same timeframe.

My opinion is forget the halibut and go after the tastiest shrimp on earth. Man they are soooo good.

Good luck with your trip.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

all five of my bears from there were taken... may 18-21st....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I PREFER LAST WEEK OF MAY FIRST WEEK OF JUNE, SOME YEARS THERE WILL BE BIG DIFFERENCE IN HIDE IN THAT WEEK. I HAVE VIDEOS OF SAME BEARS A WEEK APART AND THEY ARE STARTING TO RUB.
    BIGGER BEARS IN BC THAN PWS.
    BTW- IF YOU ARE CANADIAN ( NON RESIDENT ALEIN) YOU WOULD NEED A REGISTERED GUIDE.
    A FRIEND CAN NOT JUST TAKE YOU OUT.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Burns

Can you make burns without a baiting permit? Can you bait in the PWS without a permitted site?

Most people will hunt during low tide and then fish during the high.
    Find a cove or an area that has not other boats. Sometimes during low and high tide I will look in the clearing on the mountain sides and more often then not, I spot bears.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Can you make burns without a baiting permit? Can you bait in the PWS without a permitted site?
    It is my understanding that burns or scents constitute baiting. This may have changed since I asked F&G several years ago. A phone call would solve this.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.