Thread: Which Barney's pack for Sheep.

Default Which Barney's pack for Sheep.

Will be doing a super cub 50lb fly in sheep hunt and want to get a Barney's Frame pack. Which one is the best for this hunt. The Pinicle, or the kelvar Hunter??? What say you sheep hunters??

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have a Hunter and am totally pleased. I was recently out with a guy on a Caribou hunt who had a Pinnacle. My pack was plenty big enough for my carrying capability. A loaded Pinnacle is more than I care to carry.

A buddy and I both bought Kevlar Pinnacle packs for our fly-in sheep hunt. We were both limited to 50 pounds, as well.

We bought the larger packs, figuring it would be a one-time purchase, and I doubt we'll ever need another frame pack. This pack will do it all. We have no regrets. They are awesome packs.

Steve, the Pinnacle and the Hunter both come in Kevlar. Personally I would go Pinnacle, simply because of the amount of storage. Lots of times packing its not that your gear weighs that much but the fact that it takes up a lot of space, Having room to spare is never a handicap IMO.

They are both great packs If you hunt alone or need to haul and entire sheep then the pinnacle is the better choice. If you hunt in pairs and plan to share the duties of packing meat back to the strip then the hunter may be a better choice. I think the Hunter pack is laid out for a little bit better access. Once you pack the Pinnacle it is packed!! If your pack is full there is alot of STUFF between the top access and whatever is on the bottom! All in all great packs and you won't go wrong with either! If Bob put a bottom access zipper on the Pinnacle then It would be in my opinion the perfect pack! I gave up the solo thing after this years fiasco and I will likely replace my pinnacle with a hunter. I will say that there is no real wrong way to go, with the carnivore frame as the foundation you will be comfortable....

Guy's, What are the differnces between the packs? Other than the pinnacle being bigger........ What kind of price diff are we talking? What about weight? Interior and exterior differences? Thanks, Ken

With the pinnacle pack, you have to take off the meat shelf, I used the pinnacle for my Brooks Range sheep hunt and it worked fine, I really did not want to take the meat shelf off but Jubal said the only way to get it on was to take the shelf off. If I had to do it again, I would go with the Kevlar, however i was told that barneys is trying to get more earth tone colors in the kevlar instead of that checkered dark navy blue, they are trying to get the greens and browns. the bottom line ...Kevlar in the hunter, the pinnacle is huge and you can put way too much in it, which can be a good or bad thing either way you look at it.

Default info..

I don't know if I'll be out of line for posting this, but I had some of the same questions you do about their packs, and I gave them a call a couple of months ago, and here is an email reply that I got back from Barney's:

didnt have any info available on the computer, so a brief summary follows.
    2 types of frames;the freighter- this is a full size frame
    the bob- this is a shorter version(about 10" shorter)
    - frames are built out of aircraft aluminum for strength and less weight, arc welding is used to connect the tubing
    - suspension(shoulder straps) and waist band are adjustable to fit any body size and type
    there are several bags to choose from, the pinnacle being the largest at 7800cu", the hunter at 6800, moose at 5800, the packer is 4800 and the bob is 6200cu".
    pinnacle is a one compartment bag with a large side pocket for spotting scopes and a small pocket on one side with 3 small pockets on the other. it has a pocket across the back of the bag and one in the flap that covers the top of the pack. the sleeve gun holder is on the side with the 3 pockets or is a bow holder off the back.
    hunter is the most common bag purchased. has a 2 compartment system with a removable divider to create one compartment. is an access zipper for the lower section on the bottom. side pockets are similar to pinnacle with the exception of one small pocket missing from each side. gun holder on the side.
    the bob bag is the same as the hunter with a few exceptions. it is about an inch shallower and the gun holder is on the back of the bag.
    moose and packer are similar, with 2 long pockets on each side. packer has a gun holder sleeve on one side and a large pocket on the back of the bag.
    freighter frame only-$269
    bob frame only-239
    freighter frame with pinnacle or hunter-539
    bob frame with bag-499
    freighter with packer-469
    freighter with moose-449
    for some feedback and referrals visit the alaskan hunting forum on line.

I didnít edit the email at all, just cut and pasted here, so I hope it makes sense and is of use to you.

If you have questions about their packs, the guys who use them here are a great resource, but also give Barney's a call, they were very helpful to me.

Can you stuff a moose quarter in the "hunter bag"?

kahahawai, you had to remove the meat shelf to fit it in a supercub or ???

So most of you guys have the freighter frame and either the Pinnacle or Hunter bags?

Is the Bob frame and bag just too small to pack moose quarters?

Wish their website was up and they were located in Fairbanks!!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Personally I would go Pinnacle, simply because of the amount of storage. Lots of times packing its not that your gear weighs that much but the fact that it takes up a lot of space, Having room to spare is never a handicap IMO.
    Agreed. This is why I chose the Pinnacle.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Is the Bob frame and bag just too small to pack moose quarters?
    The "Bob" pack & frame quite a bit smaller than the Hunter or Pinnacle packs & frame. I'd make it a point to actually see one in person before buying it.

I just got back from a hunt with a friend of mine that had the new hunter bag. I have the pinnacle. They both look very similar, but we found these differences.

The pinnacle has rifle/bow storage on the side and back, the hunter only has it on the back.

The hunter has the zippered bottom compartment for a sleeping bag (or whatever), the pinnacle doesn't have this feature.

The straps for the top flap on the hunter connect to the bottom of the bag, on the pinnacle they attach more to the back of the bag near the bottom and are routed through these black plastic things (common on packs, not sure what they are called).

The pinnacle has a small hidden pocket between the bag and the frame, the hunter doesn't have this. This is where I tuck my hunting regs, permit, tags, etc in a ziplock bag.

His came with a shelf, but he had already removed it.

And of course, the pinnacle is bigger.

I like the pinnacle better. I can add a lot of stuff if I want to, but I don't need to stuff it full. Pretty handy at carrying out large bulky items. I have had this FULL on two occasions this season and didn't really have a problem handling it. I am a pretty small guy, 6'1" and 165 lbs, so I have been a bit surprised by what I can handle in the pack. Now this is not to say I am loading 100 lbs in there and climbing up a hill....

Anyway, for what it is worth, I like the pinnacle.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    The pinnacle has rifle/bow storage on the side and back, the hunter only has it on the back.
    I have the hunter bag and can only find a spot to stow my rifle inbetween the two pockets opposite of the spotting scope pocket and the main part of the pack, if that makes any sense. Where do you store it on the back on the hunter bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I have the hunter bag and can only find a spot to stow my rifle inbetween the two pockets opposite of the spotting scope pocket and the main part of the pack, if that makes any sense. Where do you store it on the back on the hunter bag.
    Bingo. And there's a rifle butt pocket that hangs below the rifle sleeve. I've not seen any provision for a rifle on the back of a Hunter. Most guys will remove the top hoop and hang their sling on the post. That hoop will come off the first time you try to jam the pack into a Cub anyway.

The hunting partner I was with that had the Pinnacle was shoving anything light he could find into the bottom of the bag before we loaded meat. Otherwise it carries too much weight too low and it'll kill your back. The difference in size between the Pinnacle and Hunter is primarily in that low area. The Hunter bag's bottom is higher on the frame.

Ok good thought I was going crazy that there was a designated spot on the back of the hunter pack that I was missing. Here is a picture that better explains where I store my rifle on the hunter pack.

Default Barneys Pinnacle Pack--Loaded with just sheep

Great picture. Congrats.

Default Hunter Pack Info

I have had my Hunter for over 10 years and it is a great pack. I like having the shelf that the Pinnacle doesn't have. This keeps the weight up higher. For smaller guys I don't know how you keep a fully loaded Pinnacle from having the weight too low. When I carry my camp I just fold the shelf up against the frame and strap my sleeping bag, thermarst, and clothes in one dry bag just underneath the pack. This makes up for some of the size difference. Also my Hunter has the pocket behind your head that is great for maps, and licenses. You really can't go wrong with either pack. I did add a rifle carrier to the outside of the frame. I got tired of trying to put the gun on or off the pack when it is loaded. With external carrier I can remove the gun while I have the pack on if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    I did add a rifle carrier to the outside of the frame. I got tired of trying to put the gun on or off the pack when it is loaded. With external carrier I can remove the gun while I have the pack on if I need to.
    Can you show us the rifle carrier you made?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The hunter bag that my friend got this year did not have the rifle carrier that yours does. It hangs near the back on the bottom (this is where I also have one that is probably better positioned for a bow).

I wonder if this wasn't just a mistake in production.

Default Rifle Carrier

Here are some pictures of the rifle carrier we made for the using on the Barney's packs or any external frame pack. The black boot is made of cordura and is bolted to the pack frame and then has velcro to hold the stock of the gun tight. The upper strap is also bolted to the frame with leather and velcro to hold the barrel tight to the pack. With practice I can remove the gun while wearing the pack. We have sold a few of these to friends over the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images