Thread: October 21 Report

Default October 21 Report

Went out this yesterday and set up 3 deeks with one on a "jerk cord". Got there a little later than I would have liked, but came up on the spot, and there were about 15 to 20 ducks already in the water. Most were lesser scalps, and there was a smaller group of widgeons. The scalps headed for high ground quick, but the widgeon stayed a little longer. It was snowing really hard, but I managed to kill 2 widgeons after take off. I hung around until about one. Due to the low clouds and snow, birds weren't flying that much. I had 2 widgeons come back through, and a large group of GoldenEye. I managed to end the day with 2 widgeons and one goldeneye. Not to bad, I didn't see any mallards. There were 4 swans that came in and landed on the ice for a nap, but then a couple of guys came in and started shooting off their guns at crap and the hunt was over for me. They took a couple of shots at the swans, and when I made myself known, they got into their truck and left. I didn't get a plate number. It is jack-holes like that, that ruin it for everybody else.

Where were you hunting at, I don't want specifics just a general location so I can keep an eye out for people like that because last weekend I kept hearing shooting from one area, and a little bit after the shooting swans kept coming from that direction.

Default Jim Lake

I was out at Jim Lake. I certainly would have liked to have gotten a plate number. I also believe that they were shooting at the salmon that are right there at the shoreline.

Was the lake frozen, or is there still open water from the Mud Lake launch area?

Default Iced in

Both lakes have a lot of ice on them. There is some open water around the sloughs and some areas of the shore line. It may be tough getting to the sloughs with a boat.

Thanks for the info. Looks as if I might be iced in for the rest of the year.