Thread: Geese on the Mendenhall?

Default Geese on the Mendenhall?

Has anyone had any luck with geese on the Mendenhall? I have seen a few on the south end of the flats but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with geese on the Mendenhall? I have seen a few on the south end of the flats but not many.
    Buddy of mine called in a loaner the other day and whacked it...They're starting to show up slowly...

...Just to get ya going...

OK so where is Medenhall? Might have to take a road trip if you have geese showing up. Do they stay long and what type of numbers do you all get? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    OK so where is Medenhall? Might have to take a road trip if you have geese showing up. Do they stay long and what type of numbers do you all get? Thanks in advance
    He is refering to the Mendenhall Wetlands Game Refuge in Juneau, AK.....

We can get decent numbers of Geese, but that usually comes towards the end of the season. Duck hunting is superb.

The day I posted this I went out and before I set up the decoys I had a flock try and land on me from behind. I poped one and he looked like he was going to drop into this creek I was standing next to but he locked his wings and flew out into the channel. An eagle got him about 5min later.

Saw a lot on Sunday but couldn't get any to fly over. picked up 12 ducks though.

Anyone want to host two interior guys for a day or two of duck and goose hunting down there?

What did you have in mind. I have an odd schedule but try and get out 2-3 times a week. Also it all depends on tides.

I might be willing to as well depending on the dates...

Wink Prime Time on the flats for Waterfowl!!

Dave (the duck slayer) and myself saw hundreds of widgeon and mallards on Sunday morn.26th Shot two limits in two hours on dry ground mostly widgys---no water or tide --just snow on the flat ground....saw some geese.....more are on the way. Could have limited out earlier but I just wasn't connecting til I started swinging thru. Thanks Dave for being patient with me.. Was a fun snowy shoot!!!
    With these gnarly winter storms and winds it can really blow the birds into the flats and make some good hunting, but the real trick is to be in the right place at the right time. I don't think those migrators hang around for more than 24-48 hours before getting on their journey. But again location is key. I saw a guy set up off the dike trail on the tidalpond and had goose dekes right next to the trees---yup--probably not gonna get a lot of action. Also this smart guy's shooting lanes faced toward the dike trail... NOT SO SMART...THINK SAFETY<PLEASE) for the sake of the future of hunting on the refuge. all it'd take is some greenie person out walking their dog to get rained on with shot and they'd shut down our backyard playground. Also had a father and young son walk in front of our spread about 100 yards downwind---NOT SO SMART....THINK SAFETY/respect>>> I think it is the peak of the south migration for our feathered friends. Have seen pintails and swans in numbers.---large fatty mallards mean northerners are here!!! So get out there and have fun....be safe and respectable!! Remember you are required to have permit and be able to show proof of hunter ed to hunt within the refuge.

Vote freedom first on NOV 4----Mccain/Palin

Do you guys get any jewlery off the birds down there?

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Do you guys get any jewlery off the birds down there?

Occasionaly....I think its been about a 1 band per year for the last couple of years?

It definately doesnt happen a lot...If you check out my photo gallery there are tons of pics from duck hunting on the flats..

Default Bird bands aka jewelry

I TOOK AN ECLIPSE MALLARD DRAKE ON SEPT. 14 NEAR SALMON CREEK (MENDENHALL FLATS GAME REFUGE)THAT HAD BEEN BANDED A MONTH EARLIER UP ON THE MINTO FLATS NEAR FAIRBANKS. tHE MIGRATORS ARE DEFINITELY COMING THRU NOW---ITS ALWAYS A BONUS TO SHOOT A BANDED BIRD.

hEY ONELUNG---DAVE SAYS YOU ARE COMING BACK TO TOWN SOON. wHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK??? ALSO NICE PICS ON YOUR WEBSITES---WISH i'D CARRY A CAMERA MORE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GONNA SEE OUT IN THE FIELD.
    i REMEMBER SEEIN A BLACK BEAR OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLATS JUST OUT FROM SUNNY POINT A COUPLE YEARS AGO. SAW BLACK BEAR TRACKS THIS YEAR RIGHT NEAR SUNNY POINT IN SEPTEMBER.

GOOD HUNTIN'----VOTE FREEDOM FIRST ON NOV 4!!

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    I TOOK AN ECLIPSE MALLARD DRAKE ON SEPT. 14 NEAR SALMON CREEK (MENDENHALL FLATS GAME REFUGE)THAT HAD BEEN BANDED A MONTH EARLIER UP ON THE MINTO FLATS NEAR FAIRBANKS. tHE MIGRATORS ARE DEFINITELY COMING THRU NOW---ITS ALWAYS A BONUS TO SHOOT A BANDED BIRD.

hEY ONELUNG---DAVE SAYS YOU ARE COMING BACK TO TOWN SOON. wHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK??? ALSO NICE PICS ON YOUR WEBSITES---WISH i'D CARRY A CAMERA MORE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GONNA SEE OUT IN THE FIELD.
    i REMEMBER SEEIN A BLACK BEAR OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLATS JUST OUT FROM SUNNY POINT A COUPLE YEARS AGO. SAW BLACK BEAR TRACKS THIS YEAR RIGHT NEAR SUNNY POINT IN SEPTEMBER.

GOOD HUNTIN'----VOTE FREEDOM FIRST ON NOV 4!!
    I'll be back in town on the 13th of November. Not too much longer now. Planning to hit it hard once I'm back...