Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite carry gun?

Default What is your favorite carry gun?

I've been looking around lately, and have some ideas... but which guns do you guys carry and for what reason? I was surprised to hear so many people with the really short 1911's. Anybody have one of those?

schmidty

My little J frame .38 is the gun I carry the most...next the Kimber Custom 11 .45 after that in the woods I carry a Blackhawk SS in .45 colt....45 colt is my favorite caliber of all time...

Lately I've been hauling around an S&W model 24 in a Simply Rugged pancake style, hand molded piece of cow hide. This rather large N frame is held close and cuddly on my strong side hip and its round bottom doesn't gouge my ribs like the sharp cornered 1911's do. I don't mind the weight of a full sized handgun but sometimes the shape is an irritation. This combo is not bad at all and the holster design and it's 3" barrel keep it obscure and handy under a light jacket or my heavy Alaska Guide shirt.

I still like to carry good reveolvers and this is one of the very best calibers ever devised for social occasions, the 44 special. I have two different loads for this gun, one for woods wear and one for an evening out for dinner and such, no alcohol of course. The short barrel is capable of 900 plus fps from either the 210 grain Sierra hollow cavity or the 255 grain WFNGC and it is quiet (low muzzle flash) and no super-sonic crack so when used in a hurry there will be no deafening boom or blinding flash associated with the ultra high velocity of the magnums or suped up semi-auto rounds.

The other choices I have would also start with "4" as I do think size matters, I see no reason to carry anything smaller in caliber. With the exception of a backup or when there is absolutely no way to hide even a small 44 or 45. I have an S&W M19, 357 with specially loaded 38 specials which my wife often carries and shoots well and I have stolen it from her on a couple of occasions for use up close and personal but always prefer the comfort that a good 44 can bring.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Kimber ultra carry in a VM2, Sig 239 or S&W 442 in a pocket holster.

Default Best

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Lately I've been hauling around an S&W model 24 in a Simply Rugged pancake style, hand molded piece of cow hide. This rather large N frame is held close and cuddly on my strong side hip and its round bottom doesn't gouge my ribs like the sharp cornered 1911's do. I don't mind the weight of a full sized handgun but sometimes the shape is an irritation. This combo is not bad at all and the holster design and it's 3" barrel keep it obscure and handy under a light jacket or my heavy Alaska Guide shirt.

I still like to carry good reveolvers and this is one of the very best calibers ever devised for social occasions, the 44 special. I have two different loads for this gun, one for woods wear and one for an evening out for dinner and such, no alcohol of course. The short barrel is capable of 900 plus fps from either the 210 grain Sierra hollow cavity or the 255 grain WFNGC and it is quiet (low muzzle flash) and no super-sonic crack so when used in a hurry there will be no deafening boom or blinding flash associated with the ultra high velocity of the magnums or suped up semi-auto rounds.

The other choices I have would also start with "4" as I do think size matters, I see no reason to carry anything smaller in caliber. With the exception of a backup or when there is absolutely no way to hide even a small 44 or 45. I have an S&W M19, 357 with specially loaded 38 specials which my wife often carries and shoots well and I have stolen it from her on a couple of occasions for use up close and personal but always prefer the comfort that a good 44 can bring.
    Nothin' says lovin, like a 44 from the oven. Problem is Murphy, that was a limited run 24 you carry. Nothin fills the hand like an N frame sized revolver or gives you that warm fuzzy feelin'.
    Since we ALL don't love or ememies enough to send the best, I currently carry a Robar modified Glock 19 in a high ride style pancake. The grip reduction helps concealability(also reduces the stabbing in the side) and the high capacity mags make it useful for shooting cans.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I got a S&W 432PD. It is a 32 H&R magnum. Perfect pocket pistol. Got the hard poly Crimson Trace laser grip. Fits nice in the Desanti pocket holster. Can't even tell its there. At 13.5 ounces, it barely is. Very accurate gun too.

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp...2&gun=Revolver
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I carry my Walther PPK, in 380 sometimes, but I really prefer my S&W Mdl 37 with a 3" barrel. I can't deal with a snub-nosed revolver.

Murphy:
    I really like to hear your own choices and the obviously sound reasoning behind them. I actually have 2 kinds of Ammo for my Wifeys 38 too.

Her Colt Police Positive has a 4" barrel. She didn't like the snubby I used to own either, but this one is OK for her.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Favorite Carry

I have 2 revolvers that I like to carry. For urban adventures and riding the snow machine to the cabin, I carry a S&W 386 Mountain Lite with a 3 inch tube. For concealment I carry it in a Simply Rugged pancake holster with the inside the pants loops. I carry it in a chest holster while riding. While beating the bushes during the time the bears are awake, I carry a Colt Anaconda with a 4 inch tube. I usually carry it in a Kramer straight drop scabbard. I have a chest holster for the Colt as well.

Smith 442 in a ... can you guess? ... Simply Rugged Pancake or the front pocket. 95% of the time anyway. I have a couple of others that get some time but the size and weight of the 442, along with the fact that for some reason I seem to be able to hit whatever I want with the goofy little thing, makes it the choice most often.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Smile depends....

Most of the time it would be a 1911 Govt. Model in a Kramer Horse Hide IWB. I have a customized Browning Hi Power that I have carried a lot. It usually sits in a Milt Sparks IWB. For revolvers it would be a 4" S&W 629 .44 Mag. Mountain Gun in a Kramer belt scabbard. The 3" S&W K frame sits in another Kramer scabbard. The 2" S&W 640 goes in a pocket. The .45 Glock Mod. 36 lives in my truck. I got carried away. Back to the 1911.

Most of the time I carry a Berreta 96 .40 PS refurb (don't hate me Murphy) because it's so darn comfortable in my hand that I can shoot it great. I carry it in a Gould 3 slot pancake leather strong side most often and occasionally in a molded paddle. I plan on getting an IWB for it too. I haven't had the pleasure of checking out a simply rugged holster like a few of you use. They look like quality holsters on their web site. For IWB carry, do they collapse preventing easy reholster?

In the woods my Redhawk .44 SS w/5-1/2" barrel comes with me strong side.

I've carried a lot of different pistols over the years. I've found that the only gun that I will consistently have on me 24/7 is the Smith & Wesson 642 Airlite with Factory installed Crimson Trace Grips. It is a .38 that I carry with +P HPs in a inside the belt Uncle Mike holster.

When I carried glocks or anything other than what I got, I would constantly leave it in the other room when at home or in the glove box when driving etc etc. But with this 15 ounce small frame revolver, I don't even notice it is there. No matter what I am wearing this holster is very comfortable and has an instant draw (I got the one without the retaining strap and since it's inside the belt it stays put).

Any Concealed Carry pistol is a compromise among weight, caliber, capacity, comfort, and a design that you will actually carry. I take carrying very seriously and never want to be caught with my pants down.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you buy the 642CT, it comes with smith and wesson logo Crimson Trace Laser grips that give you the third finger place on the grip that the regular 642 does not. I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs and can control this firearm very well with this grip. With a fast
    firing rate while still obtaining a quick sight picture I can put five bullets into a 2 or 3 inch group at 10 yards.
    Last edited by AKF; 10-22-2008 at 22:47. Reason: Add more stuff

I pretty much exclusively carry my Glock 20. Looking to change that up a bit for in-city carry this winter though

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I usually pack the little Kahr 9mm in the middle while in town:

When out in the woods, I carry one or both of these:
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I carry a 4" S&W 500 ....Works for me
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

For years I carried a S&W 2 3/4" 686. In recent years I have been packing a Glock 22 in 40 S&W with see in the dark sights. Its loaded with Winchester USA 180 gr JHP's. There is probably better ammo for a carry situation but they are what it likes best at the range so I figure why deviate. I carry it in a Fobus paddle holster.

seecamp .32

Default carry ....

S&W M 396 Mountain Lite or M 36 Chief's Special.

My smith M&P40 is my carry gun. Far better than the Glocks and XD's i used to own. For Bush carry its my Colt Anaconda with Buffalo Bore 340grn bullets at 1475fps.

Talking Taurus PT145 Mil Pro Stainless

I carry the Taurus 45 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. The size of a Glock 26 with 10+1 of 45ACP... Don't hate me because I paid half as much as you...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast