Thread: Bergans of Norway Packs

Default Bergans of Norway Packs

Hey y'all,
    I just did a search on this forum for these folks and it didn't come up with much and what it did come up with really wasn't that useful. I am watching this pack on ebay right now that seems to be a steal. I was wondering if anyone knew much about these packs. The link is below. What I know about them is that they are made and, for the most part, sold exclusively in Europe. They don't have a market here but that doesn't seem to stop some people from getting their hands on them. Take a look and tell me what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bergans-Alpinist...QQcmdZViewItem
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

There's actually a guy here in Fairbanks that sells Bergan packs in his little shop called Mountain Sports. I haven't used one, but I've tried them on in his shop and they seem to be good quality packs, they're no lightweights, they're quite sturdy and have some neat features. The number to the shop is 907-474-460, you might try calling the guy up with questions.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

You make a good point, I see them in the backpacker magazine gear guide every year, but I have never seen one in person... It seems a little heavy even for a back that large. Are you planning on carrying it for hunting? It is an expedition size pack at 130L (7900 cu in) just wondering what you will be using it for. Current price seems pretty good.

Jason

Yea I plan on using it for hunting. It seems that all the packs with a good reputation that are large are running about 9#'s anyway, just look at Barney's and the like and you'll see that. I'm also considering it for the price. I wish I had the money to buy a Barney's because that is what I would buy simply because of the reputation they have with lot of people on this forum. Unfortunately, that's in a price range that I just can't justify for my needs. If I knew that I was going to stay in AK for longer than 3-6 years, then I would buy one but since I don't know anything beyond the 3 year mark definitely then it puts them in a different light. Hunting is the main thing I'll be using it for though.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

You can always give it a shot and see how it goes... In general I am pretty cautious buying a pack I haven't at least tried on... a bad fitting pack just stinks regardless of the name brand.

Jason

If it has the features you want, I say go for it. Bergans is top notch stuff. Period. They make the Ally canoe. I have one that I use on float trips. One of the most impressive things I have ever bought.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.