Thread: Grouse Farms and spruce hens

Default Grouse Farms and spruce hens

My question or idea is about raising these birds and then releasing them to increase the populations. It just seems like it would be as easy as raising chickens and letting them go into the wild, although i have never raised a chicken either, but it seems like a good idea.

I just dont see alot of birds like i used to when we went on road trips. Is there an organization that is doing this already or what negatives are there in this kind of program. I know hunting pressure is a constant and is this the reason the plan wouldnt work. Do farmed birds not know how to survive when raised in captivity until they are old enough to fly?

thought this would be a good place to see whats out there already, if anything.

Thanks

Birds are cyclic just like rabbits. The problem is that raptors, owls, and other land based predators boom on the height of the rabbit cycle and when the rabbits are gone the predators turn to birds. South central is past the peak of the hare cycle and the birds are getting creamed! So no it is really not a over hunting problem but rather an excessive predation problem. I talked to some of the bird rescue workers this year and they are seeing an influx in sick raptors. I imagine this is natures way of correcting an imbalance. In about 5 years we should start seeing a decent increase. The good news is that the boom populations are predictable. This year it is in the Denali/Healy area. According to the data that I read the cycle booms in the northeast corner and works it's way south and west toward the Ak Pen.
    All that said I wouldn't be too interested in seeing sprucies farm raised and released however I would love to see more work being done with Ruffies. Given the fact that even in the current repressed grouse cycle the Ruffies have been continuing to gain ground expanding in both numbers and range! I would certainly like to see some more seed populations planted around the valley!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i don't know how it is now but years ago.... ( many many moons for me) when i was a boy in 4H.... i helped my 4H leader catch young ruffies and parmigan..on a permit from F&G... we could not capture the adults. just the hatch.. and raise them till fall and release them again... to assist them in surviving the summer months.. there may still be a program like that available..

My 4H leader had extensive experience with game birds and raised many varieties in the Wasilla area.. and i believe that was one of the requirements by F&G...

it was a fun spring chore that required several people and a few nets to catch the young birds... and we averaged about. 50 birds a year...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I know each year my daughters school raises ducks or chickens in there classes and wouldnt it be something if the F&G would work with the schools and let them raise these birds and release them. What a great idea to show them a wild bird and such a beatiful one at that. Even ptarmigan birds would be cool to raise.