Thread: kids and licenses

Default kids and licenses

how old do they have to be and do they have to take a hunter safety class? My daughter is 7 and were going this weekend up the parks hwy for birds and bunnies around willow. Dont think she will have a problem with birds but i think she will hesitate on the rabbit shots. She has never shot anything but paper and clay pigeons so this will be interesting when bugs bunny shows himher self.

Also, if they dont need license, i would assume they have the same bag limits as game regulations allow, right?

We dont know where to go, so were just going for walks in the woods where it looks like rabbits would hang out and eat carrots

thanks, for any info.

Dennis M

Default licences

hello there well if i remeber correctly they dont need anything in alaska. but a hunters ed is always good i dont think it is needed. i would look it up but dont have the regs with me in iraq. sorry i wasnt to much help

matt

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I have done a couple cursery looks and I have never been able to figure out the bag limit when hunting or fishing with kids. My 6yo is a fishing machine! He is strarting to hunt with me now as well, and of course he does both on my license. What I don't know is if he catches three reds or shoots 5 bunnies is he done or are we both done? I like the kid but if he limits me out before I harvest anything he might not get taken out as much

Dennis

As far as I know, there is no age requirement for the hunter's ed class. I took my oldest son, then 10 and daughter then 12 through the class, and they did fine. My youngest who is now 9 will be taking the class once he shows a little more self control.

7 might be a bit young for class. You actually do alot of work at home, then show up for a day of class work, and a 1/2 day of testing and a range session.

As far as license/tags, under 16 no license is required for residents. As I recall for small game hunting they don't need a hunter ed's card. Check the hunting regs for the lowdown on when they are required. There are areas that do require a hunters ed card, and most importantly it's a great class. It's a good refresher for mom and dad to go through the class as well.

Default found in hunter education area of regs

• If you are 16 years old or older, you must have successfully completed a certified Basic Hunter Education course.
    • If you are under 16 years old, you must have
      1. successfully completed a certified Basic Hunter Education course OR
      2. hunt under the direct immediate supervision of a licensed hunter who has either
        • successfully completed a certified Basic Hunter Education course OR
        • was born on or BEFORE January 1, 1986.
    This is what i found, Im not sure yet about limits but we'll keep looking and if i dont figure it out we'll just go with the plan of shooting one limit with one licenced hunter idea. She can shoot'em all for all i care, i get more joy out of just watching her shoot anyway.

if anyone knows about limits for the little one alone, please reply.

Thanks again

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

it is all in the book but here are the basics...

a child needs to be ten or older to hunt on there own tag/ bag limit etc...
    a child under the age of ten may continue to hunt... but is counted on YOUR limit...

a child may hunt with out a hunter ed card up to AGE 16 as long as you have yours.

in short
    my 2 ten yr olds hunt with their own tags as does my 13 yr old

the 7 year old hunts also.. but counts against mine

if your child is to hunt a RESTRICTED weapons hunt he/she will need that cert/ regardless of age. or basics ed class....

10 yr old son has his muzzle loaders cert but not basic ed.. because my ED class covers him....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    or are we both done? I like the kid but if he limits me out before I harvest anything he might not get taken out as much

Lujon..... can you spell....sore loser?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default What about...

... getting your underage kid licensed? The anti-s have been watching a steady decline in licensed hunters and fishers, and the use license data to make assumptions which may lead them to be bolder in opposing us. So even if a kid doesn't need a license, would it be good to get them one? Just asking what other people think.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... getting your underage kid licensed? The anti-s have been watching a steady decline in licensed hunters and fishers, and the use license data to make assumptions which may lead them to be bolder in opposing us. So even if a kid doesn't need a license, would it be good to get them one? Just asking what other people think.
    well if i had to spend the dough i sure would, but at the moment it is not even an option...when you get a tag for the kid age 10-15... you put the age in the license number slot...

meet on face book here