Thread: Kodiak brown bear hunt

Default Kodiak brown bear hunt

planning on hitting the kodiak RB 230 road system brown bear hunt. taking my truck over on the ferry. first time bear hunt. plan on takin my trust 375hh and my bro is takin his 338 win mag. any tips? what about good areas? saltery cove road looks like a good spot to start. also i plan on hiking outside the road system boundry for mabey a black tail or 2. any tips or suggestions on deer? ANY info would be GREATLY appreciated.

have you hunted there before?
    if not, your in for a rude suprise...
    if you have, then you'll probably have fun.
    hiking outside the road system is gonna be a huge chore, deer will be few and far between, but they'll be there. Hunt high for them
    Brown bears are extremly nocturnal on the road system, get a fawn in distress call and head way up the head waters of some of the creeks and start there. Beware of native lands on the road system, they will nail you to the wall if you give them the chance!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Kodiak Road System

I was down there a couple weeks ago helping my hunting partner fill his south road system goat tag. We were there for a week and glassed a ton of country and we didn't even see a single bear and that was during the peak of the silver run. We only saw a couple piles of scat and one spot where one had clawed up the ground. We even spent a night under a spruce tree, lathered in blood, when we packed out the goat and didn't have any bear encounters. In the course of the week we saw maybe 25 deer, only one of which was a buck that jumped up after the goat was shot so I let him walk because we had enough to deal with right then. The biologist in Kodiak said the last three winters have been really tough on the deer population and based on how few we saw I believe him. There's actually a lot of livestock along the road system so I'd bet that some of the locals make sure those bears have a healthy respect for humanity so they don't end up with a taste for horse. I read up on that RB230 hunt before we went down there, but now that I've been there I don't think I'll ever waste my time with it.

It is very doable. You just have to be patient and wait till about dark. I have seen more bears along the road system the past couple of years than anytime before. The native lands issue has put a hurting on where you can though. I have seen a lot of bears along the rivers during the middle of day so that may be why the goat hunters are not seeing them up high.

thanks for the advice. im hoping it will be quite the experence. anyone know how hiking out of port lions for deer is?

native land....better off to hike out saltery if your gonna hike out.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212