Thread: what bullet?

Default what bullet?

I am shooting a 223 and for wolves and yotes and was wondering if anyone had any info on bullet weight and type. I was thinking about a sierra match in a 69 grain but was wondering if lighter and faster would be better. any info would be nice because this will determine what twist i get in my barrel thanks.

Default hides

Are you trying to save the hides?

yes i want to save the hides

Default Never taken a wolf

However I have found that with yotes up here a little heavier bullet does a bit better. Most of my shots on yotes have been within 75 yards so range isn't usually a problem. Shooting lighter faster stuff, and I have had a few runaways, where as 69 grain would put em down nice and quick. I think they would be pretty good on Wolves too, but Ive never had the pleasure of getting one in my sights.

yeah i was kind of leaning towards the 69 my self but didnt know for sure that is what i will go most likely. Thanks for you input.

I've been disapointed with the lighter 55grn bullets performance in the past on coyotes in 223. My guns with 1 in 9 twist won't shoot a heavier bullet well, I'd get at least a 1 in 8 twist and use the heavies.

Default heavies

plumbers got a point, if you start shooting the heavy loads you need to go with a 1:8 or 1:7 even

I shoot a 55grn Berger match outta my 22-250 and it tears the hell outta yote pelts, so maybe want to re-think the match bullet idea. Then again, the heavier weight may help and I'm shooting about 3200fps. I havent tried anything else but I do know for sure that FMJ's will tear em up less, but they dont put em down quite as fast.

Smile Barnes

Barnes 53 grain TSX. This bullet won't come apart and do excessive damage to the pelt, yet will expand enough to provide shock unlike a FMJ.

Default Speer 52g BTHP

I shoot a 22-250 and have been shooting this bullet for 20 years. I have it going about 3,750fps. I have yet to have an exit with this bullet. Up close out to couple hundred yards. I have yet to shoot any Alaskan Fur but I wouldn't hesitate to try it. Have never shot anything as big as a wolf with it, although a couple of large goat killin pit bulls met their demise from it, but no exit on them either.