Thread: New bow

Petersburg, AK

Default New bow

Well, I passed the bow course and then put on my broad heads and had to retune everything for my hunt. It got me wondering if I need to start from scratch.
    1) I shoot a bow called a Pearson Stryker. I got it second hand(at least) How old is this thing and is it worth having?

2) Assuming I want to shoot carbon arrows at black bear, moose and caribou next year what would be an economical choice to get me shooting something worth shooting?

3) Nobody will change anyones minds here about chevy or ford type things. Since I don't have a preference I am interested to hear what people like and don't like. What gets it done on a beer budget?

Eagle River

Default New - old bow

My old Pearson Stryker was the "greatest bow" because that was the only thing I shot for about 4 years. I did the same as you...bought it used because it was inexpensive (good bow in its day). I had the same problem with accuracy after I swapped out tips.

One day I walked into a mom/pop sporting store and learned that I was shooting trash. My Pearson was old, loud, big, heavy, slow, old, untuneable...oh and did I mention it was old. I walked out with a new Matthews...not exactly cheep, but well worth the investment. Since then, my grouping is tight and I am confident and consistent with my shot whether I have blades on or field tips (assuming consistent shaft and tip weight).

Here is what I recommend,

1) if you cant afford a new bow, donít try a new one that you cant afford. If you do, you will be that much more in debt because you will not be able to walk away from it and the extras you will want. or
    2) Go to a small archery shop that has a range; see if they have any used bows that are less than 5 years old. Draw back several of these bows and a couple of new ones and see what is comfortable to you and get a feel between a $350 bow and a $500+ bow. Shoot a few arrows from about three bows that you drew comfortably with. You will be amazed at the difference in let-off, frame weight and arrow velocity with respect to the old classic Pearson. If nothing is in your price range and there is something you like, check CraigsList for a few weeks to see if one you can afford shows up.

Donít get me wrong, you can kill an animal with the Pearson, I just would not shoot at anything you are not confident you will kill quickly. For me and my Pearson...that was nothing greater that 20 yards.

As for your 2nd and 3rd questions, I saw an Oneida Eagle set-up on Craigslist that I would consider a "Fat Tire" in bear budget language. My friend swears by his Oneida and he has hundreds of kills from Africa to Alaska; but compared to the new Mathews and Hoyts, it is a bit heavy. If you insist on Carbon sticks, you may need to make some modifications to a used bow.

Last bit of advice. Donít get a bow that will not fit your draw. A bit goofy it seams, but it happens when people buy used.

Good luck...I have a feeling you may be sporting a new/diferent weapon soon.

Kodiak, now palmer alaska

I was shooting an old bow up until last xmas, and when I saw old I mean old, new in 1992. Anyway I really wanted the bowtech commander but couldn't afford it. My wife bought me a brand new diamond rapture off ebay for 300 bucks, and I was pleasantly surprised. I have shot some new bows both mathews and bowtech and I am completely satisfied with my rapture. I shot an elk in new mexico this year at 50 yards, no problem. I shot a lot of things with my old bow, but this new one seems to open up a little more distance, and the extra speed helps a flatter trajectory. Just my 2 cents.

Palmer Alaska

1992! wow that is old!!!

Guess I must have been mistaken when I thought I had harvested more game with my 1963 Pearson colt than any of my other bows this year.

Gotta ask are coumpund bows harder to tune?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

check out a sight called it has a bunch of bow packages at all diffrent price ranges and they come with some nice stuff. they also sell bare bows. it is a good place to start if you have no idea of what you are looking for but know you can only afford so much.

South of Juneau

Look In to Hoyt

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Look In to Hoyt

Seriously though...there are several ecomonical options hitting the racks fairly soon. One is a new line being put out by Mathews called the Mission line of bows....very low priced but still a good product it looks like.

If you would like to check out Hoyt but think they are a little pricey, you might want to look at some Reflex bows, made by Hoyt but not as expensive.

Your right about the Ford / Chevy thing. People have their own preferences, some with good stories and some with bad stories about different lines of bows. Bottom line though, the main popular brands, Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech all make good's just finding what you feel comforatable shooting that matters.

Of course....there is always Hoyt though
    STARRFLIGHT shooting staff
    What's a FOB?...visit

I own a Hoyt and they are great bows but its the Indain not the arrow 95% of the time. I Have shot the same Hoyt for years and have no plans on getting rid of it. The deer i shoot every year dont know its getting old as bows go.