Thread: bear electric fence... rental?

Default bear electric fence... rental?

does anyone in the Anch. area rent the bear fences? looking for the small packable size to secure a tent.

Check with Marc Taylor at Wiggy's Alaska.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

surveyor's exchange rents a 20x20 i believe for $10 a day

How long do you need on for ? You can buy a new one for $175 use it then resell it on here or keep it. A friend bought this one

http://www.waterstrider.com/bear-rep...tric-fence.htm
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Why rent

Why rent it? We bought a DC (D batts) model for a Kodiak trip for $60 at a farm and fleet supply. A dozen take off carbon golf shafts some synthetic ribbon wire and a piece of 1/2 copper pipe to ground. Worked great for 12 days on 1 set of batts.

I got home and promptly sold on ebay for purchase price...kept the accessories for next time.

Default fence

I bought one at sportsman's. I have it for life, don't plan on selling it. I want to hunt more than once. It is very small to carry, with batt. its only between 4 and 5 lbs. I slept much better.
    Tim

Default Spiortsman's

Don't buy the one at Sportsman's it is WAY OVER PRICED
    You can make the same thing from supplies from a feed store (braided synthetic electrical fence rope, etc) and other accesories from hardwarde stores-ie Home Depot (ground poles, etc) for a fraction of the price of the over $200.00 fence at Sportsman's.
    I bought it, the one at Sportsman's, once-thinking it was a great thing, after assembling it I realized the materials were nothing special and I could very easily make the exact same thing in no time with very little money...so I did works great and can use D batteries for hike trips when weight is an issue, or a car battery...for my moose camps etc where I use my ATV and trailer and when weight is not an issue

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not sure i would invest in a fence.... unless... can you get one that seconds as a bug zapper????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default thanks all!

thanks to everyone for the info... will start checking into building my own.

thanks again.

Checked into making one but never seemed to have exactly what I wanted. They rent them at Boondocks, think $50 for a week and $70 for 10 days. I saw the new setups at Trustworthy in Soldotna a month ago for $199, same set up at Boondocks is $250 but hard to get to and from Soldotna for $50 any more.

Default Possibly borrow one?

Last year in Kodiak I was told that Fish and Game would loan you one for free as long as you gave them a deposit to assure you'd bring it back. I'm not sure if they do it in other areas but it would be worth a call.

I got the UDAP kit. www.udap.com It weighs 3.8 lbs and the whole kit fits in a bag about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle. I used it for the first time on a NW Alaska float trip last month. I was very impressed with it. Below is a link to some pictures from the trip. You can see the fence around our tent/raft.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...54754242/show/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The UDAP kit which costs $300 from the web site, is $250 at Boondocks and $200 at Trustworth in Soldotna.

Default What I used

I bought a Fi-shock fencer from the feed store in anchorage for about $50.00. The model I bought takes two D batteries, is green and has a stake out of the bottom to hold the fencer up. I then bought 10 green (plastic outside--metal inside) gardening stakes for .99 each at Wal Mart. I cut the gardening stakes to the same length as my tent bag. I also bought the yellow braided plastic and metal wrapped horse fence wire at the feed store in fairbanks for $45.00 for 500 feet. I just wrapped the wire around the stakes (after the stakes were driven in the ground) having no need to use something to attach the wire to the poles. I have only used the fence on one trip and two D batteries lasted the whole 6 day trip. I bought a tester at the feed store for $10.00 to ensure I had juice running through also. I did upgrade the grounding rod that came with the fencer. I used a solid 1/2 inch diameter copper rod cut the same length as the poles. When dealing with electric a good ground will matter more than anything.

Of course I had to test how much of a zap would come out of my set-up. I got a small wack with shoes on. I then took of my shoes and tested it. wow momma-- that thing hammered me. I have all the confidence in the world that if a bear touched my fence, he would be "Shocked."

Good thing bears do not wear shoes!
    Last edited by AFHunter; 10-26-2008 at 03:55. Reason: added info

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I would like to hear from some one that has seen a bear whacked with a fence charger.... growing up. my experience on the farm was that i spent a lot of time repairing the electric fences until the new calves, foals, and the pigs learned it... often then not.. they got hit the first time bolted and ran straight through it agian... it never worked on the sheep though... the heavy wool protected them form it...

so a long haired spring bear???? once on the nose? startled and in camp? thats what i worry about....all he knows is he got stung... he doesn't know from what.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I appreciate you skepticism. I share it in fact. But I read some reports from bios in the field in Katmai that sweared by the UDAP kit. That is why I bought it. If they can spends months at a time in Katmai, I can use it on a two week float trip. All reports I could find suggested it was effective.

As for the price varying ($300, $250, and $200), be sure to compare the fence carefully. The UDAP kit comes in different forms. I saw one at Cabelas for example, but it was not the same kit I got from UDAP. Varying slightly, but varying none the less. Compare carefully if you are looking at the UDAP kit. Seems they put together some less expensive variations for retail stores and such. The size/weight/ease of use of the UDAP kit is very impressive. For anyone with $300 to part with, I suspect you would be impressed with the kit as I was.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here is the kit that you can get on line, at Boondocks or Trustworthy.

https://store.udap.com/merchant.mvc?...egory_Code=BEF

I think a guy can save about $50 if you can find the parts as described above.

Default Building your own

I went up to the Fence Emporium in Palmer (Google them to get their phone number) and bought enough supplies and parts for TWO fences (one for camp, and one for kill site) for under $300.

I got information on the how to's from the attached document from USGS bear biologist Tom Smith.

Enjoy (peace of mind)!

jim

Thanks for the slideshow Dan. Good stuff that.

dw