Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with Trail Cams / Game Cams

Default Hunting with Trail Cams / Game Cams

Hope someone can offer some advice.

I'm interested in using a Game Camera next spring for black bear hunting. I would really like to buy something in the lower price range if at all possible and run two or three of them.

Has anyone had problems with the bears chewing on them?

Anyone have good luck with a Game Cam that is UNDER $200????

There are so many choices it's overwhelming and not any single one has a great review from the majority of the reviewers so far.

Sure appreciate the help.

Default Camera

Cuddie Back is the best one I have found, I use them all them all the time here in WI... The batteries last longer in the Cuddie Back and the trigger speed is the best for actually taken the picture... I think they make a model for around $200 a digatal camera, and go with a digital or you will spend a ton of money getting photos developed... Just my two cents I have tried three other kinds and weren't satisfied with them alot of blank pictures becuz they didn't trigger fast enough... Good Luck

John I have a Moultrie 3.0 camera that I paid $125 for the camera extra battery and a solar charger. I also bought the metal case for it. Last spring it took over 1200 photos mostly of grizzlys over 21 days and never needed the battery changed. I got both the camera and box off of ebay. The box had numerous paw/nose prints on it each day. I don't believe the camera would have survived without the box. It's worth the extra $45.

Default moultrie 4.0

so far this is the only game pic we have gotten... used it more to moniter our road during moose season.
    hope for more pics this winter. it has been up since about mid july and has almost 70% batter power on the original set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I went to Cabela's and read thru some of the 200+ reviews on the Moultrie. Most people seem real happy, occasionally someone gets a dud though. I would rather have 2-3 cameras taking mediocre pics than just one high dollar one. I think I'm about to invest in some of these.

Nice butt Dave!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Cuddie Back is the best one I have found, I use them all them all the time here in WI... The batteries last longer in the Cuddie Back and the trigger speed is the best for actually taken the picture... I think they make a model for around $200 a digatal camera, and go with a digital or you will spend a ton of money getting photos developed... Just my two cents I have tried three other kinds and weren't satisfied with them alot of blank pictures becuz they didn't trigger fast enough... Good Luck

BigDog,

Was a Moultrie one of the 3 you didn't like? Was it a recent model?

Default infra-red

that was a pic taken in the dark. the color photos are pretty good, but most of the ones i have are of my truck <grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Go with the I40 Moultrie

We are whitetail fanatics here in ND. In the last 10 years starting with the original roll film CamTracker we have tried most of the cameras.

Don't even look around....go buy a Moultrie I40. We have ebayed everything else.

Adequate shutter speed, easy to use, batteries last months in cold weather (big problem for most), IR flash, waterproof, laser aim, temp date and time on photo.

You can read revews on www.chasingame.com

There might be better cameras now for $500 like the Reconyx but $199 for the Moultrie and the tears aren't as big when it is stolen or eaten.

I've got a Moultrie 4.0. I paid $99 for it and have been quite happy. We also bought 2 2-gig SD cards for another $30 at another store. That way I can sneak in and swap out the card quickly. It takes 6 D cell bateries or is it C's... i can't remember. But, make sure to change them out when they get to about 20-30%. It will show on the LED screen on the front. Also, the guys down here (Oregon) seem to have quite a bit of trouble with bears chewing on the cameras. So, look into a bear box as well.

Best of luck.

Also, check ifish.net hunting forums. They have a section with just trail cam photos. Lots of discussions there as well.

Default trail cam

I used a wildview camera this year for bear baiting it was cheap $75.00 from cabelas it took great pics. If your looking to get 2 or 3 but dont want to spend a lot of money I would consider the wildview. The one I have was the cheapest one they had. If I had it to buy over again I would go with the next model up $99 I believe is what they go for wich has date time etc on it. Mine doesnt have it. I hunted with a group of 6 guys this year we all had our own sites but hunted together. 3 of the guys had spent over $300 on their trail cams and all of them were torn up and destroyed by the end of the season some were destroyed after the first hit.

This is why I went cheap, why my camera was never touched I have no idea other than the fact that I was real good about never touching it with my hands after baiting. 1 time I had lick marks on it but thats it. I will never buy an expensive camera for bear baiting after seeing $900 dollars worth of cameras be destroyed. Here are a few pics from my $75 dollar wildview

Default a few more

here are a few more from the wildview

Default here they are

ooops! here they are

I have the Moultrie 4.0 but didn't get it till late summer so I haven't tried it yet. Cabela's had them on sale for around $70 at the time. Should have got 2. I was thinking of making a "bear box" from a 30 cal ammo can. Anyone here done this? (I know the idea isn't original to me).
    Really looking forward to some nice brownie pics down here in the Kenai area :-(
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Get a cuddeback capture they are 199.00, I have owned 3 differant brands of camera's & cuddeback were the best by far, great battery life,high quality picture, easy to use, fast trigger

Does one have a great need for the IR in Alaska. I was hoping to set a couple out on a Spring Hunt where hopefully I would not have that much darkness? The Moultrie 40 is at $100 at WalMart. Looks like a decent deal.

I used a wild view digital cam this year for the first time. It worked great and took some good pictures. About 500 of them this year.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have 2 moultry.. they work good and yes the IR does come in handy in the summer...late night or over cast... it goes to IR. and shows black and white..

i also have 2 bushnell... cheaper ones. ($199.00). with a flash... bears ate both.

IR or no flash is only way to go..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

John S,
    Tried a Moltrie, but it was a cheap model didn't work worth a sh$t, I am sure they have made improvements to them...

Second one was a Bushnell camera batteries always went dead on the thing...

Third one I can't recall the name but the night time photos were terrible...

I use my cameras alot after gun season to scout and see what bucks made it thru the season... temps here in northern Wi are typically below zero at night and teens during the day, this time of year... So the battery life is important to me... Cuddie Backs are made an hour from house and the one I had trouble with they replaced at no cost to me, I just took it to them and they gave me a new one on the spot... Hard to argue with that kind of customer service, maybe I just got lucky with this type of service....

If you have any questions shoot me a pm...
    Good Luck

Default Stealth cam

I have used a few diffrent kinds and my best luck is with steath cam got the new Sniper off e-bay for a $129.00 then I put it in a box that swivelsafe.com makes really good set up,also no way a bear can destroy your Cam + you have the 2.5 screen inside so you can view your pics in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by reilly View Post
    I have used a few diffrent kinds and my best luck is with steath cam got the new Sniper off e-bay for a $129.00 then I put it in a box that swivelsafe.com makes really good set up,also no way a bear can destroy your Cam + you have the 2.5 screen inside so you can view your pics in the field.
    You referring to the Jim Shockey cam?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast