Thread: Ship creek first weekend

Default Ship creek first weekend

For those who will be hunting ship creek on the first weekend. i'll be out there on saturday and sunday trying my luck. Just wanted to see if anyone had any predetermined locations they will be hunting so we could avoid hunting on top of each other. Thanks

heading out saturday. i'm taking four horses along with two other hunters. were packing in through indian and hunting the southern most boundry. i was told that its best to hunt during the week with less people. good luck

Default No Permit for me!!

With over 300 permits issued for RM435 and no further applications accepted......I sure hope there's more than 2 in that drainage this weekend.
    Good Luck!!

At least according to the e-mail ADF&G sent me, there are a little over 100 permits issued for the Ship Creek hunt this year. According to the ADN article on Sunday, there were 300 last year and it was a bit much, so the number of permits was reduced. I am planning to hunt it this weekend, but in the morning I spent scouting last Sunday, I saw a plane and two other small groups on foot scouting as well. So, there will be lots of people there even with the reduced number of permits.

Default horses

I thought horses were banned because they tore up the trail so bad? Anyone hear anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by fnd1734 View Post
    I thought horses were banned because they tore up the trail so bad? Anyone hear anything else?
    Nope, not banned. Some folks wanted them banned from Indian valley, but the argument was that this would just direct the damage to other trails like South Fork. Hopefully those going up Indian will be a little easier on the trail this time around, and hopefully moving the season back almost a month will help.

The trail that got tore up last years was the one off Hiland Road and that was last year. Last year on opening day it was like a war zone in there, every ridge was flooded with headlamps and hunters were everywhere. We went in the day after and only saw 1 hunter. Good luck to those that got the permit, your going to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    The trail that got tore up last years was the one off Hiland Road and that was last year.
    Indian got tore up as well, and was well documented by Medred in the paper. I hiked it early this month while going in for a sheep hunt. The state park crew was out there doing work and has done a great job repairing the first two miles of trail and the first of 6 bridges. Afterwards the trail was fine if frozen (on the way in), but a sloppy mess if above freezing (on our way out).

Default Indian

I went in Indian for that hunt last year and can testify to the condition of the trail or should I say channel of mud, it was ugly.

did anyone have any luck last week. Is there a lot of snow up there?

Default Indian Creek

I went in on the Indian Creek trail, trail frozen and deep snow towards the top. You can't make it to Ship Creek drainage without a snow machine or skis (waist deep & deeper snow). I didn't see another hunter, just an older guy walking his goats.