Thread: Kodiak Black tail deer hunt.

Default Kodiak Black tail deer hunt.

I would like to get information from all you that have done a kodiak black tail hunt.

Any and all info will be great. Im wanting to take my 8 year old daughter on her first deer hunt.

Whith that would whitter be a better choice.

I live in Los Anchorage.

Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Deer Hunt

I don't think I would try going out of Whittier with an 8 year old. The weather is way too unpredictable. Also, you would likely need to stay in a tent and try to find deer using a boat. It's a doable thing but not something the average little girl would enjoy.

An alternative would be to stay in a lodge on Kodiak. One good lodge is called Zachar Bay Lodge. It's fairly inexpensive and has heated cabins. There is a shower house with flushing toilets and they run a generator during the evening.

They have a couple skiffs that they use to transport hunters to various areas of the bay so that you aren't hunting the same spot every day.

Its a family run operation. They are a very friendly and helpful. Here is a link to their website. http://www.zacharbay.com/

Good luck

Default I'll let you know about Zachar.....

......in about 2 weeks! I have a hunt there from the 1-8th of Nov. I couldn't give you a description of my excitement that would do it justice.

I also hear they are catching some fishies right off the shore there......oh what a week it will be! And the possibility of sea ducks?!?!?!

Sorry to hijack your thread.....But I will post about our trip!

Cheers!

Jake

Default I would reccomend

Mike Flores of Ninilchik Charters. We took 2 girls age 11 and 14 with Ninilchik to Larson Bay and stayed on one of their boats. The hunting was fun and both girls scored bucks, we almost limited out! The hunting ranged from easy (bucks on the beach) to grulling with quick transpo and good communications. Also, when the girls got tired they stayed on the boat and caught halibut while we hunted nearby. Very professional folks! I hope to hunt with them again.

By the way, they're a transporter, not a guide service so you'll be hunting on your own after being dropped of on shore.

Here's a link to some of our hunt pics. http://www.ninilchik.com/content_sub...ID=46&CAT_ID=4
    Last edited by mmusashi2k; 10-21-2008 at 18:48. Reason: forgot something.

Well I have hunted Kodiak twice, with two VERY different results:

Trip 1: Nov. 2005 we hunted in Sulua Bay and killed some absolute BRUISER bucks right off the beach. My dad and I killed 3 deer the first morning and could've been done in 2 days but after seeing how many dee there were, we started looking for nice bucks. We killed our 6 deer (3 apiece) and went home. Great trip, awesome weather, saw 2 bears that were at 9' and had a ton meat. Also saw no boats or people.

Trip 2: Nov. 2006 So we go back the next year and there's a couple of charter boats in there and people are hammering away at the deer. We killed 3 deer in 5 days, deer were very spooky and there weren't nearly as many bucks as we saw the year before. Then the F&G flies in and tells us well we can't use the boat at the place we stayed because that would be "outifitting" without an outfitting license. We weren't at all happy they flew in and griped because the only reason they came out was because one of the charter boats felt the need to play tattle-tale. Long story short, not near as many deer and way more people. Haven't been in since 2006 so things may have changed.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Thats some good help

I wish could leave tommorow.

I like the idea of going over in a boat and being able to fish too.

Well I would like to thank you guys for the help!

boats have their advantages with the kids it would probably be the best way to go, shelter from the nasty weather stuff, more alternatives as long as they don't get sea sick.

but i'm still a big tent advocate for hunting deer on kodiak, you'll learn more about an area from a tent that you will from a boat...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Black tail

I didnt know there were any deer in whittier, I do want to go to Koidak for a deer hunt also maybe in a year or so, I heard that it is hit or miss with weather, the pilots dont like to fly if the weather is bad and you may be staying at the lodge for a good while. If there are deer in Whittier I would do that myself as well.
    Good luck

Default Flying in bad weather

Steve
    do you know of any pilots that WILL fly in bad weather?
    check the obits, you will probably find a couple before next deer season.
    the pilots I've flown with on Kodiak have all been great and they're still flying. non-flying weather is a fact of LIFE in Alasken hunting.
    The mention of Whitter is as a point of departure - not a location to hunt. I've heard of boats not leaving the harbor due to weather, too.
    Gary

Default Kodiak be excited and aware!

I have hunted Kodiak island for deer 6 times in the last 8 years. I couldn't even begin to tell you everything I have learned over the years, so I will just touch on the key things.
    Air Taxi
    I have always used Andrew Airways and they have done a great job of getting us in and out of the field. If I had been going this year though I would have used Roland with Sea Hawk Air lets just say I wasn't happy with Andrews last year. I have heard only good things about Sea Hawk. If you are looking for a lodge,boat,transporter,outfitter to take you hunting I would call Sea Hawk as they know who what where and why.
    Tent Camping
    This is how I have hunted Kodiak every time. It has worked out great while at the same time keeping the cost of the trip down. However Kodiak island is not the place to sharpen your camping skills. If you have gear that is not suitable for 100+mph winds, 12 inches of rain fall in one day, 3ft of snow in one day, temperatures going back and forth from 0 to 60, and constant dampness this island will hand your "-$$" to you.
    Bears
    They live here! For the most part they will leave you alone. This can change when you have one of their favorite foods "deer". Believe it or not they will still leave you alone for the most part. Heres the catch when you get into an area that has a couple of 4 or 5 year old sub adults LOOK OUT! These 4 or 5 year old brown bears are trouble with a capitol T. Defense Make sure that you don't just have enough rifle for deer. I have not used a portable electric fence but probably will not tent camp with meat on the island without one again. I have used up all of my luck already!
    Conclusion
    Pull out your phone call someone on the island who knows then pull out your wallet. Don't expect any of this to be cheap We paid $234 rt each to kodiak $550 each into the field + food + beverages. for a total of around $1800 for two people. Keep in mind that was last year before avgas was selling for $4 a gallon. Also keep in mind that was a flight that was'nt very far from the city of Kodiak. With your 8 year old daughter I would expect to pay around $2,000 to $2,500 per person plus primary and secondary airfare.
    I hope this has not frightened you from going. Kodiak island is my favorite place to hunt in Alaska. The beauty and memories I have had the pleasure of experiencing will be with me till the day I die.

I would highly suggest an alpine hunt in Kodiak for a young hunter. We went at the end of August, and while the weather can still be bad it's not that cold. The bears are still down on the fish 2000' below you and we only saw one the 5 days we were there. While the terrain was hilly, the walking was easy. It's fun for the young folks to be able to glass for themselves and plan stalks. The only downside is that the deer are a little more spread out and it's bucks only that time of the year. We took an electric fence with us and it sure made sleeping at night easier for me...the kid zonked right out.

Roland at Seahawk Air put us into a good lake this year and we had a ton of fun. Had I known previously how well this was going to work out I probably would have brought my 8yr old daughter along with my 12 y.o. son. My flight with Seahawk for my son, myself and 325# of gear was right at $1000. I will probably spend more $$ next time and get a little further south on the island. I got to Kodiak using airmiles with Alaska Airlines, which made the trip cheaper than my previous Prince William Sound hunt for deer by a long shot.

Default you guys are great

Thanks for all the advice

Default AKanders

So, how was your trip to Zachar Bay? I'll be out there week after next and I'm really curious about how your hunt went. Also sent you a PM.

thanks