Thread: Intro to Predator hunting needed

Default Intro to Predator hunting needed

After seeing a silver fox while duck hunting last weekend, i'm kinda intrigued by doing some predator hunting this winter. But, since i've never done it, i have a some questions.

Do most of you guys only hunt at night?

What kind of calls do you use?

The regs say I can take two foxes in Unit 14. Is that per year?

And, no, I didn't shoot that fox. I wasn't sure season was open, and I really didn't want to shoot it with number 3 steel.

thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by jeffin AK View Post
    After seeing a silver fox while duck hunting last weekend, i'm kinda intrigued by doing some predator hunting this winter. But, since i've never done it, i have a some questions.

Do most of you guys only hunt at night?

What kind of calls do you use?

The regs say I can take two foxes in Unit 14. Is that per year?

And, no, I didn't shoot that fox. I wasn't sure season was open, and I really didn't want to shoot it with number 3 steel.

thanks,
    I've found that hunting at night and late evening has been more productive for me. But generally you should get a response in the early morning or late evening.

I have a handheld Predations electronic call that is fox specific. "Fox pups in distress" is the most effective. They come in at a run. "Red fox squalls" is useful for locating foxes.

I also have a Johnny Stewart cassette tape of a "Snowshoe Hare in Distress" that I run on a Walkman sized player and a remote speaker.

I have two mouth blown calls. One is a Sceery snowshow hare and the other is a Lohman Circe 3 in 1 with two rabbit distress reeds and a rodent squeek. I mostly use the rodent squeek on that one.

You are only allowed two foxes on your hunting license per year. However, if you purchase a trapping license, you fall under trapping regs and limits and can take the limit for your GMU with traps, gun, pointed stick or a combination.

If you're going to use a shotgun, don't use steel shot unless you're close and if your close enough to kill them with steel you're close enough to tear them up too bad. Use a full choke with #2 lead.
    Now what ?

Default Predator hunting

You might want to go to the web site "Predator Masters" and ask the same question. Just be warned if the right bunch is on at the time they won't stop posting for up to a week (sometimes more).

"Predator Masters" and ask the same question. Just be warned if the right bunch is on at the time they won't stop posting for up to a week (sometimes more).
    Lol, yipper.

For Alaska, your better off in this room here.

I have found a couple fox pups in distress online and they all sound like rabbit in distress sounds. I have never tried a fox sound before but think I will be trying it tomarrow.

Thanks
    Carl