Thread: Taurus Revolvers?

Default Taurus Revolvers?

I have two issues I'd like clarified regarding Taurus revolvers:

1. What is the general opinion of Taurus revolvers? Good? Bad? Reliable? Indifferent? I'm a Ruger fan myself, but I don't know enough about Taurus'. How will a Taurus .44 handle the pressure of a 305 grain Buffalo Bore?

2. Also I was playing around with the idea of buying a .45/.410 Taurus pistol, basically to shoot ptarmigan and grouse. What the heck would I shoot with a .45 long colt, besides a target? Who sells .45 long colt ammo? Are there ballistic tables online for this ammo? Thought it would be novel and fun to have a .45/.410 pistol. Is it really a good idea to put shot down a pistol barrel?

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

Thanks for the opinions,

Tim

Taurus makes adequate and reasonably priced revolvers...some people love 'em. They don't have the resale value of a Smith & Wesson or Ruger, so I tend to avoid them for that reason. I can't speak to the current quality of a specific Taurus product since I don't own one, but from what I've seen and handled over the years they seem to have improved their entire product line somewhat in fit and finish, and they offer many options. As for the .45colt/.410 chambering...I believe that model is called "The Judge"...I suppose it could be useful for the purposes you describe; shooting grouse with a shotshell pistol sounds like fun (although I prefer a .22) and the lead shot used in handgun shotshells will not harm your bore. The .45 Colt was and still is a formidable revolver round, and when handloaded it can approach .44 magnum levels in energy and velocity...there are some pretty stout factory loadings available as well. I don't know how well the Taurus will hold up to increased pressure loads...maybe someone who owns one can chime in and advise on that point. Bottom line...Taurus makes decent quality, servicable guns at competitive prices and they feature a lifetime warranty. Opinions vary about how well their customer service is, but that holds true for just about any gun maker these days...some have great experiences, some bad.

I have a taurus .44 mag and my wife has a taurus .357. Both are double action Tracker models. I like both guns.
    The only problem that I have with them is they don't work well when fired like a single action revolver. If you cock the hammer back the chambers will rotate freely. A slight movement will cause the round to missfire or even scrape shaving off the edge of the bullet.
    I also have an old ruger .357. I think my wifes taurus is a slightly more comfortable gun to shoot and it hold 7 rounds compared to the rugers 6.

I have heard good things about the Judge but have no personal knowledge of them.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    If you cock the hammer back the chambers will rotate freely. A slight movement will cause the round to missfire or even scrape shaving off the edge of the bullet.
    Big Dog, that aint right & that aint safe. If it rotates far enoght you'll get more than shaved led. You could split a cylinder. When cocked in single action the cylinder should lock. There might be a little play, but it should lock.

As for the power of the 45 Colt, gunblade is right. In a Ruger pistol it can be loaded to exceed the performance of a hot 44 mag with heavy bullets.
    look at Buffalo Bore, Garrette, or Double Tap Ammo's websights & they'll show you info on their heavy 45 Colt loads.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yes, I know it's not safe that is why I mentioned it. I don't think you should shoot these guns in single action.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Yes, I know it's not safe that is why I mentioned it. I don't think you should shoot these guns in single action.
    That's not normal...you should be able to fire in single action mode without the cylinder rotating past the chamber. I would recommend sending it back to the factory to have the timing corrected.

Does the .45/.410 shoot regular .410 shot shells, or do you have to buy a specific shell to fire it from a pistol?

Gunblade: my stepdad said the same thing; that the Taurus revolvers have improved over time.

Tim

Hmm perhaps I am not being clear. If I cock the hammer back the cylinder will stop in the correct position, but the cylinder is free to move (one way) afterwards. so If you cock the gun then move it around it might move a bit.

Or maybe I am not understanding.

I have a Taurus in .44 mag as well. I have never had an S&W so I can't honestly speak to any kind of comparison. But for the money, it seems like a decent revolver to carry around on hikes. It shoots nicely at the range. I've practiced with rounds ranging from 300 up to I believe 320 or 340 (can't recall for sure), and they have all seemed fine. I do not have the problem that big_dog60 mentioned.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well…………since you asked………[insert big sigh here]…….. I only own one Taurus, and it is without a doubt the ONLY Taurus product I will ever own. It is a stainless model 450 with a 2” ported barrel and 5 shot cylinder chambered in 45 Colt. I have done an extensive amount of work to this thing in order to bring the function and reliability up to par with similar revolvers such as a Smith or Ruger. To say that the craftsmanship and quality control aspects evident in this gun were sub-par would be a huge understatement indeed. I wont go into detail on all the defects that this thing left the factory with, nor will I attempt to explain why I didn’t just send it back and demand a refund instead of working on it for nearly a month………….Well, ok, I will answer that one. Because I thought it was a simple fix (angle incorrectly cut on the breach / forcing cone portion of the barrel, with only .003” clearance from the cylinder at the top, and .012” at the bottom that caused the cylinder to drag on the top portion of the barrel after 3 or 4 shots, and lock up completely after 6 or 7 shots) but as it turned out, I would fix one obvious defect only to have another become apparent. And naturally once you have done anything to it, the warranty is up and now its “your baby” so on and on it went…………

Big dog60, I know EXACTLY what your talking about as mine would also do this. On mine it was a combination of the little spring that pushes the bolt up into battery with the cylinder being week and the excessive amount of side to side play between the bolt and the frame as well as a lack of dimensional consistency in the bolt cuts machined into the cylinder itself. There are a couple of ways to fix that, but the most effective, rewarding and easiest, is to make sure the gun is empty and grip it firmly by the barrel with your strong hand. Next you bring your arm all the way back as if you were about to swing an axe, or club someone over the head. Then in one smooth and fluid motion you should huck your revolver as far out into deep and fast moving current as humanly possible. Just pretend its some plague ridden radioactive mutant rat that is about to rip your face off! Salt water is preferable, but really, any deep silty river will do……Problem solved, and trust me, you’ll be happier in the long run.

So tccak71……. If your still interested in owning a “TPOC” (Taurus, Piece, of, Crap) then by all means, please proceed………… but don’t say I didn’t warn you.

I am not saying that there aren’t some really nice, quality firearms out there made by Taurus……… but I am saying that I have never seen one, and the one I own certainly isn’t one.

One thing my Taurus does do very well......... door stop! That funky ruber hand grip with all the little fins works great for wedgeing open the side door on the garage!

Good luck.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Way to go, Alangaq:

Call'em like you see'em.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Actually, untill I got on hear I thought it was a design flaw and had figured that I just couldn't shoot the gun like a single action. I actually went and checked my wifes taurus .357 and it locks firmly in position the ruger does as well. It is just the .44 that spins freely.
    I have never had any problems with shooting it double action. I can shoot it till my hands are sore. So if it becomes a hassel to get it fixed then I will just not shoot it single action.

It's not a hassle...all you have to do is send it to Taurus via UPS or Fed Ex. You'll have to ship it from the main terminal because the neighborhood mailbox type stores usually don't want to take firearms in. I'm not sure what Taurus' policy is regarding paying for the shipping, but if you want it fixed correctly (hopefully) send it back to Taurus with a note explaining what the problem is. After they fix it they will ship it directly back to you. If you don't get it repaired, the problem will eventually also occur in the double action mode and then you won't be able to shoot it safely at all.
    They advertise a lifetime warranty...may as well take them up on it.

I have one taurus, a 357 snubbie I got for my wife several years back. As I recall I paid $260 for the gun new. The gun's fit and finish is quite good, cylinder/barrel gap is tight, the cylinder locks up well. I haven't shot the gun that much, and I just can't shoot snubbies well enough to comment on accuracy. For the money and it's use it's a good gun for the $. I would like to upgrade the grips to either the newer taurus waffle shaped grips, or some crimson trace.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Check the Auction part of the forum!

there is a judge (blue) for $400
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Taurus Revolvers?

My 2 cents, I have shot and owned several Taurus, S&W and am on my first Ruger. I think the Taurus is a good gun and I agree that you need to send it to the factory to have them fix that problem. I see it this way, if you like it great if not buy something else. We all have our own opinions; mine is Ford, S&W, Remington 700BDL 30-06, Savage 99E 308 and Women but not necissarily ion that order.

Default 45/410

Quote "2. Also I was playing around with the idea of buying a .45/.410 Taurus pistol, basically to shoot ptarmigan and grouse. What the heck would I shoot with a .45 long colt, besides a target? Who sells .45 long colt ammo? Are there ballistic tables online for this ammo? Thought it would be novel and fun to have a .45/.410 pistol. Is it really a good idea to put shot down a pistol barrel?" Tim[/quote]

I used to hunt Blue Grouse in Montana with a TC 45/410 pistol. The 410 was great, could put down the Blues at 20 yards, but the TC barrel has a screw on thing to counter the rotation of the rifling so the shot does not spin out of the muzzle in an ever widening pattern. I have read that the Judge has about 20 inch pattern across a room which suggests that one would need to sneak up on ptarmagin to get into an effective kill range.
    I own a judge, have not shot it yet, but it seems like an ideal home defense arm for an old fart with diminishing eye sight. Just my 2c
    NRA Lifetime Member

I agree with you fishnngrinn, it would make a great home defense piece. I believe that was the design intentions...home/car type thing. As far ptarmigan/grouse/rabbits... a .410 in a really small handgun with no weight? I would rather shoot the 500S&W, at least it is ported. That thing just sounds like a wrist breaker. A .410 has a bit of bite to it. A Ruger Mrk II is a little cheaper, little longer range, and a little more "fun" to shoot. Let us know how it turns out.
    Northern