Thread: How about AR-15 for fox?

Default How about AR-15 for fox?

I have never given much thought into AR-15's until about a year ago when I started to think they might be a fun gun to shoot around with. My girlfriend over heard that and bought me one this summer for my birthday. Yesterday I finally got all the parts together how i wanted it. I think its neat that you can swap so many different parts on these things. So I am gonna take it to the range today and see how it shoots. So here is my question. I know guys use these for wolves from time to time, but what about fox? Would a .223 full metal jacket blow a huge hole in the fox or would it pass right through? I shot one fox this year with a .22 mag and put a good size hole in him. Since them I have started to use .22 mag in FMJ, but haven't had any luck calling. So is there anyone out there shooting fox with an AR? Plus does anyone have any sweet camo'ed AR's? I spray painted my stock, hand guards, and pistol grip. Too affraid to paint anything else. Its hard to take a can of spray paint to over a thousand dollars.

Thanks
    Carl

from what I have seen and read online a .223 is a little too much for a fox. I am sure that there are some people out there reloading their own rounds with some success on not blowing them apart. Might be worth it to do some research if you reload your own rounds. I would take a look at Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets. They are supposed to be pretty good about not exiting. Not 100% sure though.

Default You're ar

I shot one with my 22-250 the other day, using winchester soft point. It was pretty hard on the little guy. Do you have any pics you can post of you're camo job? I'm going to paint my pred. gun as soon as I get a chance,Already got the paint and every thing!!

The 223 is hard on fox.I mean blows em in two hard!I have been pred hunting for about 30 years and have shot a lot of fox and the best thing for fur is a shotgun.In my 22-250 I shoot 52 grn berger match hollw point and its not two bad if you dont hit bone.I have a 17 mach IV that is awsome.20grn pill makes a pin hole in and if it does exit its small.This is basicly the same round as the new rem 17 fireball.I wont use full metal jackets becouse they ricishay and go a long ways.You onley need to be in one firefight at night and see the tracers flying allover the place to change your mind on full mettals.You can get 22mags now with the v maxes and they should work ok.

Default Shotgun

What type of choke, and load do you use in your shotgun on the fox, and what type of range do you prefer for them. Do you use a shotgun for many other varmints. I know that people use shotguns I just have never talked to anybody that does. Any valuable information would be good

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    What type of choke, and load do you use in your shotgun on the fox, and what type of range do you prefer for them. Do you use a shotgun for many other varmints. I know that people use shotguns I just have never talked to anybody that does. Any valuable information would be good
    I use a 12 gauge 2 3/4 full choke ,in my double i use full and mod.I like BB loads and sometimes 4 buck.I realy like the bb loads the best.You can get some of the dead coyote loads but i have never tried em due to the cost.The BB loads are good out to about 40 yards out of my full choke.I usualy carry both shot gun and rifle and depending on cover/tarain will be the deciding facter on witch one is siting on my lap and with one is at my shoulder during my set.My winter months are almost totaly dedicated to pred calling and hunting,Its a sickness thats been with me since I called my first fox in at 15 years old on the farm back in MI .It takes some work to set up correctly and youve got to be quit and sneeky.Watch the wind and have a critter within ear shot. But when you get a pred comming in on you its a rush like no other. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wildman View Post
    The 223 is hard on fox.I mean blows em in two hard!I have been pred hunting for about 30 years and have shot a lot of fox and the best thing for fur is a shotgun.In my 22-250 I shoot 52 grn berger match hollw point and its not two bad if you dont hit bone.I have a 17 mach IV that is awsome.20grn pill makes a pin hole in and if it does exit its small.This is basicly the same round as the new rem 17 fireball.I wont use full metal jackets becouse they ricishay and go a long ways.You onley need to be in one firefight at night and see the tracers flying allover the place to change your mind on full mettals.You can get 22mags now with the v maxes and they should work ok.
    I agree that if you are in an area that there could be possible problems with ricochets, like near roads or structures don't use FMJs. However I personally have had good luck with them, usually small hole in and small hole out. It easier to sew up two small holes rather than on small one and one huge one. But that just my experience. Keep in mind that if you don't hit a vital or a bone you may have to trail them for quite a while. My first fox this year I called in and just as I squeezed the trigger he took a step to the left and I hit him in the right front shoulder, I trailed him for about an hour before I found him. Thankfully there was freash snow so the tracking was easy. I too shot an AR, and I like mine a lot, especailly on those late winter hunts when 2 or 3 coyotes come barreling down on you and you need to make quick percise shots. Last winter is much have been my lucky day cuz I got 3 out of 4 at first light, then again when I stepped out the house it was -42 F.

I wrap my rifle with while bedsheet strips for snow camo, doesn't hurt the finish and it works great in the snow, just dont set it down youll never find it!

I pretty much just stick with a .22lr or .17 HMR for foxes. Although the .17 can leave a nasty exit, it generally breaks up inside.

I've actually taken most with a .22 short.

The .223 has too much horsepower to be whackin' foxes with. It damages the fur beyond use. I save the .223 for wolves.

If you're using a shotgun, #2 lead with a full choke is the ticket.
    Now what ?

Default .22

I agree that if all you are going to run into is foxes just take a .22, but where I call, I have had, fox, coyote, lynx (only saw its tracks after the fact, they are sneaky), and maybe one day wolves too. So I picked the middle cartridge. .22 just doesn't cut it for the big critters. IMO

I think I will stick with the .223. in FMJ. I have shot the FMJ's into ice at about 3 ft and still recovered the round in tacked. So i fail to see how it would expand in a fox. I shot the fox this year with a .22mag with a V-max and it was bad, wont do that again. I shoot full metal jackets out of my .22mag and that would be best for fox but I think I will try some wolves and lynx later.

Still working on the camo job, wil post picts when finnished.

Thanks
    Carl