Thread: Gunshow ideas

Default Gunshow ideas

I have taken on the task of organizing the annual gun show to raise funds for our high school hockey team. I'd like opinions and experiences from both customers and vendors as to what makes a good or bad show. What should be done and what should be avoided?

I realize this isn't really the correct forum, but I look forward to hearing opinions.

Thanks
    Rob

Actually having guns at a gun show would be a good start. I could go without seeing the coins, air soft crap, cheap knives, and whatever other junk that has nothing to do with a gun show.

Default For what it is worth

I've been involved with gun shows here years ago, in the southeast, and also the Houston Gun Collectors for a number of years so I'll offfer what I can.

If you can do the timing get one in late Aug. or early Sept. to pick up the hunting season crowd. Stay away from the time periods of the other gun shows. Stay away from holiday weeks and special occasions like Mother's Day - I remember we had one up here on Mother's day for some reason and it was a disaster.

Advertising is always important - I don't know where you get the best impact up here. In Houston, TX we used billboards and radio spots. Tr gun list, the internet, etc. where you can advertise for the lowest ocst.

Get a cheap place and keep the tables rents down but restict the tables to guns and quality hunting stuff. There are too many flea markets with the same crap - keep it a gun show! If you can get the rates won you can attract a lot more small dealers and hobbiest - more dealers is always better. It may take a few years for the quality show concept to pay off but in the end you will attract more dealers and guests.

Don't know how it works up here but down south we covered the show expenses with the table rents and the gate was the profit.

Another strategy we used was to team up with another show - down there it was an antique show and split the costs. I don't recall how we did the gate split.

If I come up with anymore ideas I'll pass them on.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowLeadBullets View Post
    I have taken on the task of organizing the annual gun show to raise funds for our high school hockey team. I'd like opinions and experiences from both customers and vendors as to what makes a good or bad show. What should be done and what should be avoided?

I realize this isn't really the correct forum, but I look forward to hearing opinions.

Thanks
    Rob
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Gunshow Ideas

Just my take on gunshows & other sales is they always seem to happen inbetween my paydays. You may want to see who is the biggest employer in your area and have it for a couple days after their payday and/or make sure and get it posted out to the public far enough in advance to warn people along with a second (different color flyer) a couple weeks before as a reminder to people like me. I also agree with the other gent about staying away from holiday sales and flea markets. Good luck

P.S. Where are you planning on having this??

Please...no vehicles, jewelery, coins, custom shoe insoles, herbal healing potions, cosmetics, dolls, toys...did I mention vehicles? Last time I went to a gun show at the sully half the floor was taken up with old army vehicles and four wheelers. Enough...we've seen them all already. And no tables with rows and rows of "Display Only" firearms...tables should be reserved for "For Sale" items.

Thanks for the input. The Wasilla gunshow has been going for quite a long time now, this is just the first time I'm doing it. I've noticed that most of the gunshows in the area are degenerating into flea markets. I'm glad others confirm that it is unwelcome. As for the date, it is sometime in February I think. At this point, I can't change it, but will keep the remarks for the future, they are good points.

We are quite lucky with show expenses, the whole show is in the school, so apart from equipment rental and insurance, most of it goes to the hockey team. We charge $50 for a table. Does that sound reasonable?

Does anyone know how to stop vendors from selling dolls, coins, etc.?

Again, thanks for the input. I hope I can turn this into a good show.
    Rob

Default Gunshow Ideas

Make it part of the registration/application for the table. It can say; Guns and associated equipment only. No coins, dolls etc..

To be honest I stopped going to the Wasilla show two years ago because of all the unrelated gun crap being sold.
    But be prepared to lose revenue from the non gun related crowd as they will not rent tables.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Actually the Wasilla show and the two at the Palmer fair grounds are the only gun shows I plan to attend anymore. I have completely given up on the Anchorage shows……………

I personally don’t mind the military / firearm display tables but do agree with others about the non-gun related crap…………. Except for the guy that sells jerky! GOT to have the jerky guy!

$50 per table sounds reasonable to me but I think advertising is the real key. Heck just do a search on this forum and you will pull up all kinds of threads asking when the next gun show is! I just don’t think the majority of folks out there know about them. You might also think about selling “half tables” to draw in the little guys, for like $25…………

Perhaps you could call into Rick Rydel and Mike Pecaro on AM650 and “mention” the date for the shows. Of course you could advertise on the radio, but I have no idea what that would cost.

Anyway, good luck to ya, and you can count on seeing me there………..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default just a thought

Ya know it was hard talking the olady into going to the last one at wasilla high BUT with all the unrelated stuff is why she spent more money than me and that was good, she'll want to go again next time
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Segregation

GUN SHOWS can have any items you desire to allow sold. The current trend here is to allow ALMOST anything at gun shows. The key is if the table isn't 90% firearm related it is placed in another section on the floor so it isn't distracting to gun show goers. Boats and planes and 4 wheelers aren't exactly hunting related, unless you live in AK.
    This allows vendors to sell non related merchandise without creating a nuisance. It also gives the ladies a form of entertainment ( dragging their hubbies all over the place) at the show. This holds true for displays(not for sale).The rent from the tables helps cover exhibition hall and advertising costs. SO,rent tables !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Routing the people through areas

set aside for different things could be done there in the Wasilla School show. Sell table right at the entrance hall to organizations (NRA, AOC, ATV Club ) for a premium (100.00 if the gun tables are 50), they have guaranteed exposure to everyone coming in so the higher price would be justified. Other non-gun (wife shopping area?? ) at the end of the hall (that lower area and the L). Keep all the guns and nothing but guns on the gym floor but make everyone go past the rest on their way there. Maybe use that upper hallway for exhibits and directly related hunting accessories.
    Just a thought.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    GUN SHOWS can have any items you desire to allow sold. The current trend here is to allow ALMOST anything at gun shows. The key is if the table isn't 90% firearm related it is placed in another section on the floor so it isn't distracting to gun show goers. Boats and planes and 4 wheelers aren't exactly hunting related, unless you live in AK.
    This allows vendors to sell non related merchandise without creating a nuisance. It also gives the ladies a form of entertainment ( dragging their hubbies all over the place) at the show. This holds true for displays(not for sale).The rent from the tables helps cover exhibition hall and advertising costs. SO,rent tables !!
    You just described the type of gun show that I would go to and ask for my money back.