Thread: Mud Hole Question

Default Mud Hole Question

If I have a Mud hole that is deep and wanted to fill the hole with something to able myself to get across it, what would that be? Even if it is far away from anything can I use dead trees, or would there be a chance that when water filled up the hole it might bust something on the wheeler? Any Ideas would be awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    If I have a Mud hole that is deep and wanted to fill the hole with something to able myself to get across it, what would that be? Even if it is far away from anything can I use dead trees, or would there be a chance that when water filled up the hole it might bust something on the wheeler? Any Ideas would be awesome?
    Hammer the throttle and when the machine stops, pull the winch cable out, easy! ...Or just throw some dead tree's/ alders in the hole and drive over. The first option takes less time.

Default You can...

I have seen all kinds of stuff thrown into holes. If there is a bunch of stuff you do stand a chance of getting hung up on it. Just get yourself some good tires and do it like this, it's much more fun MudMachine BiTri Claws on my 02 660 Griz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    If I have a Mud hole that is deep and wanted to fill the hole with something to able myself to get across it, what would that be?
    I vote for Quikrete and ALOT of it! Might take a few days but it should solve the problem for good

Seriously though I agree with snyd I have rarely seen sticks help in the long run. They are great for the first guy but eventually they get wet and slick or burried and make the whole thing worse. Bridges are a good option for areas that are traveled frequently but not practical for most situations. A good winch and perhaps an aluminum Danforth anchor or a pull-pal incase there are no trees is the fastest option.

Here ya go:

this is the only pic I could find on the net, don't know who the bike rider is, but in the Caribou Hills, they rough cut a bunch of boards, and nailed them to logs across the muskegs, and some of the nastier mudholes. I ride this trail every day (as do hundreds others throughout the year) and it's been there I think 5 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I have seen all kinds of stuff thrown into holes. If there is a bunch of stuff you do stand a chance of getting hung up on it. Just get yourself some good tires and do it like this, it's much more fun MudMachine BiTri Claws on my 02 660 Griz.

OMG SYND! How dare you tear up a allready used trail! shame, shame, shame! LOL.......

One thing that will work are small spruce trees (yes, the entire tree). Find some 8-10' trees and lay 'em down in the ruts. The trunk will hold the branches firm enough for you to get through most of the time. Kind of acts like a snowshoe.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    OMG SYND! How dare you tear up a allready used trail! shame, shame, shame! LOL.......
    this one's on private property and is a springtime hole

To cross some creeks we've used a tri-fold aluminum ramp to span the banks. Kinda a pain to pack around if you aren't going to use it a bunch though...