Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A word of warning.

Default A word of warning.

I decided to take my 8-year old daughter out on a quick rabbit hunt this Saturday Morning. She had been practicing with her 22 and she was excited to get out on her first rabbit hunt with her little beagle Milly. I decided to try some place close as I live in Wasilla. There is a spot off Matanuska road heading toward the flats where you can walk adjacent to the railroad tracks and not tresspass on RR property. (I hear that they are ticketing cars that are parked within 100 ft.) As always there was a couple of pick-ups already there. My eight year old got out of the car and was holding the beagle on the leash. I noticed that there was a sign close by so I went over to make sure the property was not posted, I also was marking the coord's into the GPS. As I look up I see two pit-bulls running down the road at my daughter. One of the dogs grabs the beagle and starts shaking her like a rag doll by the neck. I yell for my daughter to get in the car as I attempt to grab my dog as her collar was cut nearly in two by the pit-bull, I get bit for my efforts of course, and notice the owner watching from about 50 feet away. He lives in the only shack on the road about 300 yards and around the corner. I scream "your dogs are killing my dog!" "He calmly responds "You guys come down here hunting and let your dogs run loose, what do you expect?" Finally I wedge my hand enough in the Pit-bulls mouth to make him loose his grip. After grabbing the beagle by the rear legs, she manages to escape under my car. I get her to get in the other side while the owner calls his dogs off and starts walking away. It took all of my effort to get in my car and keep the guns in the cases, trust me. As I drive by I rolled down the window and asked him if he owned the property were the attack took place. He said no, and again yelled at me that his "dogs" have a right to outside and (do there duty). I asked him why he did not help with his dogs. He said "I have a bad hip."

Conclusion: 2 hours at the vet, 1 hour at the animal control office lodging a complaint, 3 hours in the emergency room. A beagle full of staples and drain tubes, a broken finger and missing fingernail. $1500 in medical bills for me and the dog. But the sad thing. I pray my daughter will still want to go hang out with dad on a Saturday doing a little hunting. Still, we were blessed!!

As of today, animal control is two officers down and will not go "try to make contact" until Thursday. These dogs are still out there...be careful please.

Mark

Sorry to hear about that.

Too bad you didn't already have a gun out. It sounds like you could have legally shot the pit bulls.

And I would have thanked you for doing so.

Hmmmm.....Pit Bulls.....Seems like we had a thread about them not too long ago.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Alaskadad,

I know the area well and the road you speak of, be careful, the pit bulls aren't your only worry in that area. I know a trapper who traps that whole area extensively and has done so for many years.

I'm so sorry to hear you had a run in like that though! We had a few run ins with him as well, but his dogs were on restraint at that point. Press the issue and don't give up! Ask that the dogs be classified. Thats about all you can do for a first offense when no death has occurred. You can also go to small claims court, but really, from the looks of things where he lives I doubt that he has much to go after.

Sending lots of well wishes your way!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

If I lived in that area I would offere to go back with you and hide in the trees with a gun. Those dogs need to be taken out. It's just plain luck your daughter wasn't hurt. Those dogs are a threat to people!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Two in the chest and one in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    If I lived in that area I would offere to go back with you and hide in the trees with a gun. Those dogs need to be taken out. It's just plain luck your daughter wasn't hurt. Those dogs are a threat to people!

Terrible for sure, yet one more reason to always carry a pistol. I hope they follow through.

here i was just thinkin' of takin my 5 year old out for rabbits this week...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

As soon as he answered "their not on my property", BANG, BANG, Problem solved. Not sure officer, they were attacking me and my dog so I used deadly force, I feared for my life!

I was a part of the "discussion" a couple weeks back about Pitt's and other breeds known to be aggressive. I personally have no problem with these breeds, but, if the owner is a "D.A." then, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. My neighbor has a Pitt with a attitude, I have the cure if he comes at me again................

Truly sorry to hear of you terrifying hunting trip, especially with your daughter, hop all (you, daughter, dog) pull through.

Curt

Those dogs should be getting dirt shoveled on them.

Our policy out here in our little corner of Aleutian Hell is if your dog (which should be restrained anyway) shows aggression toward someone, they get whacked period. I've dumped a few already and the list is growing.

On my own time, all they have to do is cross the property line into Stevelyn's free-fire zone.
    Now what ?

Default BS

Sorry you had to deal with that...
    I would like to hear what happens, if anything. If you think about and hear from the officers, could you keep us posted?

I asked him why he did not help with his dogs. He said "I have a bad hip."
    Yeah..... that right...probablly from all the butt kickings he's gotten and still hasn't learned.
    I would have got out and put a big knot on his head and then said.... now we're almost even.
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

To be honest I would have shot the dogs. I carry a glock a 23 and that would have been good to get of them dogs with. They are not good pets and should be sleeping under ground right now.

I have heard about those dogs chasing people before. They need to go!

Good on you for not shooting the dogs in front of your daughter even though it would have been justified. You did all the right things in this case. Can the troopers get involved in this? It's almost like the man with the dog's used them as a weapon beings he did not try to stop the situation. It's obvious this guy has trained his dog's for this type of thing. Understaffed or not those dog's should have been confiscated right away. Those dog's are an immediate threat to public safety and should be removed now, not 4 days from now. What is Animal control thinking? They need better justification than to tell you that they are 2 officers down. I just hope those dogs do no more harm until they are taken care of. This is just a terrible situation to see a young hunter go through. I hope she holds her head up high and gives it another try.

When I read about stuff like this it just wrentches my insides. Especially when it is so blatent and pre-meditated as this. We often read about children or perhaps know someone, a friend perhaps who has a child that wanders into a dog yard and this child may get chewed to peices and is scarred for life. But to have an adult knowingly and willingly allow his rabid dogs chew apart people on public land, he doesn't even know, is wrong and unlawful. Someone please help this man and his daughter get this cruel an mean person with his rabid dogs off of the public street, and get the law on them for what he has done which is so wrong. Even if was on his private property it still would be wrong to allow this cruel behavior to innocent people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Especially when it is so blatent and pre-meditated as this.
    EXACTLLY!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    .....They need better justification than to tell you that they are 2 officers down.......
    Standard policy in order to force the Borough to stand up a sheriff's department. It's old hat.

Default Here! Here!

I'm so sick and tired of this breed it isn't funny. We had a small ranch in TX, about the only livestock we had left were Spanish Goats. Neighbor had a BIG Pitbull, the pit, german shepard and golden retreiver would come under the fence and kill our goats. The pit was paticularly vicious. He would cripple them by taking out their hind quarter and then disembowel then alive. He killed our herd nanny who was packin twins, well I killed her by putting a bullet between her eyes, but he tore her up so bad she was beyone saving and she birthed the twins just before I had to put her down, but they didn't make it either, dispite all of our efforts. I got my turkey camo on, grabbed my 11-87 with 3" Rem duplex loads (4x6s). Tooted on the varmint call and it took all of about 2 minutes for the SOB to show up. I ended his evil ways. I did try to contact the owner to no avail. Amazing thing, cause this dog was so big, he took 4 rounds and dragged his sorry ass home. The owner never said a word, but he did fill in all the gaps on our fence line with cactus. I also dispatched another Pitbull who killed one of our baby goats. His mother died in birth and all the other nannys rejected him, but one finally took him but he almost didn't make it. We named him Rocky because he beat the odds, I saw the goats running around and went outside and they were spooked, so I did a head count and all were accounted for except Rocky. His blood hadn't ever coagulated yet, grabbed the 22-250, a few bleats on the varmint call and he showed up in less than 2 minutes. Ended his evil ways. When I was building houses, a guy on the paint crew had a Pit and bragged how bad @$$ he was, "but was great with the kids", I warned him it wasn't if, but when he bit one of them. Well a week later he was having a birthday party for his daughter, 5 yrs old. The dog jumped up and tore her cheek off, he was just amazed, couldn't believe it and I could go on and on about personal experiences with these dogs, KILL EM ALL, don't give a crap who I offend or if you're offended, just the way I feel. So spare me any negative responses cause I don't care! You are darn lucky your daughter wasn't seriously hurt, and this JERK would just stand there cause deep down he really enjoys watching his little monsters do their thing. Maybe he's bitter at the world, but hey no fear, in another month or so depending on the outcome of the election, he'll be able to get his hip fixed, buy a new truck or be given one, put new siding on his shack and...KILL EM ALL! Oh yhea, my personal experience with animal control in Palmer is not good. They appear to be a bunch of bureacrats who don' give a hoot about your problem, just so long as the paperwork is filled out, blah, blah, blah.

My best friend is coming down to anchorage this weekend with my lab. I would be more than happy to go for a walk saturday and see what happens...... If those dogs are a hazard they need to be put down. How hard would it have been for them to go after the little girl?

If those pit bulls attacked my daughter or dog, their owner would have a lot more to worry about than his hip.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast