Thread: Gooseneck boat trailers

Default Gooseneck boat trailers

Has anyone seen large gooseneck trailers adapted by removing the deck, cutting cross members, making a vee- configuration, mounting in a set of bunks, and used as boat trailers? My dad was telling me about several guys on the OR/WA coast hauling 24-28' boats on adapted goosenecks. They mount an electric winch up in the arch and helps pull the boat on the trailer when taking the boat out of the water. It sounded like a good idea considering how much more stable a gooseneck would be to pull compared to bumper pulling. Any info or inputs would be useful. Has anyone seen such a creation up here?

I've had 2- 5th wheel boat trailers. On each one, I had a local trailer manufacturer build the 5th wheel trailer, less the bunks. I had to draw them a picture of what I wanted. It took them awhile to figure out I only wanted a bare frame, axles, and lights; nothing else. I custom built the bunks to fit the particular boat hull. One trailer was for my 25' Tollycraft, the other trailer is for my 34' boat I'm currently building. I've had standard hitch trailers and 5th wheel trailers. In my opinion, the 5th wheel trailer is much safer, tracks straighter, allows you to pull more weight, and is much better for higher speed or long distance hauling. That being said, whether a 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer would be beneficial all depends on the truck you have, the weight of your boat, and how far you will be traveling with the boat. Here is a pic of my 5th wheel trailer with the 34' boat hull in tow. When this boat is finished, I couldn't legally or comfortably pull this boat with a standard trailer hitch behind my dually. With a 5th wheel hitch, my truck is rated to pull the weight legally and I'll feel confident doing it, even over a long distance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Powderpro,
    You hauled that hull out of maine ? didn't you. Is it here in alaska or somewhere else right now? What kind of permits did you need to haul it??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder- Do you subscribe to National Fisherman? There was a brief write-up on my boat in the "Around the Yards" section, maybe you saw the article.

Anyway, the hull is from Maine, designed by Calvin Beal Jr. of Beals Island, Maine. Boat is being built by my father and I in Kansas City (where we live) for Cook Inlet salmon drift. I had a permit service get me all the permits from the 10 states we had to travel through. The $200 I paid for their services were WELL worth it. The permit needed was an Oversize Permit. Each state wants to know the info on truck, trailer, and cargo, length, weight, width, axle spacing, etc. I got one-way, oversize permits, with instructions from each state on the specific route that I was to take. I basically submitted the route that I wanted to take, and they either approved it, or changed it slightly.

Our boat should be ready to fish the 2010 Cook Inlet salmon season (SO3H).

Default Darned Nice trailer

That is precisely what I had in mind. My hull is only 26' and 5500lbs so a tandem axle version will work. I agree on the safety and tracking. When I shifted from bumper pull to 5th wheel on the travel trailers I was amazed. Thats what got me curious about boat trailers. Mounting a good electric winch up on the arch in front of the bow ring would work great. You could stand up nice and dry in the back of the truck and winch the boat on.
    Thanks for the pics.