Thread: Question for the interior guys

Default Question for the interior guys

What portable ice fishing shelters are you interior guys using???
    I'm in Yellowknife, NWT and our winters are like yours.
    I'm looking for one that is of flip over design 1/2 person that can stand our coooooold winters.
    Thanks for the help.

Default Ice Shelter

Drifter,

The ice shelter I use is the quick pop out type, no "tent" stakes to worry about. I find it very nice as it pops down into a somewhat small bag. Mine is the Eskimo Quickfish III, I know you said you were looking for something smaller. Mine can fit three grown men plus a heater, but it is most comfortable with only two. I have not had any problem with mine yet, but it was new last winter, so we'll see what another season does to it.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by growden1 View Post
    Drifter,

The ice shelter I use is the quick pop out type, no "tent" stakes to worry about. I find it very nice as it pops down into a somewhat small bag. Mine is the Eskimo Quickfish III, I know you said you were looking for something smaller. Mine can fit three grown men plus a heater, but it is most comfortable with only two. I have not had any problem with mine yet, but it was new last winter, so we'll see what another season does to it.

Fish On!
    I bought an Eastman Ice Cube last year and hated it. Trying to set it up by myself in -30C temps was impossible. I ended up tearing a seam after 25 minutes of wrestling with the dang thing first time out. I returned it the following day for a refund.
    I'm looking at the flip over type for ease of deployment and mobility.

Frabill makes a nice one that is a big rectangle, my buddy has one and if i get anymore details i will add them. I've heard its really easy to set up and has plenty of room for 3 people. I have a Frabill flip over one and it does the job but it is primarily a one man shelter, you can do two, but it is difficult.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Ice Cube

Drifter, you must have just gotten a bad one. I've been using my Ice Cube for two seasons now almost every weekend after the ice is safe down to temps of -30. Haven't had any problems with it at all. Growden is right, three people and a buddy heater is fine but two is better. It probably isn't as portable as some but if you throw all your stuff in a jetsled, two people can drag it just about anywhere you want to go.

another quickfish III user here in fairbanks....two winters down third one coming up fast and I still love it. Cheaper and more versatile than a flip over shelter and with the exception of a zipper problem it's been completely trouble free.

In fact I want the "6" version so I have more room when fishing with more people.

My buddy has an ice cube and it's basically the same thing. We've used both of them in -20*F to -30*F plenty of times...set up and take down take in a minute maybe two tops (including restowing it in the bag) it's extremely fast and easy once you figure out how the hubs work (be sure to remove the windows when folding it up in extreme cold to avoid cracking them)

A flip over is great and of course I'd love to have one if I could afford it! Really though I usually drive my truck right to my fishing spot and I think having to load/unload a big sled out of my truck bed at both the start and end of each trip would be kind of a pain.

Question for you guys with the quickfish IIIs...how do you keep the ice tent from blowing away? Shovel slush around the edges?

I've been using an old pop out style two man shelter with a half wooden floor.

Quote Originally Posted by sep View Post
    Question for you guys with the quickfish IIIs...how do you keep the ice tent from blowing away? Shovel slush around the edges?

I've been using an old pop out style two man shelter with a half wooden floor.
    It comes with stakes that screw into the Ice. Works good, keeps it from blowing away.
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Eskimo came out with the quickfish 6 last year. Guys this is the best thing since sliced bread. We spent 3 days on flathorne Lake in it. Caught boatloads of pike. The wind blew all weekend and the temp never topped -20. we had room for 2 cots a cooler 2 tanks of propane 2 fishing chairs and a card table, man it was great. They hold up to the wind and they make a great tent for winter camping to. I busted a belt on my snowmachine on anther trip and had to spend the nite. I just dug a 6x6 hole popped open my QF3 staked it down and stayed nice and toasty till my buddy showed up the next day with a new belt. There are plenty of applications for these shelters that goe well beyond just being a good fishing shelter.

I'm looking at the flip over type for ease of deployment and mobility.[/quote]

I used to like the flip overs for the same reasons you expressed but I have seen the wind destroy a flip over in seconds. I dont have to worry about that with my pop up because it is staked to the ice and there is nothing for the wind to catch. I have been able to fish all day in some big winds while the guys with the flip over models had to pack it in.

Default Qf 6

My Quickfish 6 has also doubled as a moose camp. Two guys, tons of gear (always dry), being able to stand up to unzip the tent. We just tarped the floor and were in business in less than 3 minutes. When it blew we added tent stakes, and tied off to a few trees. We also tarped the top for a little rain protection. I carry a peice of old carpet for ice fishing. It insulates well and I can take off my boots to stick my feet next to the heater. I have also doubled tarped the tent and used it to spear pike last winter.

I want a 6 bad, still haven't seen one in person, but I love the 3 and it's always a little small when I take the whole family or more than one other adult.

did you buy yours at sportsmans down there? I've never seen the 6 in our store here...Anyone know if they have them in Anchorage or Wasilla this season? As of a week or so ago they didn't here in fairbanks.

as to the wind...I've only staked mine once and even then I only did the upwind corner (lazy?)...just kick snow on the skirt...it sets up quick and it actually takes a noticeable effort to reclaim it at the end of the day!

sportsmans warehouse said they are getting some but they go fast.

Cabelas has the 6 for $399, Cat# 12-3648