Thread: Blacktail deer PWS

Default Blacktail deer PWS

Have always hunted south side Kodiak for deer. This year I have the forest service cabin on green island reserved for mid November. Has anyone on here hunted this island? Would appreciate any tips or advice.
    Biologist told me that the island has the highest deer per acre ratio in the sound. But on the same token the worst hunting success due to the thick vegetation. I was planning on getting away from the cabin and using the slow stalk method with maybe a fawn bleat.

907Jeff- We dropped a few friends off on Green Island in September. They saw quite a few deer but nothing legal. All I know, is that they were exhuasted when we picked them up on the boat a few days later. The vegetation is thick and there are a lot of creeks to cross. But they also were trying to camp in tents in the rain...having the cabin reserved sounds a lot more appealing. good luck!

Default Careful

Quote Originally Posted by 907jeff View Post
    Have always hunted south side Kodiak for deer. This year I have the forest service cabin on green island reserved for mid November. Has anyone on here hunted this island? Would appreciate any tips or advice.
    Biologist told me that the island has the highest deer per acre ratio in the sound. But on the same token the worst hunting success due to the thick vegetation. I was planning on getting away from the cabin and using the slow stalk method with maybe a fawn bleat.

If you decide to start blowing a fawn bleat on Kodiak have someone watch your back; You might not be the only thing hunting. In mid-November the carnivours may or may not all be asleep, depending on the weather.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Ditto to what AnneC said

Some buddies hunted there 2-3 weeks ago and came up with nothin'...but I hear that the cabin is A#1 for comfort. Who knows...maybe a dumb deer will wander your way? Stranger things have happened!

Just got back from sound yesterday started as goat hunt ended hunting deer for 2 days. In two areas little or no sign have heard as a whole, deer #'s are down from severe winters last two years. Did not have my good call and had to make a couple one evening but they were marginal at best. Good call may have brought a few out of brush.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Thanks to all these great members

I really appreciate all of the great tips. I have been told that there are no bears on green island. While I find this hard to believe, I am very excited about the possibility of leaving my 338 winmag behind and hunting with a open sight 30-30! On Kodiak this would not have been an option. And to the reply that questioned whether bears would be out in November on Kodiak I can first hand assure you that they are out.

Default Green

Hey Jeff,
    I'll be glassing green in about 3 days, this is my first hunting trip down there as well. Plan on looking it over on the way to Montegue. Not sure when exactly you're going, we should be back sometime between 31-2, I'll try to give you a report if possible.
    Cody

We got only one about a week and a half ago.
    I found a nice highway leading up the ridge south of the cabin. Head down the ramp to the west and into the thicket wicket on the left.
    Once up there it was bust brush, end up in clearing, bust brush, etc.
    We saw a huge fish in a nice deep creek near the west side of the island.

We did have to fix the oil stove in the cabin. Basically had to clean out the piping and such. It was working good when we left.
    No wood there but there are saws and such. There is a nice deck all the way around the cabin so bring some good, and enough, drinky winky.
    Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.-Thomas Jefferson

A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I went to green at the opening of the season. Kicked up a small buck the first day, but wasn't able to get off a shot. There is tons of sign on the island, so definately alot of deer there. But as mentioned with the heavy vegitation, and lack of elevation to get up and class it'll be tough to hunt.

I've also heard it is free of bears, and I didn't see any bear sign.

Enjoy your hunt. I'd love to get back over there, but my boat just isn't big enough to head out in the sound in the winter. My last trip out in September when we had weather windows going out and heading back, and basically just hunkered down while it blew was enough fun for one season.

As to the iron sighted thutty thutty, even though Green is a small island with heavy vegitation, there are still possiblilities for longer shots. I'd hate to be out there, find a deer bedded on the edge of a clearing 200 yds out, and not be able to take the shot due to iron sights.

Default be careful

I drive a ship in the sound and there has been 2 boats missing out at Montague. First one was a 40' out of Valdez and the second was a 22' out of Whittier. They may have been located by now, but the CG was broadcasting that they were overdue. The airforce had to medevac someone off Montague last weekend. Sounded like a broken leg & hypothermia. Why anyone would be crazy enough to take a 22' boat from Whittier to Montague in this weather is beyond me. Today it was blowing 40+ Knots out of the west and 5' rollers in Wells Passage. Snow is down to the beach in Passage Canal and about at the 1000' level on Knight Island. Storey, Peake and Naked just got their first dusting last night.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    I drive a ship in the sound and there has been 2 boats missing out at Montague. First one was a 40' out of Valdez and the second was a 22' out of Whittier. They may have been located by now, but the CG was broadcasting that they were overdue. The airforce had to medevac someone off Montague last weekend. Sounded like a broken leg & hypothermia. Why anyone would be crazy enough to take a 22' boat from Whittier to Montague in this weather is beyond me. Today it was blowing 40+ Knots out of the west and 5' rollers in Wells Passage. Snow is down to the beach in Passage Canal and about at the 1000' level on Knight Island. Storey, Peake and Naked just got their first dusting last night.
    We just got back Tuesday form PWS out of Whittier after being out a week. While we were off Disk Island we listened on the marine VHF to the so-called missing 40 footer talking with the CG. It sounded like they had not planned to be back, but someone on shore called them in late. They were hunting and fine...told the CG that they were planning on coming out Wednesday unless the weather turned bad and would stay out longer if need be. It was good to hear they were safe and sound and seemed to be having fun hunting. They did not say if they had gotten anything though...

Three of the days we were out had either calm seas or less than 3 foot seas. Easy to get around on those days. The bad days we just curled up in a protective cove and played cards or went to shore and stomped all over the ground trying to avoid all the bear scat. If you are not in a hurry, a smaller boat can be okay, but you have to know what you are doing. Having a Satellite Phone on board (just in case) is also a re assuring insurance plan IMHO
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Just came back from Green Island on Monday. Weather wasn't great but we managed. Saw four deer total. Played a lot of cards due to wind and rain. Came home with two doe's. Had to hunt in the sticks and chase them out. Keep an eye on the beaches if you get a sunny day/evening. Iron sights???? Tough call, there are several clearings on Green that give openings for long shots when the deer are moving. Plus a long shot on the beach is very likely mid Nov. We hunted Green last year and also came back with two deer (small bucks) they were taken off the beach mid Oct. but I'm glad I had the 3X9 Leupold. You'll like the cabin it's one of the nicest if not the nicest in PWS. Good Luck!!!

might i asky why you passed up the south end of kodiak for green island? seems like a step backwards..but i haven't been there, just readin' guys reports...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default reply to why pws

Wanted to try something new. And the cost of Kodiak was quite a bit higher than last year. It looks like with some hard work and some miles put on my boots that this hunt could be just as successful. I am not afraid of the brush. In fact the brushier the better! The deer are there I just have to figure out where they are hiding.

Default Pretty thick stuff

Hiked Green Isl. this past Labor Day. A ton of game trails, but did not see one deer. The devils club was thick, but eventually it will clear and you will get into some clearings. Good Luck. We started our hike from the Cabin. No bears, at least I didnt see any. Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"