Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpener

Default Knife Sharpener

What is the best knife sharpener out there. Looking to purchase one and dont know what brand is the best. Are the electric or handheld ones the best? Anyone have great results to report. Thanks in advance

I like my Lansky. you can get a knife razor sharp and not mess it up. the table top clamp was a nice addition to the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I like my Lansky. you can get a knife razor sharp and not mess it up. the table top clamp was a nice addition to the kit.
    x2. Lansky all the way. And a good stone to keep in your pack for touch ups in the field.

Just looked at the lanskys, what model are you both referring to...Thanks

I've heard good things about the Edge Pro and plan on buying one to see if they live up to all the hype. http://www.edgeproinc.com/

gatco or lansky, same principle but wicked sharp and easy to resharped due to the same bevel each time, they'll hold an edge alot longer than a free hand sharpened one as well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

the lansky gets my vote too. not the fastest sharpener in the world but you really get an excellent edge and you can't really screw it up. For fast and decent edge the crock sticks are good.

got a Gatco(same thing as Lansky) and love it....it's fool proof for those of us that dont know how to free-hand on the stone

Not to hi-jack but does anyone strop or have any advice on stropping? I heard that this is essential.

Stropping is highly recommended if you know how to do it. It basically takes the burrs off the edge and makes it smooth like butter.

exactly what I HEARD, but do you have any advice or point me in the direction, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Stropping is highly recommended if you know how to do it. It basically takes the burrs off the edge and makes it smooth like butter.

Default Same Principal

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    exactly what I HEARD, but do you have any advice or point me in the direction, thanks!
    http://www.classicshaving.citymax.co...90351/4057.htm

OP1

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Just looked at the lanskys, what model are you both referring to...Thanks
    I didn't find the lansky, but this is the link to cabela's gatco which is pretty much the same http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20897&rid=

Thanks OP!!

Default Not to highjack here...

and I suck at sharpening knives, but my friend had his knife (a kershaw-swap out blade type) had his sharpened at the Cutting Egde in Fairbanks. The sharpest knife I have ever used. We did 3 cows with it this fall and stayed as sharp as the first. I noticed it losing a little edge on the 3rd, but I had used it on 2 sets of ribs already, so was doing my share of dulling it. I know that my knives are going in to them this winter for sharpening.

thanks for the story. I also have the same Kershaw Alaska Pack that Im sure your talking about. That knife has done 2 moose a caribou and a bear and is just now losing its edge. I will try that flace out here in Squarebanks. Thanks

Default kershaw AKan

I too have that knife set and it has done a great job. I put a 22 degree angle on it with the Gatco sharpener and is outstanding. Something to think about depending on what they are charging you to sharpen.

To keep things semi on track I sharpen with the Lansky sysstem & then in the field Itouch up with a diamond stick.

Kershaw blade trader question... On mine the skinning/guthook blade fits loose in both of my blade trader handles. Will actually rattle. It is measurably thinner than the other blades. Is this normal or do I need to contact Kreshaw?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Kershaw blade trader question... On mine the skinning/guthook blade fits loose in both of my blade trader handles. Will actually rattle. It is measurably thinner than the other blades. Is this normal or do I need to contact Kreshaw?
    That Kershaw with the changeable blade is the most dangerous knife i ever bought.... it fit loose and folded out when skinning.. i have more serious cuts from using it then any other knife combined....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default sharpener

hey bud. got to be a bit more specific do you want a mechanical sharpener? or a stone... what applications are you wanting and how much are you willing to spend... if a stone is what you want get a arkansas stone get a really fine stone the more clear the stone the finer it is. a 6" to 8" stone will run you about $60 to $80. now if its a mechanical stone you want for the kitchen for a quick easy sharp blade i have a pamplete somewhere you can order from i will find for you.. I have worked in meat cutting since i was a child and no machine yet has impressed me more than the one i have... Im at work right now and cant remember the name but when i get home i will look for the info for you.. they are from africa if i remember right. they are $100 and are **** worth it 3 passes and you have a fresh blade... now you wont put it in your sheep pack but the kitchen counter is a perfect home just to test it I put a old rusted homemade blade my grandfather made from a saw blade through it and i could have probably performed surgery with the thing.
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

So to answer a few questions, Stetsoncoltoutdoors, I think I want to go with both. I would like one for the house so I can sharpen everything at home and also would like one for the field as well if they start to get dull. I would be interested in looking at the one you are describing from Africa. Vance in AK, To answer the Kershaw Alaska Blade Changer, this is by far the best knife I have ever used. After using it on the numerous animals mine did also become very loose. I ended up putting the handle where the blades lock into in a vise and clamping down on it and the blade sits in there tighter now then it did when I got it. I did that before my moose hunt this year and had no problems what so ever with it. If you have access to a vise I would highly recommend it but be careful on just how much pressure you put on it or youll have to pry it back open. If your in fairbanks or north pole give me a shout and well get it tight if you dont have access to one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast