Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handguns for hunting

Default Handguns for hunting

How much sucess can you have with a .22 pistol for rabbit hunting?

It really depends. I usually carry a Browning Buckmark on my hip and a 12 gauge. When I run across a bunny sitting still I use the Buckmark. For all those other brush busting bunnies I use the 12. I won't leave home without the Browning if I'm bunny hunting.

Default depends

great success if you walk slow...I mean sloooooooooooooow. If you have someone else go with you then have him push them and you go about 50 yards up in front of him. I use this tech with a bow and works great..they push the rabbits way before they see them with the guns...I was surprised by this last year as they only saw on one push about 4 when I had about 10 come by me..was a great way to bag some with a bow..they would bust ass for about 20-30 yards and then just hop along...picking them up when they would stop for a min. Was to easy and sure it can be done with a 22 as well..othewise..just walk slow and look for them...if it warms up a bit..doubt it..they will stand out...so funny watching them try to hide when they are as white as it can be,,,huggin that tree or sitting in the open. Get in the thick stuff and shoot straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    great success if you walk slow...I mean sloooooooooooooow. If you have someone else go with you then have him push them and you go about 50 yards up in front of him. I use this tech with a bow and works great..they push the rabbits way before they see them with the guns...I was surprised by this last year as they only saw on one push about 4 when I had about 10 come by me..was a great way to bag some with a bow..they would bust ass for about 20-30 yards and then just hop along...picking them up when they would stop for a min. Was to easy and sure it can be done with a 22 as well..othewise..just walk slow and look for them...if it warms up a bit..doubt it..they will stand out...so funny watching them try to hide when they are as white as it can be,,,huggin that tree or sitting in the open. Get in the thick stuff and shoot straight.
    The old saying "curiosity killed the cat" should've been "curiosity killed the rabbit"! Rabbits bust and run a ways, then stop and look back or hide behind something with part of their body still showing. They're not smart (fortunately for me.)

Brian

Default You can have at LEAST this much...

And I'd venture to say that hunting with the .22 means that if you're just a little too low on the head shot that you won't blow off the front of the entire rabbit! I'd show you the picture of the spruce hen that I shot with this .44Mag pistol, but--there weren't enough feathers left on the ground to piece together a picture of the bird.

Yeah, this rabbit wasn't too darn sneeky...
    Attached Images Attached Images

They work great!!

My old Ruger Single-six was finally retired to the display case...took more of them bunnies than I can count (course...it had been kiling bunnies since my grandfather was a kid!).

I use a Marlin .22 rifle...eyes aren't quite what they used to be

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    And I'd venture to say that hunting with the .22 means that if you're just a little too low on the head shot that you won't blow off the front of the entire rabbit! I'd show you the picture of the spruce hen that I shot with this .44Mag pistol, but--there weren't enough feathers left on the ground to piece together a picture of the bird.

Yeah, this rabbit wasn't too darn sneeky...
    Back when I was a bit more cavalier about my shooting, I once shot a rabbit with a .357 and the rabbit was standing right in front of a large rock. Either the bullet or the shrapnel did a number on that bunny ...I shot it in the shoulder area and it left a huge hole ...nothing but one thin strip of skin along the back and chest still holding the head to the body. Still got the backstrap and hindquarters out of it though. I'm a lot more conservative with my hunting nowadays though ...And a .22 LR solid is fine with me, and I never shoot unless I have a good shot. Other than the caliber, that's how I shoot all game ...for the meat, and only if I can shoot humanely and cleanly.

Brian

One way to use large caliber handguns against small game is to download them. With my 480 ruger I'd put one round under the pin that was loaded with a 310 gr @ 700 fps. I've taken several spruce hens with that load, and somehow managed to put them through the body as the trajectory is lower than my full power loads. Entrances are caliber size, exits are quarter size. Really not much meat lost.

Is the Ruger bearcat a good gun for the job?

The bearcat is severely hampered by the lack of adjustable sights. I've shot a couple that were POA and several that were not even close.

For small game I'd much rather have adjustable sights...

i have a ruger bearcat that shoots just great with cci ammo and have taken bunnies, red squirrels, and partridge with it. just try different loads to find your most accurate one.

generally though, my browning buckmark micro is the handgun of choice, and (adjustible sights) is more versatile. as an aside.........."castners cuthroats" carried .22auto pistols in the fight for the aleutians, which kept them in meat, and also served for protection.

happy trails.
    jh

How about a Ruger Mark III standard 6 inch barrel. Dad's buying me one for christmas.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    How about a Ruger Mark III standard 6 inch barrel. Dad's buying me one for christmas.
    is a wonderful hand gun...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Think it will take care of those rabbits? How does it perform in the cold, I do mean COLD of Ak not AR.

I have used one of my ruger MK1s to about 40 below when I live in Nome and it worked fine, but I've never tried it in really cold weather.

I've had a ruger markII for several years its a very solid gun works great in the cold and extreemly accurate. Its the last thing many grouse and rabits have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    How much sucess can you have with a .22 pistol for rabbit hunting?

How much do you practice?

The mark III will be a great small game gun for you just remember it's like an other skill you get out what you put in. The gun will handle colder temps they you can.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Get a Raging Hornet or Raging Bee....you will then be bequeathed a kicker of ass handun that can reach out and touch rabbits, marmots, coyotes, etc. Heavy handgun but what a functional work of art.

i still like my browning buckmark micro, as it is an excellent shooter and functions at all temps that i feel like hunting in. -40 might be stretch, but i have never tried.

i use a military "pilots" shoulder holster, which is more like a chest holster, designed to carry a colt .45......works great.

practice is easy and cheap, and usually part of my hunting-foraging trip.

this pistol has a great trigger, which is the basis for good shooting. it breaks clean @ under 3#, with a bit of overtravel.

happy trails.
    jh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast