Thread: Resizing new brass....

Default Resizing new brass....

I have heard 2 different ways of this. I know someone who takes a new bag of brass and full length resizes the NEW brass. Someone else told me that it is only necessary to neck size those that have a dented neck.

Is it necessary to f.l. resize the new brass? If it matters they both use Winchester brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbrier View Post
    I have heard 2 different ways of this. I know someone who takes a new bag of brass and full length resizes the NEW brass. Someone else told me that it is only necessary to neck size those that have a dented neck.

Is it necessary to f.l. resize the new brass? If it matters they both use Winchester brass.
    Not a whole lot will be accomplished resizing the body of a new case, mostly because it's already been shaped to minimum dimensions to assure chamber fit. You just won't be doing much to it with the pass of the die, and meanwhile adding a lot more case cleaning to remove the lube.

That's not true of the necks however. It's realy easy for necks to get dinged in handling after manufacture, especially if it's bagged rather than boxed. Neck sizing trues up the neck and is especially needed with Winchester, in my experience.

But don't stop there! Very often there's a bit of a lip or rollover right at the mouth of Winchester brass, even after neck sizing. You need to go ahead and chamfer the case mouth inside and out, or you could run into pressure problems.

I didn't follow my own advice a few years back when prepping 200 new 257 Roberts cases and didn't bother to chamfer them. The particular 257 rifle I was loading for is custom chambered to minimum dimensions, and that little lip was enough to cause the neck to put extra drag on the bullet when fired. It took only 2 or 3 shots for me to recognize that I had problems and diagnose the source, but it took many hours to pull the bullets on the remaining 197 cases, chamfer them, and reload. Stupid is as stupid does!

Running new brass through a full length sizing die will likely just size the neck. The body won't touch the die as BrownBear mentioned, the brass is at minimum chamber dims.

The neck needs to be sized and this can be done in either a neck sizing die or an F/L die. The neck is not only dinged and dented it may not be the correct diameter to grip a bullet and it certainly won't be round. With the possible exception of Lapua, all new cases will need this neck sizing and inside chamfering before loading. I generally wait to trim until after firing unless I find a case over max length but trimming will further true up the uneven case mouth and is a necessary step for best performance.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Information is appreciated

Thank you for your valuable info. That makes perfect sense to me not to f/l size new brass.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Murphy beat me to it:

Oh Well, at least now, I know I was right.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.