Thread: Iced them, Literally

Default Iced them, Literally

Went out to duck lake on sat 18th with Duckhunter01. 20 deg at the boat launch. One other guy showed up as we were getting ready to head down.A lot of fog coming off the water as we headed down. You could see better with out a spot light then with it. Had a little problem with the pipe I warned everyone about in other posts. Ended up on top of it. Don't think I hurt anything. Got to the portage to find around 1/2 or so of ice. Got everything moved over. We took our own sweet time, the guy that showed up at the launch , made it to the portage as we where getting ready to head out across the Ice. Took it slow on the ice. Rivets and ice can equal water in boat. We had to make a hole in the ice and try to push it out of the way before we could start. I set the blind up on the boat and Duckhunter started setting out the deeks. As I started to help with the second bag we had geese flying low and ducks wanting to land in the deeks. Got in the boat right about shooting time then NOTHING at first then slowly they started coming in. Shooting time I believe was 8:21 we were done and heading back to the portage by noon. Should of been sooner but we kind of had trouble getting dialed in. I think because they where so close, in your face close The best way to describe it would be very memorable. Now for some pics
    One of my mallards on the ice note the scratch mark

One of Duckhunters pintails with scratch mark

A close up of a scratch mark

The set up. At this point the deeks where locked in ice

There where some other guys that came in off the slough and walked out by the flyin cabin We did see them drop a goose out of a flock of 75 or so I would guess. That were headed our way untill they shot. Oh well thats how the game is played. Also there was another guy crossing in at the portage when we were heading out. Hope he had as much fun as we did. We did do all the work with breaking trail. But thats ok too. I just wish I had taken some video of the ice breaking. Don't know what I was thinking. More pics
    Duckhunter picking up deeks

The trail refroze after we came in and had to be reopened on the way out.

One more ICED DUCK

And the end results. Two eight bird limits

Very, very nice! I've seen videos of birds trying to land in ice locked decoys berfore....entertaining to say the least. I love the impacts in the ice.

Default Last outing

well maybe...regardless me and AK Duckman had a great hunt. One of the best I have had here in Alaska. Birds decoyed great..for that matter any bird that came to the lake almost had to fly by and take a look. Busting ice was interesting and proved to be a very effective way of taking these late season birds. Like you said,,we should have limited out alot earlier and not because there were lots of birds...although shooting a full choke at birds 10ft can prove to be challenging to say the least.....and I did manage to count 27 pellet holes in one mallard while cleaning it. Trying to shoot a bufflehead at 10 yards moving 45mph was challenging as well but provided lots of fun and anguish. Great pictures..and a very memorable hunt for my last one of the season. I hope the guys in the canoes had as great of a hunt as we did. I would not want to paddle back to the boat ramp..but got to respect those diehards..was a lot of work for everyone that day involved in chasing our feathered friends.

I will miss next season due to an overseas commitment..but look forward to sharing your camp the season after that Duckman..thanks again. Everyone continue shooting straight and put some feathers in the air

Default Duckhunter01

PM sent. Thanks again. One of the best hunts I have had also.

Good pictures. That would have been fun, but cold. I would have loved to see those ducks bounce off the ice after being shot! I bet that was funny.

did you see, or shoot any teal? dang hearty Pintail still hanging around. Usually they are the first one's to take off and head south

Good pictures.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by honker View Post
    did you see, or shoot any teal? dang hearty Pintail still hanging around. Usually they are the first one's to take off and head south
    Duckhunter01 bagged 1 Green Wing. As for Pintails I think we ended with 3 or four, a few Scaup, some B-heads, a Goldeneye or two, some Mallards, and Widgeons. A real nice mixed bag of ducks. And a great end of season (so to speak ) hunt. There should of been some Geese in there too. But they got cut before they got to us. Duckhunter had them locked on us with his calling. I could almost see them in the oven. While cleaning one of the mallards I noticed it had a broken back from hitting the ice. Not a piece of shot any where to be found.

cool, glad to hear all the teal haven't left. They are my favorite duck beside a pintail and woody. Gads are good too. not too many of them up here i guess. teal is the main bird for us in the san joaquin valley of calif. if it were not for teal, huntin would be much slower.

i've never seen a buffllehead until a few years ago and we hardly get the buffleheads in the 25 yrs i've hunted our club but one of the club members was the only one to shoot a buffle in 2006 & 2007. He got 3 one day and I took one and need to have it mounted. you guys had so much fun. for me personally, i've hunted ducks over ice maybe only 4 times in my 35 yrs of huntin. Man the coffee sure goes down good on a day like you guys had. You remember those your entire life.

Next year i'll hope to have my boat. Really enjoyed them pics.

I don't really hunt the ice that much my self. But may have to do it more. I have always had good hunts on ice. Just don't like the wear and tear on the boat. But may have an idea for next year. I have to say this was the thickest I have ever hunted with my boat. 1/2 to 3/4 don't sound like much but it sure does on the bottom of the boat when your going through it.

Default Hunting Ice

As for the bag limits...As AK Duckman put it, was a great limit of differnt types of birds..I have never seen that many Buffle heads in a single flock..was litterly hard to get on that one little target.

As far as hunting ducks on or in ice..I have done this for years..When I was living in Kansas we could not wait for some ice, It meant some serious waterfowling with outstanding results every trip. Cold temps. med to high winds following the southern migration due to that cold northern pushing them down. I have literally used a chain saw to cut a hole in the ice and once the decoys were placed you could not keep the birds out. I have found that if you place a few full bodies, either mallards or a half dozen Canada’s on the edge of the ice, that is all it takes with a few floaters next to them on the upwind side of your hole...Brings me to a memory of one specific hunt where I woke up to a serious blizzard one morning..Customers had just arrived the night before. I showed up to the hotel to pick them up and they were still in bed..Stated that they did not think we were going due to the 30mph winds and the fact that they could not see across the street. Nonsense, get up and get dressed. (I had just scouted a hole the night before with over 500 birds sitting in a 30acre hole) rounded them up and headed for the marsh..upon arrival you could hear the birds from 100 yards away, blowing snow and the winds chewed it way through your clothing and the temp held around 10F, minus the wind chill...was going to be a great day..if I could get them down there. As I reached for the chain saw, one stated "going to build a blind this morning? Something like that..grab the gear and haul ass...when we approached the 30 acre hole..it irrupted with over 500 waterfowl..mallards and geese were the most obvious, and the noise was deafening as they pushed their way through the blinding snow. Interesting how you forget about the cold and conditions when you hear something like that You could literally feel them brush by as they fought to get in flight. With the winds high, blowing snow and limited visibility. I knew they would get up circle down south and start making their way back in here...They had kept open a hole open about 30 yards in diameter..perfect..I placed the three guys in a makeshift blind and headed out with the chainsaw...cranked it up and proceeded to cut away(1 1/2thick) at the edge opening the hole another 10 feet out along the edged..pushed the cut ice up on top and proceeded to place over 100 decoys in this little hole..2 dozen Canada full bodies around the cut edge, 1 dozen of full body mallards with the rest floating.. not to mention the birds landing feet away from me as I was placing decoys..now it was sit back and wait for shooting time....long story short 2 thermoses of coffee later, 4 limits of greenheads and 4 limits of geese in about an hour and a half. One of many of my experiences hunting over/in and around ice. The other great thing to remember about the love of ice...all water holes freeze up pushing the birds to the rivers and creeks..streams etc..if you can find them they will be there the next day. I learned allot guiding over the years...you have to change your tactics, ideas, spreads, calling tech, be able to adapt to many different weather changes as this plays the most important role in waterfowling, and sometimes do something that makes you uncomfortable (Like flipping a scanoe in 50mph winds)..we all live for that next cold, rainy, snowy, high winded, wet and miserable day for chasing our feathered friends..and all for a DUCK...

I thought that's what it was all about..

I had a blast out there with AK Duckman on this day..and when days like that dont become fun anymore..then it is time to sell all my **** for a huge discounted price and hang up the calls. That day will never come..so I enjoy every outing as it is going to be my last!!

what a day and thanks for that read. Gosh what a sight and sound that must have been. Guys who grew up and or hunted them states get the best weather. The best hunt I ever had over ice like i said didn't come easy when your living in blue bird weather of CA, but I remember a memorable Christmas day hunt. i was all alone and the only one hunting on the club. i broke a lot of ice and well....i'll just tell ya that I got myself one heck of an Italian limit.

2 yrs ago I went down and hunted dec & jan and it was the first time I broke ice like that in 15 yrs. I have some great pics of the dog breaking ice at 10 1/2 yrs old. she was still performing and she did great last year down there but we had no weather to speak of the entire year. No wind, no fog & 1 5 min. burst of showers one morning. pathetic! Thanks for the tips.

hey you guys forgot to share with us one cool pic! a pic of your shells layin on the ice

Default Shells

It would have been embarrassing....Enough said

Default I'm not complaning

27 rounds at 8 birds 3.375 shots per bird. I read some where the avarage is 5 shots per bird. Sure it should of been 8 shots for how close they were. I'm still not complaning. If I only shot 8 times it wouldn't of been as much fun

Default Lmao

Well said brother..well said. Unless of course you had 8 birds with those 8 shots..and in a way that would not have been much fun either.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Well said brother..well said. Unless of course you had 8 birds with those 8 shots..and in a way that would not have been much fun either.
    Sorry thats what I ment.

Great pics and a great thread, I'm learning. We didn't have much ice in Mississippi. I remember cussing 70 degree temps in January while duck hunting. I don't miss that. The season was short lived here, never did se "the birds from the north" I have heard so much about but loved my first Alaska duck season. I'll find beeter holes and more birds next year.

Default Adukhnt

Don't know if you own a boat or not. If not, I suggest something small. Unless you plan on hunting with someone 100% of the time. Where I do most all my hunting I have to portage my boat. And staying small I can get that done with less work. I have a partner I hunt with but nether one of us show up at camp at the same time. So we both run small outfits also if we chose to hunt together
    we can. It also let's us hunt in different locations, to not only locate where the birds are working but also help move them around. I'm fortunate to have at my disposal, A 12 foot flat bottom jon and an aqua pod both I can run my 6 hp hd mud buddy on. The pod I do most all my hunting. The 12 foot jon, I not only use to hall gear to camp, but if I need to take someone else along I can. Also I don't think the fiberglass on the pod would go to far on ice . If you feel a bigger boat is a must for you, You could always put a winch on it. But I wouldn't go over 14 ,16 at the largest and even then you will need to think about a set of wheels to portage it. Where I go it's 100 feet +- to the water, And much farther on the knik side. Also the lake I hunt has a 20 HP motor restriction. The slough don't. There are always places like the jim creek area or 20 mile, that you wouldn't have to worry about portaging. But then your limited to those areas. I like to keep all options open. There are guys that hunt out on the flats that run the slough with big boats over 16 foot, that don't portage. This you need to be care full of the tides. I know of several boats that have been swamped and one thats is setting on the bottom of rabbit slough because just care wasn't taken. It's the out going tide that will do you in.
    Anyway thats my 2 cents worth hope you find it helpful.